Dell Inspiron 8200 Error

malebolgia

Gawd
Nothings better than trying to troubleshoot a Dell laptop with an out of date warranty. So I'm jump right to the problem. I have a Dell laptop that upon startup will issue this warning:

An error has been detected with your system.
Please call Dell Support with error code #M1004

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

After you press the F1 key you can get into Windows XP, but the performance is ridiculous. I searched around for the error and one person recommend updating the BIOS, but before I do anything like that I'd like to hear what you guys suggest I do.

Note: Before this laptop was brought to me the user formatted the entire hard drive upon receiving this error (Yes, all the drivers where installed correctly).

Download the diagnostic software from Dell and do the full system scan. I believe it comes in a bootable cd version. It also is supposed to come with the other software. Did you get all the cds with the laptop?

markt435 said:
Download the diagnostic software from Dell and do the full system scan. I believe it comes in a bootable cd version. It also is supposed to come with the other software. Did you get all the cds with the laptop?
Nope, all I got was the laptop and powersupply.

Yeah I would download the software from the site and do a full scan and see what it tells you.

all info found with a simple google search

indicates that one of a number of things may have caused the machine to shut down unexpectedly (usualy from overheating)
its sorta like the check engine light on a car... once it comes on it stays on until its reset even if the issue is a one time even that will never repeat

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...s=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=r49833&fileid=58724

is a tool that will reset it

if it keeps comming back
it indicates the machine is haveing issues cooling itself
and the heat sink fins are likly clogged with dust

Back