Dell Expects Booming Growth in Gaming PC Sales over Next Five Years

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The guy who oversees consumer PC roadmaps for both notebooks and desktops at Dell believes that the gaming PC market will be growing in a big way for at least a couple of years. The two main contributing factors are allegedly eSports and VR gaming. I guess we will be seeing more Alienware and XPS stuff coming their way.

In contrast to shrinking overall PC sales, global demand for gaming PCs is heating up and the boom will continue over the next five years, according to Consumer Product Marketing senior vice president Raymond Wah under Dell Technologies. Electronic sports (e-sports) and VR (virtual reality) are main growth drivers for gaming PCs, Wah said, adding gaming is becoming e-sports and this is a global trend. Continual gaming content updates push hardware developers to upgrade the specifications of gaming PCs, Wah indicated. The number of e-sports fans will increase to 145 million in 2017.

I couldn't live without my gaming PC. I game on both console and PC, but if I had to make a choice between the two... it would be PC without a second thought. Also, having an HTC Vive kind of makes it a necessity.

I believe it will be less that the gaming PC market grows, but that the power of your average PC or Windows/linux tablet will be enough to play whatever game you want, thus increasing the PC gamer market.

I believe it will be less that the gaming PC market grows, but that the power of your average PC or Windows/linux tablet will be enough to play whatever game you want, thus increasing the PC gamer market.

wow... if i could play star citizen for $299 why did i pay for a geforce 1080 lol

Not for VR. Next gen VR is likely to be at minimum 4K, and require high framerates. We might even see 4K per eye, which will push tech to its limits. Many people are no longer satisfied with 1080p gaming, even for traditional screens.

Not for VR. Next gen VR is likely to be at minimum 4K, and require high framerates. We might even see 4K per eye, which will push tech to its limits. Many people are no longer satisfied with 1080p gaming, even for traditional screens.

When you put together good PC gaming components the experience delivers like no other platform can, certainly not smartphones and tablets.

They still need to make more games for the pc and not consoles. Basing this boom off of what? 3-4 games? What are the major esports games? CS, Overwatch and other games I do not play.

Also, it is going to be at least 3 years if not 5 until VR is done right with powerful enough machines. ATM you have a hard time getting 60fps at 4K much less 8K.

ATM you have a hard time getting 60fps at 4K much less 8K.

4k with a single 1080 Ti or Titan Xp is completely doable these days. A very solid 4k gaming PC can be built for $2k and that price will drop no doubt in the next 5 years.

1080Ti or Titan ain't exactly mainstream is my point. To get a boom going, 4K needs to be achievable by a mid range rig. If you want to include VR in the boom, it's going to take a bit more time. At least 3 years. This guy is acting like it will be sooner. Getting VR right is going to be the most difficult and important aspect of PC gaming in a very long time.

Now the esports thing I agree with. Just too bad I don't like any of the popular games. Getting old I guess. Last time I played comp at a high level was BF2.

Cost is always the issue with PC gaming. I was simply pointing out that at today's high end 4k isn't much of problem for the PC and that will clearly trickle down into lower price points just like solid 1080p gaming has to the lowest price points.

1080Ti or Titan ain't exactly mainstream is my point. To get a boom going, 4K needs to be achievable by a mid range rig. If you want to include VR in the boom, it's going to take a bit more time. At least 3 years. This guy is acting like it will be sooner. Getting VR right is going to be the most difficult and important aspect of PC gaming in a very long time.

Now the esports thing I agree with. Just too bad I don't like any of the popular games. Getting old I guess. Last time I played comp at a high level was BF2.
The solution to VR IMO is to get the 4K or even 8K resolution screen, but take a step backwards in game graphics and mature them as the tech continues.

A midrange video card can likely play minecraft at 2x 4K without issue. You can also lower graphics requirements by going with a more artistic rather than realistic style. Instead of human faces for example, go with anime style faces for characters, or wearing simple masks, and use a more Nintendo'ish style environment. The immersion factor will compensate for the lack of photo-realism.

It's a function of TV. Move to higher format 4k will push up the desktop market till the minimum fits. VR isn't going to change shiz just like 3d failed to do so.

The PC is dead! Long live the PC!

I don't always game, but when I do it's on the PC...stay [H] my friends.

It's just the ultimate platform and hobby. The building, tweaking, modding, upgrading, rebuilding and on and on. Hot rodding for nerds is now very mainstream and the future of the game rig is bright indeed.

Back