Dell Gaming Laptop [e1705]

wannabeapilot

Limp Gawd
ok so im probally going to be ordering the dell e1705 in the morning but i have a few quick questions

#1 if i buy the laptop and get a core duo will i be able to upgrade it to a core 2 duo or only a higher speed core duo? and if i buy a lower level core 2 duo will i be able to upgrade it to a higher level core 2 duo?

#2 can i upgrade the hard drive from a 80gb 5400 rpm to a 7200 rpm hard drive later?

#3 is the extra power battery worth the extra money and if i get the lower level will i be able to buy the higher power battery later and use it?

#4 is it worth it to get one of the more expensive wireless cards or should the default be fine
if i get the more expensive ones will their be a speed /connectivity increase

#5 should i wait for a dx 10 to come out for the e1705 or should i buy now while i can get 20% off and later get the asus xg station

i will be updating this with more questions very soon so please check every now and then

thanks for your help

ok well i kinda configred one to my specs and here it is.

core 2 duo t5200
the free 2GB ram
7900gs
100GB 7200rpm sata
would work perfectly

You can upgrade the CPU to a C2d, yes.
You can upgrade the harddrive and memory, as well.
Get the bigger battery. End of story.
Get the intel wireless card (3945, i think?)
there is absolutely no point in waiting for DX10. This is a laptop, and they will not have DX10 cards in laptops for a long time.

Just by judging by the questions you're asking, your knowledge level seems kind of low and i'm not sure if it's worth the trouble for you to go through all these upgrades.

mwarps is correct

though i think a bigger battery for a 17 inch laptop is pointless, you should be plugged in most of the time, and i think the extra 3 cells only add 30 minutes or so.

also the asus xg station is mostly for laptops with poor video cards who need more power, you might be able to use it for physics processing but that has yet to be determined

if you don't need a laptop for 6 months, then you can go ahead and get dx10 when it comes out at around that time, if you need a laptop now, then get a laptop now

Just by judging by the questions you're asking, your knowledge level seems kind of low and i'm not sure if it's worth the trouble for you to go through all these upgrades.

mwarps is correct

though i think a bigger battery for a 17 inch laptop is pointless, you should be plugged in most of the time, and i think the extra 3 cells only add 30 minutes or so.

also the asus xg station is mostly for laptops with poor video cards who need more power, you might be able to use it for physics processing but that has yet to be determined

if you don't need a laptop for 6 months, then you can go ahead and get dx10 when it comes out at around that time, if you need a laptop now, then get a laptop now

no i actually know quite a bit about about laptops, and computers in general
but i just wanted to make sure i hadn't overlooked anything
thanks for your help

Just so you know, you might have some trouble getting your laptop serviced from dell since you have a bunch of third party parts in there.

I'd suggest you register an account here, since they have the best tips and tricks on how to tweak your dell. You can overclock the 7900gs to near 7900gtx speeds. Although, apparently dell is changing the way the bios works for the video card, so newer models might not be able to use the bios flash o/c.

Back