Dell laptop wifi

zavier

Weaksauce
I have an Dell laptop model XPS 15 7590 which I purchased earlier this year

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
RAM: 32.0 GB
Installed on ‎07/‎29/‎2021
OS build 22000.132

I have a unique problem with the laptop wi-fi. I regularly run a network speed test using this site - https://www.speedtest.net/ I also use this site - https://www.att.com/support/speedtest. Results of the tests are approximately like this: Download 454Mbits, Upload 11Mbits, Ping 12ms.

The issue: The laptop runs good for about an hour then for no reason the download will drop to about 40Mbits. Upload always works. Only way to get download back to a 450Mbits download is to restart the laptop or disable/re enable the wi-fi. This problem was also happening when I was running windows 10 Pro.

I have tried the following: Brought another laptop to same place as mine and run the network tests. I moved my laptop to different areas in the house. Had Dell tech person (three different persons) take over my laptop and run test for about an hour. So far, they could not find the problem.

I convinced Dell to come to my residence and replace wi-fi card. Still have problem.

Any idea, let me know
Mike

If you got the Dell Wi-Fi card I would try replacing it with an Intel one.

You or Dell have probably already done this, but make sure your BIOS and wireless drivers are up to date. You may want to get the drivers directly from the wireless card manufacturer rather than Dell's website.

If you got the Dell Wi-Fi card I would try replacing it with an Intel one.

You or Dell have probably already done this, but make sure your BIOS and wireless drivers are up to date. You may want to get the drivers directly from the wireless card manufacturer rather than Dell's website.
Thanks Kardonat.
Dell tech already replaced Killer Wi- Fi 6 AX 1650x card. My guess it was a Dell part made in China.
Your suggestion is to replace wifi card with one made by Intel. I found this on website. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/211609/intel-killer-wifi-6-ax1650-xw.html
Is this one ok ?

BTW, all drivers Bios and wireless are up to date

I might have to open laptop and see what brand of the Killer Wifi card Dell tech actually installed. Might already be an Intel
Mike

What about power settings on the wifi? I have mine always on - I unchecked the box that allows this device to save power.

Did you check with another device? Your ISP might be throttling your connection.

As per suggestion from Kardonxt I followed steps from website. There was a driver update.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/dd0rkn/how_to_fix_killer_ax1650x_wifi_problems_xps_15/

Download the Intel drivers, Killer Software Package, and Killer Uninstaller package.

Perform uninstalled, installed new driver, etc. and rebooted

I still have the Wifi issue. Next, I going to check power settings on Wifi and as BOOnie suggested, I am going to run Internet tests from my wife laptop. Let you know what happens.

Thanks

Could be a setting in your router too, but probably not available to change in the GUI. Maybe contact ATT, just don't let them trick you into messing up your laptop, they will try and blame Dell.

Vick1000: My ISP is Comcast and I have access to my gateway/router. What setting should I be looking for to change ?
Thanks for your suggestion
Mike

Vick1000: My ISP is Comcast and I have access to my gateway/router. What setting should I be looking for to change ?
Thanks for your suggestion
Mike
You won't have access to those settings on a ISP provided router.

Couold be windows again now that I think about it, it likes to think it knows what's best for you afterall.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...internet/288b053c-2a0b-44d7-badb-ea6b60866452

Also, if it's a Killer branded part, uninstall any Killer software, there was an issue with that as well.

Can you duplicate the issue on Windows 10? You are using a pre-release operating system, so these types of issues are bound to be present.

This past Sunday, Aug 22, around 7:00 am I noticed the slow download problem in my laptop. I decided to call my ISP. Lucky for me the technician that help me was smart. He performed some tests and within 15 minutes he told me I had a bad modem. He set up an appointment for Tuesday Aug 24 for my ISP to bring a new modem and install at my house. So far, since yesterday, I had no problems with the intermittent slow download on my laptop

Now let me answer some questions that some of you had:
Did you check with another device? Your ISP might be throttling your connection. I had no problems with two other devices. Only my laptop.

Download the Intel drivers, Killer Software Package, and Killer Uninstaller package. I did that. !

Can you duplicate the issue on Windows 10? You are using a pre-release operating system, so these types of issues are bound to be present. The problem has been there for at least 3 month. I had same problem with Win 10

At this point, we can close this thread.

Thank you all for your help
Mike

Back