Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Laptop - $299 FS

PC Surgeon

Limp Gawd
Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Laptop - 8.9" LCD, Atom Processor, Linux, 512MB RAM, 4GB SSD at Dell Home - $299.00

Product Description:

* E-VALUE CODE 16254-DNPHXD2 Enter that here
* Intel Atom Processor N270
* Mini OS Powered by Ubuntu 8.04
* 512MB Memory
* 4GB Solid State Drive
* 8.9" Widescreen LCD
* Dell Wireless Mini-Card 802.11g
* Black or White
* FREE Shipping

mail

This is what I get when I entered that code.

Thank you for choosing Dell.

We're sorry, but we are unable to process your request. The e-value code you entered is either incorrect, not eligible on the Dell Home & Home Office website, or has expired. If you feel you have reached this page in error please try the following steps:

not bad, i had really wanted one of these previously as a small around the house system and to be able to remote to my main rig to use as an htpc, but then i just build a 2nd rig instead.

I have an Acer Aspire ONE and love it... these mini netbooks are pretty nice, though I have heard the Dell isn't so good *shrug*.

I'm really interested in these but I need a way to play DVDs on them. Can an external DVD drive be hooked up to it?

Acer Aspire One is still the better deal at $349, double the RAM, longer battery life too.

As for movies on these units, just rip DVDs using HandBrake to Xvid AVI files, about 700MB in size, two pass encoding. Works great, takes less space obviously, and even helps with battery life when viewing 'em.

4gb of hdd.. =/ I suppose if you get a 32gb usb drive or SD card it would be ok.

As for movies on these units, just rip DVDs using HandBrake to Xvid AVI files, about 700MB in size, two pass encoding. Works great, takes less space obviously, and even helps with battery life when viewing 'em.

it is pretty incredible how well dvd's compress to xvid/divx. normally i just go dvd9 to dvd5, but that is still almost 5gb a pop on my hdd, and to be honest the picture quality difference between compressed dvd and xvid really isnt anything to worry about. also, cant you burn a xvid to a cd and have most newer dvd players play it directly?

Some set-top DVD players these days can handle DivX AVI files on a CD or DVD, but as for Xvid I'm not sure. The two codecs are very similar and based on the same concepts, but I can't say for sure if any set-top players will simply play an Xvid right off the bat.

And yeah, the quality of a properly done Xvid rip to about 700MB is fine for me. "The scene" releases movies that are in 2 parts, both about 650MB or so but that's just unwieldy for me, wasted space since a 1 CD rip with HandBrake and two pass encoding is more than acceptable quality. Besides, most machines actually use less CPU power to play back Xvid files than the native MPEG2 from an actual DVD and most certainly far less than h.264 stuff these days. Xvid is my compression codec of choice, has been for years now...

Back