Dell Force10 S4810

ben chi(f4)

2[H]4U
Can anyone give me a little guidance on these switches? I've never put my hands on a dell switch and these were quoted for our cloud environment that I'll be starting up soon.

Thanks in Advance.

i'm generally of the mindset that if you can do without cisco in your setup, do so...

in this case, on the super high end switch market, for your "cloud environment" i wouldn't spend that much on anything but a cisco...

/me loves DELLs el-cheapo line... i run 28xx series switches in most locations

now whether or not you need something that high end, well that just depends on what you're using it for... "cloud environment" really doesn't tell us anything whatsoever...

Last edited:
Not too sure that I would completely agree with that. I'm of similar mentality, but keep in mind that there are a variety of high-end switch companies that existed before, during and after Cisco's rise to datacenter sweetheart. If they didn't offer similar functionality/reliability, then Cisco would have gobbled up their marketshare in its entirety long ago. That being said, if you're to be the one managing it, your familiarity definately comes into play here as well.

What do you want to know about them? We use Force10 switches extensively, as well as have some S4810 switches. Not much to say about them, as we simply use them for layer 2. But, they just work, haven't had any issues with them.

Back