Dell Dimension 4600 BIOS resets when unplugged

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I was given a free Dell Dimension 4600 and whenever the computer is unplugged from AC power all of the BIOS and the clock revert to default, and to answer the age old question yes I replaced the CMOS battery and the password jumper (There is no clear CMOS jumper) is in the right position

Since the battery is good does this mean the motherboard is bad? The computer works fine other then this minor annoyance.

Yes I know it is an old computer but it has a serial and a parallel port and it runs Windows XP so I have a use for it

Why not just use Windows Virtual PC. Free download from Microsoft for Win 7 with a full Win XP license!

did you replace with a new battery? I needed a cr2032 for something the other day, pulled two from two different boards that were opterating fine, and neither one had enough juice for spec. some boards might be more sensative to low voltages on the batt than others if you pulled it from another board.

other than that, make sure cmos jumper is set right as well.

OK I feel like an idiot I had two of those batteries on my desk one being the dead one that was originally in the Dell and that was the one I happened to grab
So with a good battery it is fine now

OK I feel like an idiot I had two of those batteries on my desk one being the dead one that was originally in the Dell and that was the one I happened to grab
So with a good battery it is fine now

:p it happens!

:p it happens!

Yeah happens to the best of us

and at jrweis
I needed a computer with an actual Parallel port and a serial port for programming micro controllers and other stuff that needs XP and an actual hardware LPT or COM port a software virtual com port or a USB adapter will not work here

Back