Dell Latitude D830 battery issues.

C7J0yc3

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Dell Latitude D830 that has a very strange battery issue. When I run the laptop plugged in, everything works perfectly. However when I unplug the laptop to run on battery I get about 30 seconds of battery life, and then the laptop powers off (not shuts down windows and then hibernates like what the critical battery alarm forces it to do, it just kills the power). In the last two months under warranty I have had the LCD assembly, motherboard, graphics card, and heatsink/fan replaced. I have two batteries that I have been trying with. One a Dell OEM battery, one a generic replacement. Both batteries produce the same results.

Some strange things that make me believe that its software related and not hardware.
-Running a linux live CD on battery is fine.
-Starting up on battery is fine until I get to the login page, then the laptop shuts down.
-All diagnostic tools I have run (memtest86, the dell diagnostics, etc) have turned up no issues.

Laptop configuration
Dell Latitude D830 BIOS Rev A15
Core 2 Duo T7700
nVidia Quatro NVS 140M
2GB DDR2
160GB Hard Drive
Windows 7 x32 Ultimate

All drivers and software are the most up to date that I could find. If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this I would be thankful because I have been pulling my hair out trying to get it resolved.

Back