Dell Inspiron 8600 & Intel 2200BG WiFi

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
I swapped out an Intel 2100(b) for a 2200bg. Windows wants to load a driver for it but cannot find one. I've downloaded various drivers that are stated to work with the 8600 and for the 2200bg but still nothing.

Any ideas? Either I get a message the hardware is not installed or the driver is not installed. Depends on the version of software/driver I install.

I've installed a lot of 2200bg cards into Dells, and only ever used the regular 2200bg driver off Intel's site. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1637

With XP, I prefer to let it manage the WiFi connections, so I just download the bare driver rather than their whole utility.

Good to know but since it's not seeing the card and no WiFi then how do I let Windows control? It's not listed in network connections so I cannot go in and make the change to allow Windows to control the device.

Plus which specific download are you grabbing at that link (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...tel®+PRO/Wireless+2200BG+Network+Connection)?

Plus, I've tried just the driver without the software and no luck. Odd as Windows see the WiFi card and wants to load a driver for it. I need to get this done and back to it's owner.

Last edited:
Good to know but since it's not seeing the card and no WiFi then how do I let Windows control? It's not listed in network connections so I cannot go in and make the change to allow Windows to control the device.

Plus which specific download are you grabbing at that link (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...tel®+PRO/Wireless+2200BG+Network+Connection)?

Plus, I've tried just the driver without the software and no luck. Odd as Windows see the WiFi card and wants to load a driver for it. I need to get this done and back to it's owner.

I just download the newest driver-only for whatever OS I'm using. Like I said, I simply prefer Windows' built-in connection management over every manufacturer's util I've used. If you select "WinXP" and "Driver" from the menu, you're left with four choices which are all just different versions of the same driver. Pick the newest one, download the .zip version, extract the files out, and point the "Update Driver" thing at that location. Keep in mind that XP's driver updater won't search subfolders like Vista does - you need to specify the exact location of the .inf file. The XP .zip file has them in "Disk\Drivers\x32\" for example.

If Windows won't actually install the drivers for it, maybe it's a bad card or they sent you the wrong model or something. Check in Device Manager and see what the VID and PID on the card are.

And yes, Windows won't be able to manage the connection until the card is successfully installed.

If Windows won't actually install the drivers for it, maybe it's a bad card or they sent you the wrong model or something. Check in Device Manager and see what the VID and PID on the card are.

Unless I plain missed it I could not find it under the "unknown device". I looked under the Details tab in the Device Manager but did not see a VID or PID. I popped the orginal 2100B card back in and am up and running with it. I contacted the seller about getting this handled.

I know this may be silly, but did you make sure the new wifi card was seated correctly in the mini pci slot? You may also need to make sure the wifi isn't disabled in the bios or with a button (fn +f2 if i remember correctly). Then open up the device manager and scan for hardware changes....

I know this may be silly, but did you make sure the new wifi card was seated correctly in the mini pci slot? You may also need to make sure the wifi isn't disabled in the bios or with a button (fn +f2 if i remember correctly). Then open up the device manager and scan for hardware changes....

No. As I mentioned I already was using a Intel 2100 (b) and it worked fine. I could not get the 2200bg to work so I put the 2100 back in and again it worked just fine.

Thanks for checking though.

Back