Dell Is Reportedly Selling Monitors with "Fake" HDR

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Dell launched the U2518D this week, a 2560×1440 IPS panel that includes “Dell HDR.” Unfortunately, the high dynamic range feature appears to be more of a marketing ploy: while the monitor is capable of 99% sRGB coverage, it only features a maximum brightness of 350 cd/m², which does not meet industry-wide standards such as HDR10 or Dolby Vision. Additionally, the panel only offers 8-bit color, whereas HDR10 displays should be full 10-bit.

...the monitor offers support for “Dell HDR” (High Dynamic Range), but here is the conundrum: it is a simulated/software-based HDR mode that responds to HDR10 content, so this display doesn’t support the color gamut, peak luminance, or bit depth required for a true HDR experience. It could still make HDR10 content better looking, but it seems to be just a marketing gimmick.

Last edited:
Remember when "Dude, you gotta Dell!" was a good thing.......Yeah me either. :LOL:

Samsung does the same shit. Doesn't matter what the new display technology is, manufacturers will find a way to come up with a lower cost version to rip people off. I think this is one of the main reasons 3D never took off, and this will kill HDR mass adoption as well.

Last edited:
Total BS, and I generally like Dell. I bought a U2515 or whatever and tried turning on the HDR, was curious. It only works with like one preset and makes the panel super dim and washed out. You also cannot turn it on over HDMI if I remember right. Not happy, but as a normal monitor its pretty nice.

The lenovo 1440P 25" though is really a beautiful monitor. They were like 150$!

I guess as long as they only ever call it 'Dell' HDR, then they must think they can get away with it. No doubt, they have something in tiny writing somewhere that covers their ass. Otherwise it could be false advertising.

I'm in the market and the need to fully research all the specs is getting old. Loads have gotchas like this. The LG monitor isn't HDR either, too dim.

Damn sure they all like a premium price though, the higher end Dell monitors are crazy money these days too.

Between a high refresh 4K hdr monitor and a colour accurate wide gamut 30+ 4K I'm gonna be spending a ton on screens this year and vendors doing this is sending me crazy

I dont think many monitors would pass a proper HDR10 check. Same with TVs.

Do you really want 1000 nits blasting right in front of your face?

I dont know how many times do I have to repeat this on this forum and frankly it is getting annoying but having the whole screen blasting at you at 1000 nits constant (which would be the case in current SDR system) is very different from having occasional secular highlights at that brightness, small areas like occasional glittering effect or sun in corner. Average picture brightness in HDR is still 100-200 nits generally.

Thats the beauty of HDR. In normal SDR when you crank the backlight the whole picture gets brighter, even dark scenes become grey and makes the screen painful to watch. HDR has the brightness depend on the scene and allows higher peak brightness for highlights and therefore make the lighting more lifelike looking.

few dell I have 'experienced' at work are crappy, but hopefully very cheap!
I've seen good reviews on dell stuff but usually top of the line.

This is pretty surprising, usually Dell is the 'no-nonsense' version of all of this new tech in the monitor space, if it wasn't easy, Dell wouldn't sell it, their target market wouldn't agree with it.

few dell I have 'experienced' at work are crappy, but hopefully very cheap!
I've seen good reviews on dell stuff but usually top of the line.

Remember that Dell is just an OEM. They buy stuff from other people and slap their logo on top of it. The ones you see at work are probably the bare minimum that you can pick when buying a desktop. Some of them are really poor. Then Dell has high end models that are as good if not better than any other manufacturer out there. I have a high end sitting next to a low end. Even if they were the resolution the color accuracy, sharpness, and contrast are miles apart.

Then you've missed out on some genuinely good monitors, like the S2417DG.

Only 24"? I've seen a UP2716D sitting next to an Apple Cinema display (Same size and resolution) and I'd take the Dell all day long.

Sounds like we need something like this again:

THX-logo-313E1C8D6E-seeklogo.com.gif

I called this issue out on another forum, and got shown the door. HDR is about image creation / acquisition. It is not a display technology. Wide gamut and high contrast have existed for a long time already.

I called this issue out on another forum, and got shown the door. HDR is about image creation / acquisition. It is not a display technology. Wide gamut and high contrast have existed for a long time already.

HDR is all about convincing you that you need another TV, another GPU and another BluRay player.

That said, i add that while more contrast is always a good thing for PC usage, more brightness is not always better and more gamut can actually be detrimental if one does not have proper sRGB emulation.

Reactions: xorbe
like this
Back