dell hard drive problem

nomak

Limp Gawd
got to install a new hard drive on my dell laptop.. The other one will work for a while but then blue screens on me. after doing a check of the hard drive status it failed and gave me several errors that led me to the conclusion that I need a new drive. I have all the install cds but I was wondering if there was some way I could image the hard drive ghost partition over on the new hard drive so as to use it to reinstall it to factory settings.. thanks...

Personally, I wouldn't bother assuming you have your data backed up. If you go to Dell.com and type in your tag number, you should find the drivers you need for it: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Whatever drivers you had on the original disks are probably all outdated and should be changed to these anyway. If you don't have a second computer, use your laptop to download them and place them on a USB drive. One of the most important is the network card driver to enable you to get back on the internet once you install the OS. That's what I did when I upgraded my HD - started from scratch.

Can you? Yes. Though if you're having problems with the current load of the OS or corrupt data it will just transfer over to the new drive, that's probably what Yoss was getting at and you may come out ahead just re-loading. Clonezilla is a free app that will do what you need though.

yeah I never thought about that.. I will just reinstall it from scratch I have the cds that came with it then once its all updated I will create a image like it has now using my acronis software..the old image was original drivers and only SP2 with it so it still took a hour or so to get it fully updated to sp3 etc..when I reinstalled the original image in the past..thanks,,

Back