Dell E6410 power limiting?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I was playing with my plex server earlier and noted through HWmonitor that my plex setup only uses about 2%-6% processor power to play a movie. All of my movies/ tv shows are H.264 MP4's in 480-720P, so I know a potato can run the server. They don't need trans coded to play on any device I use..

I noticed that watts used was switching from 4 watts to 28 watts every second. I limited the processor power to 15% in power options and now it goes from 2.8 watts to 6 watts. But it still bumps 25w sometimes

This is just an old E6410 with the battery removed. It has an I5 560M, I think 2gb of ram and the plex library is on a 1tb external drive.

Is there any way I can really shut down processor power? Ik I can turn off HT but not sure if it will do anything. Or does it really matter?

Why are you doing this? It's only going to use as much power as it needs to do the task.

it was switching to 28w every second while at idle/ just waiting. It uses 4-6% cpu while loading one stream, and we only use one possibly 2 streams out of the server. Just trying to minimize what it uses.

That bump was probably your monitoring software. They do those things, unfortunately.

Just leave the power settings alone. The software only uses what it needs.

Back