Dell Inspiron E1405 - My full review.

Vegeta

Gawd
I recently purchased a Dell E1405 during the Dell 10 days of Deals, about 3 weeks ago. Ever since then it has been my primary computer for everything from Photoshop to the internet. (Note that I am not a big gamer (right now) and have only played emulators for old genesis games on it, so I won't be reviewing that kind of performance)

-----Begin Spec Jabber-------
The platform the E1405 is based on is quite nice. Centrino Core Duo at 1.6 ghz a piece. Integrated Intel Pro wireless. No bluetooth on my model, I didn't need it, but it was an option. Storage is a 100gb Toshiba branded drive. 5400rpm. 1GB of ram running at 533mhz. 14.1 (I believe it's 14.1 but may be 14.4, It doesn’t really matter, it's just smaller than the normal 15.4) wide-screen WXGA+ at 1440x900 pixels with TruLife. DVD+/-RW drive which actually shows up as a Sony DW-Q58A model. Intel 945GM graphics chipset. Ports include 4 USB 2.0, 1 S-video, 1 pc card slot, 1 4 pin firewire port, ethernet, dial up modem, VGA, and a multi car SD slot that reads SD and xD.. maybe one other format, its an all in one though and works well with my xD cards.

My total price minus tax was $739. 699 plus 40 for the TruLife WXGA+ screen. If you like the glossy style screens like some sonys ans toshibas have, the TruLife is for you. I personally like it, looks a bit more high class IMO.
-----End Spec Jabber-------

OK to my three week review. Like I said I have had it for about three weeks now for which it’s the only computer I have been using.

Aesthetics- Not bad. I was slightly surprised at how nice the keyboard is to work with as well as the feel of the touchpad. The touchpad isn't real sticky like others I have used that catch my finger and piss me off. The laptop is all plastic though, and creaks a bit around the edges. It does not feel like a very strong laptop like my older 3.06ghz HP was. This dell doesn't feel like it would survive a fall off a table. The weakest panel feels like the casing around the hardware lock attatchment point. The hinges feel strong though. The power button is right in the center above the keyboard and is a silver metal looking color, although it too is plastic. It looks a bit cheesy IMO. The lights and whistles though are all nice and I love the port placement. DVD, VGA, net, and USB on the right, S vid, firewire, pc card and media on the left, with two USB ports and the charger in the back. The paint scheme is kinda strange, silver panels with a black keyboard and white trim. doesn't really go well but it doesn't really matter. If you are looking for a laptop to match your D&G carry all, this isn't it.

Power- The dual core really does shine for multitasking. I haven't thrown anything massive at this thing, but it runs photoshop like a charm, faster than my g4 mac and faster than my athlon 2200+ gaming rig I think. That may be due to the gig of ram, while the other computers I own are only half a gig. CPU usage is always very very low. For internet usage it is great, no slowdowns. Startup and shutdown times are fast (after bloatware removal, see below). The graphics isn't anything to brag about but it plays my Sega Genesis emulators great and that pleases me. Plus it runs 3D studio MAX 6 for some 3d work I do just fine, no slowdowns.

Software- Dell preloads their laptops with shit you don't need. Period. First thing I did was uninstall all the free Earthlink free AOL crap, along with the dell media player or whatever it was. I didn't need it. Got rind of anything I didn't see necessary on the taskbar. Also got rid of the trial McAfee and instantly installed AVG free. I have anything but AGV free. And I installed Spybot. So I started off like a new WinXP install pretty much except for the Dell Quickset taskbar icon which quickly switched options to do with power settings which I find I need to change every now and then. If you want to enjoy your new laptop uninstall the bloatware before doing anything. the computer will startup quicker and generally run better, even if I am just imagining it, it will.

LCD- The trulife 14.1" (correct me on the size if I am wrong) WXGA+ at 1440x900 is nice. It looks absolutely great as all Dell LCDs. I don't think there is a better looking display for it's size out there. I opted for the 14.1 inch instal of the 15.4 or whatever the E1505 is because I needed a more portable, smaller lighter package. I was expecting a 1280x800 display for some reason. Let me tell you, the 1440x900 is great. I know the E1505 offers an even higher TruLife resolution screen, but 1440x900 on a 14.1 inch widescreen is great. It is very bright in any light it seems. Glare on the glossy Trulife is not a problem to me, but some people complain. If you don't like it, don't get the Trulife. The standard doesn't come with a glossy panel look, at least it used to not to and I'm nearly sure it still doesn't.

Weight and Battery Life- I believe dell says it weights about 6.0-6.2 pounds. I don't know but it is pretty damn light. Light enough to feel like I could break it easily :) unlike the 3.06ghz HP 4:3 beast. It is lighter than the E1505 and smaller which is why I got it. I use it for college and it is easily portable. as far as battery life. I have actually gotten upwards of 4:00 hours of bat life with the wife turned off, the internal network card turned off, no cd rom use, and slightly reduced screen brightness (but not much). Even with a fully bright screen never letting it turn off with the wife off and not using the cdrom I can easily get 3:00 hours on a full charge. I rarely have the thing plugged in, but when I do, I am sure to let it charge fully before unplugging it.

Upgradeability- Of course no upgradeable graphics. But this isn't a gaming laptop so you shouldn't be worry about that. The hard drive, ram, network card slot and processor are easily, easily accessed by anyone with a screwdriver. No voiding warranty stickers if you do open them up either. I don't know how upgradeable the processor socket is yet, I haven't researched that yet. The harddrive is a given, easy upgrade down the road if you need more space. There is only 1 easily accessible ram slot and it has a 512MB stick already in it for 1gb. So in the future I guess if you wanted to give it 2gb you could, if you wanted to put forth the effort of taking the whole thing apart (which doesn't seem hard at all).

Overall verdict-
A very well built and satisfying laptop. for the money I don't think there is anything out there that can compete with it. But then again I got it during the 10 days of deals. I am not sure what kinda of sales they have on the E1405 right now but I'm sure you can still find ways to get it cheap. The original build price before the 10 days of deals discounts was about 1160$. I don't know if I would have paid that much, but I know people who have gotten a lot less than what this thing has and paid a lot, lot, lot more.

'It is so choice, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.'

I am still looking for info about processor upgradeability. If any has any info about that, or any info at all to add to my review you are more than welcome to. I hope this may help someone interested in the Inspiron line. If you also own one of these please comment on what you think of yours, and how it may compare to the other laptops you have used or owned. I wouldn't mind expanding this into a E1405/1505 resource of sorts since
I know many many people picked one up during the 10 days of deals.

That’s all from me for now.

Nice review. I love my E1505, and this is pretty much a straight up review of both.

Although, I only have the SXA screen or whatever, and 1280x800 suits me fine.
Anways, nice reveiw! How do you go about removing the hard drive?

actually, if it has the expansion slot in the side, the GPU *is* upgradable.

Its just that noone has released a gpy that will fit the slot yet. (Dell is an early adopter), it is not PCMIA, but I believe called express card?

And as I understand, the processor should be swappable up to merom, as it is in the 1505 and 1705, but BIOS update would help with compatibility from dell.

and do your mouse buttons "squeak" when clicked some of the time? seems mine do (e1505)

and yes, to readers, dell's deals are unbeatable wait for the coupons!

Pics:
778bda83f0.jpg

c85f0019af.jpg

0230381b4b.jpg

7c2d4f2697.jpg

e9a5e18f90.jpg

e9cb056b13.jpg

f07451c99a.jpg

It's so tiny and cute. It's my e1705's baby brother.

Love the Wallpaper, btw :D

I have one of these and what do you mean that only 1 RAM slot is easily accessable?

Where is the other slot?

By the way, this notebook also does digital audio out and composite video out. All of the E1x05 series do.

You need a $20 adapter from svideo.com, it plugs in the "S-Video" port on the left and provides 1x digital audio (coax), 1x S-Video, 1x Composite Video

Also to be noted with this laptop is how quiet it is. Most time the fan is not running or just slowly spinning on mine, creating no noise. Right now it is spinning at what seems to be a moderate speed and I can bareley hear it. And it is nighttime with absolute silence in the house.So if you want a quiet laptop, I'd say this is about as close to silet as you can get. Way better than my 3.06ghz HP Pentium spinning up the turbojet engine to cool itself down every 2 minutes.

As far as ram goes:
If you unscrew the panel to acess ram on the underside of the laptop you will only see 1 ram stick. This is because the other is located in a position not 'user' accesible via the panel. You will have to disassemble the laptop in order to get to where it is located on the motherboard. its not that big of a deal if you have taken laptops apart before though, and even if you haven't, as long as you are patient and have small scredrivers and some time disassembling it enoug to get to the other slot is not hard. Putting it back together is always the tricky part, but unlike an old iBook or something similar this thing looks pretty simply put together.

I also knew about the video out port being an svid/digital audio port. I guess this would be good for DVD playback if you hooked the svid to you tv and the digital line to your surround sound. And it would only be benefitial if the DVD software was putting out multichannel sound. I guess it could also be used to output multichannel game audio but I doubt this laptop will be playing any 3d games advanced enough to output multichannel sound. If you're playing back dvd's in a home theatre with this thing thats not very smart. Svid offers, by today's standards, poor quality video compared to composite and digital (DVI, HDMI) outputs, and when you can get a nice DVD player that supports HDMI for 80$, why even bother watching a dvd with s vid. I have hooked my laptop to my 42" plasma several times via the S video just to play old sega genesis emulator games though. This is the only use I have seen for it though. That an if you wanted to show a large picture slideshow to family or a large group of people.

Panel access information:

If you locate the picture in my above picture post of the underside of the laptop you can see the 'user accesible' access panels.

The large rectangular panel in the top left with two screws and the words "STRIKE ZONE" printed on it is the panel that covers the Hard Drive. Inside mine is a 100gb Toshiba. It is encased in a small aluminum shell.

The small panel in the middle with the Windows XP key and barcodes on it is the ram cover, under which you will find 1 slot. Again, 2 screws.

The backwards L shaped panel on the right covers the processor and processor heatpipe. The largest part is where the processor is located and the small part on the rightmost edge covers the heat exchager. The actual cooling fan is not accessible via a panel and is locaed under the grills to the left of the heat exchanger.

The larger panel near the bottom of the pic is the panel that covers the expansion car slot. This is (or should be) filled with an intel wifi card. It is a miniPCI-X slot I believe. There is also another small device which I think is the dialup modem chip. I belive it is located here as it wouldn't be a chip included on the motherboard on the other end like the network card connection. There is a screw next to this panel that is recessed and has a lock symbol next to it. I do not know what this does as the panel was not restriced in any way from me taking it off.

All the screws in the bottom of the laptop are easily easily removed. No hidden screws under stickers from what I know of. They are all the same size and a medium-small sized phillips head screwdriver easily removes them all with little effort. Just don't lose them.

How do those buttons on the front work? Do they allow you to play a movie without turning the laptop on or something?

Bona Fide said:
How do those buttons on the front work? Do they allow you to play a movie without turning the laptop on or something?

I have the same notebook, and you are correct. It powers up Dell's media playing software without booting into Windows.

I've found those Dell media buttons all but useless except for mute/vol up/vol down.

I'm pulling well over four hours on a battery charge (9-cell), makes me question why I bought the additional 9-cell. I'm used to laptops dieing after 1.5-2.0 hours hehe

There is a button on the front that is marked "MediaDirect". If pushed while the computer is turned off it launches Dell's MediaDirect operating system. I do not know why anyone would want to use this to watch dvds or listen to music instad of just starting windows. XP boots in just a few seconds anyways...

I find the volume up and down and the mute button to be seful. Also the other buttons do work in tandem to skip/stop/play/pause in windows media which can be useful if you're playing a playlist and just wanna skip or pause a song now and then. I do not know if hte buttons will work in any other media program, like iTunes.

next/last works in mediamonkey for me, alternative winamp style thing.
Never tried media direct.
I might have to get that s-vid->svid+digcoa adaptor...

The CPU will accept a merom without issue, provided you flash to a new bios.

No issues with mine so far, got the high res, BT, and extra AC cord (I leave it at work and shuttle the laptop without the cord) for like $820 shipped/taxed. I like it. Im goona switch this for a 12" (maybe a base M1210 replacement for classes) and a 17+" (BEAST) when santa rosa comes out. Need a beast to play high res SupCom on.

Anybody know what the wattage rating is on a M1210 power block?

Hi there

This is my first post on this forum :D My name is Jun
I am strongly considering getting this laptop. Ive heard so many good reviews about it.
Thanks for the review and pics Vegeta.
Im gonna be using this for general purposes for school and not really gaming
Looks like a beautiful machine. Cant wait to find the right deal for the right price to come along because I live in Canada and the deals here suck.
Hope to hear a lot more stuff about this machine

Jun

I'm having one issue I cannot fix with my E1405.

My 10/100 LAN is very slow to SOME computers on my LAN and my friend's LAN.

I have a WiFi router and he has a regular $20 switch. To SOME computers on both networks I can send at 5-8MBps, however to SOME other computers I can only transmit at around 200Kbps (yes Kbps)

Since he doesn't have WiFi I couldn't use that, but to the same computers that are slow with my 10/100 card, they are also slow with my WiFi. Same speed as ethernet but also sometimes slower.

200Kbps is slow as fudge for just transferring files over a LAN. Does anyone else have this problem?

I had a WiFi problem too, I couldn't get the hardware radio to stay enabled for more than 5 minutes. Once it was off the ONLY way to get it to turn back on was to reboot Windows. I tried using Proset or Windows to control WiFi, no change. Fn+F2 did nothing.

What I did was put the transmit power of the WiFi card to full power and changed another option to "Noisy Envirionment" and this has solved it.

Can anyone help with my LAN issue? Personally I have the latest firmware on the router and all other computers use 100Mbps transmit mode but it happens at my friend's house too which is wacky.

I chose not to upgrade the battery.

I went with the standard battery, I believe it is a 6-cell. The upgrade would be the 9-cell.

Like in my review, the battery life is excellent. Battery meter shows upwards of 4 hours (even as much as 4:30) on a full charge and that is with the screen medium-bright wiht wifi and LAN turned off (I use dial up here).

Back