Dell looking at AMD CPUs

Mega6

2[H]4U
Brutus Dell stabs Caesar Intel in the back.

“We are evaluating AMD chips,” Dell CFO Tom Sweet said on Yahoo Finance’s The First Trade when asked how the tech giant plans to address Intel’s ongoing chip shortage. Sweet points out Dell does already use Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) chips in some instances but more business for AMD from Dell looks to be in the cards.”

https://apple.news/ApSTNwmA0Tme_9QBDbaie0w

With the news that Intel is not going to be able to keep up with the demand this is a good move on Dell's part. I am sure we will see others go this route as well if things stay the same.

With the news that Intel is not going to be able to keep up with the demand this is a good move on Dell's part. I am sure we will see others go this route as well if things stay the same.
HP has already sourcing AMD.

Dell has nothing to loose here. If they can fill the shortage with AMD chips, Great! If this news lights a fire under Intels ass and somehow they can start filling orders, Great!

Eventually OEM's will have to go where the goods are, the issue now is does AMD have the capacity to deliver in the numbers Dell needs?

I've been asking my Dell rep for AMD Optiplex micro machines since Ryzen first came out. Have used Optiplex 5050 with Ryzen 1700 CPUs recently. Security guards monitoring many high def video streams and access control tasks. Eats that workload up nicely where quad cores were being pushed to 80% usage 24/7.

HP has already sourcing AMD.
Dell has been for a while for their Business lineup just not in large but it is only within the last year or so that AMD has been capable of producing chips in quantities that Dell/HP/Lenovo would want and its only in the last year or so that there has been any significant demand for them in this space. Most importantly AMD has really stepped up their game in the last year on the BIOS and Chipset driver front, I have a few of their EPYC servers and each of them were unholy nightmares to get stable with almost weekly BIOS/Chipset updates that would fix an issue and introduce two more. I look forward to seeing what they can offer in their Laptop lineups in the coming future, in the Desktop space AMD has been viable for the last 2 years or so, but it is really only with the new 7nm parts that they have the power curves that make them viable in the mobile space.

This sounds like 'we will do this if you don't cut us a fat cheque, Intel'.
I don't trust Dell at all when AMD is on top. History repeats, so a premature 'fuck them'. People have already had issues getting AMD gear, some do, most don't - even when asked many times in purchasing departments. If they were a prudent company they'd already be stocking at least Zen2 and TR3 for workstations but no, they don't give a fuck and will keep selling 14nm crap they can get hold of, because of Intel bucks and volume discount pressure..

This is a way in for AMD and excuse for companies to dump intel as they can. its way better to be diversified when you have competing chips then having all eggs in one bucket. Just a good business practice. So we will see AMD just creep up slowly but surely.

Back