Dell Hell - my Samsung monitor story

hdnut

Gawd
I just recently purchased a Samsung monitor from Dell and it was one of the worst online transactions I've experienced.

- Tried initially to cancel the item. I found out the hard way, after navigating endlessly within their webmaze, that there is no online way to do this. You have to call them... during their business hours only or you cannot do this. On their website, my order was still "processing" and was not shipped at this point. I made the call around 8 PM and they close at 7 PM CST.

- Called them the next day around 9 AM. I found out that the order could not be canceled because the item was already shipped or was processed for shipping. I checked their website and the order was now listed as "shipped". If they provided an online means to cancel or a 24 hour customer service, I could have canceled the order the day before. But no, Dell decides to bend me over instead. I told them that I will reject the shipment once it arrives.

- Later that day, I called them back because the rebate on the monitor had increased. I told them that I will accept the shipment and would like the credit for the increased rebate on the monitor. Customer rep tells me that it cannot be done because the monitor has no rebate attached to it. I found this odd since the monitor had the rebate attached to it when I checked the listing earlier that day. I asked her for the Dell item number and I checked the listing myself. Sure enough, the monitor is no longer listed with a rebate. At this point, I wasn't sure what was going on so I hung up.

- Next day, I called them back after finding out that the monitor is still listed with the rebate and the rebate had increased even more. I was thinking that the customer rep I talked to the other day was on crack and she was looking at the wrong listing. Once I got through, I explained the situation to a different rep and requested the additional credit for increased rebate. This time around, the customer rep did not tell me that there's no rebate attached to it but the increase rebate cannot be applied because the item had already shipped. I found this procedure odd and tried to argue why that didn't make any sense but in the end I was bent over again by Dell. This is how they do their business.

- So I grudgingly waited for the shipment to arrive. I decided to accept the monitor since I did not want to go through the hassle of returning the monitor. Few days later after the last convo with Dell, the monitor arrives. I opened up the box, lo and behold, it wasn't the monitor I ordered! I proceeded to check the enclosed shipping invoice and the monitor listed on it matched the one that was sent. The shipping department did not fuck up but it still wasn't the monitor I ordered. I checked the order confirmation email and that had the correct monitor listed. Somehow Dell sent me the wrong one.

- I called Dell and ask why I was sent the wrong monitor. The explanation they provided had me pretty teed off since it wasn't an accident. Tuns out that Dell deliberately sent me the wrong monitor because the monitor I ordered was not in stock but the one they sent was very close to the one I ordered spec-wise, except for one very important difference - the resolution I wanted was a 1920x1080. They sent me a monitor with a res of 2048x1152. So instead of Dell contacting me and asking me if I would like a different monitor with a different resolution, they decided that they will just send me a different one. Apparently they know better than what the customer wants.

By this point, I'm pretty horrified with Dell and request a return service. They give me a DHL shipping invoice and tell me to drop it off at one of the DHL locations since I explained that DHL will not be able to get to where I'm currently located. I ask if I can use USPS service. They tell me yes but I would have to mail in the USPS receipt separately and would have to wait for their finance dept to send me a check by mail. I did not want to go through the hassle of waiting and dealing with two different refunds so I decide to use DHL.

Now this is the best part. I call DHL to find out if I can stop by one of their locations and drop off this box. First, they ask me where it is going. I tell them it will be going to Dell. Then they tell me that if it's going domestic, DHL no longer provides this service. I called three separate locations and they all tell me the same thing - domestic shipping is no longer provided by DHL and they only provide international shipping, i.e. from a foreign country to US.

At this point, I check the shipping invoice that Dell forwarded to me for use with DHL and the "From" address is not mine but it is an Australian address. "To" address is Dell's going to TN. I sent an email to Dell asking about this and whether if this invoice is still usable since I am in the US since DHL will not accept domestic shipping. I have yet to receive a response and it was sent out on Friday.

Am I just unlucky or does anyone else have a horrible experience with Dell they want to share? All I know is that I will never do business with Dell again. Their business practice (like sending the wrong monitor without asking the customer) is one of the worst I've seen by a large retailer. What's the deal with no online means to cancel? It's like they're holding your order as hostage and you have to call them and negotiate the cancellation. It should be a one step process on their website as long as the order has not shipped yet.

I'll stick with newegg from now on. Their customer service has always been kickass.

Yeah, that was a long one. Thanks for reading.

Ouch, but higher res monitors tend to run higher prices, so atleast that was a plus but sorry on the bad luck man.

You seem unlucky, never really had problems with dell.

Dont know how Dell is in the US, but in denmark they have a pretty good support/service.

u are not alone man, i had couple of problems with DELL.

first is they have canceled my order for nokia phone for NO reason. and then the same thing for thermaltake computer case. However they refunded money. The never told me that the order was canceled till i ask. Such a bad management. Each department doesnt know whats going on in the other dept. We i ask why my order is canceled. They said an internal problem. What the hell is that. when i call the day before they cancel the order the rep told me they have enough stock and nothing to worry. What a bullshit.:mad:

I've ordered just about anything possible from Dell. Systems, laptops, monitors, switches, parts ect... All without a problem or drama. Dell was ok to do business with.

Hope you have better luck in the future.

Similar thing happened to me. I ordered a laptop, then the next day they released an instant $200 cashback promo. I called, but they were always closed or the wait time to get someone was 40 minutes. I finally got someone after waiting near an hour one day, and they wouldn't give me the rebate. So I told them I would just cancel it and reorder it, after an excruciatingly long phone call, they finally cancelled. I then came to my senses and decided to not order from them.

The monitor they sent would be pretty sweet but I understand the frustration.

they have great products in their catalog and prices are good with coupon and stuff. But there order management is suck.

I purchased a PSU ($30) and after they have shipped i told them i wanna cancel the order. They said the can not cancel it since its already shipped. Finally they sad, "Ok, keep you psu with u, we will refund the money u paid". I was like wow. Newegg rox

I haven't had too much exposure to Dell; when I bought a Precision off of them, it went pretty straightforward; however, this is pretty crappy. I mean, the wrong address?! WTH?! That's messed up. And the bad part is some aussie now is stuck with YOUR return address. The absolute WORST part is

sending the wrong monitor without asking the customer

That to me sounds inexcusable. Heck you should just demand Dell send you the right monitor, they might let you keep the original.

Man! Sounds like a nightmare, I have never dealt with Dell and it looks like in the future i wont either

Tuns out that Dell deliberately sent me the wrong monitor because the monitor I ordered was not in stock
This is very, very wrong. Shipping you the wrong item, for whatever reason, should be sufficient grounds for you to demand a full refund. If I read your message correctly, you did the right thing: demand a full refund, and tell them they can have their monitor back once they (properly) arranged return shipping.

U could say u gonna keep the monitor until they send the correct one once the stock is back.

@Sherloc:
In my case, the monitor I ordered was a 23" 1920x1080. The one that they shipped was a 23" 2048x1152. I do not need a monitor with that res at that screen size. Another issue is price. The one I ordered actually cost more than the one they shipped. I did not pay full price because of the rebate that was temporarily offered, but the Samsung 23" 1920x1080 retails for more than the 2048x1152, not only at Dell, but at all the online stores I've checked.

@Dr.Pants:
I couldn't demand them to send me the correct monitor because they didn't have anymore in stock, well at least from what the customer rep said. Funny thing is, the monitor never showed up as "out of stock" on their website. I even checked it as the customer rep was telling me this on the phone. It didn't show up as OOS when I placed the order either. Regardless, they should have contacted me before sending me a different model.

Anyway, when I came up with the thread title "Dell Hell", I thought it was a pretty clever little title. Then I googled "Dell Hell".

Dell Hell

My reaction was, "holy shiet!" There's even a website called dellhell.net.

I guess I'm not alone with my "customer dissatisfaction" when dealing with Dell.

That's why I always stick to Newegg. They know their shit.

I hate buying anything from Major Companies. It's just too much of a hassle.

I rather go through a retailer.

The only times I've ever had ANY luck at all getting ANYTHING done with Dell customer service has been through the small business channel; never ever deal with Dell Home support. Even if you can't order things through your workplace, a "home business" works just as well. Home support just sucks horribly and they're completely incompetent. Shipping isn't even their worst offense, accessories and backorder fulfillment is even worse (wrong part numbers, screwing with you on credits and prices that expire on already ordered items).

Shipping you the wrong part (even if they think it's "better") is outright fraud if they won't RMA it. So long as your invoice has the Samsung part number on it, that's what you get. If they don't have it, tough; they should refund you the cost. Dell pulled some similar shenanigans back when half this forum tried ordering 8800GT's when they we're first available.

Back