Dell Dell 2005FPW

marcoi

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, was wondering if I could get some help pricing out my dell Dell 2005FPW monitor. I like to sell it but not sure what its current value is. Per searching online it ranges from 100 up to 400. The monitor itself is in good condition, only minor issue is with the stand, it no longer clicks into the back of the monitor. I had the monitor on an arm with vesa plate, so I dont know if that effect the connection to the base.

So any ideas.

Also if this is against forum rules, please let me know and I will close or mods feel free to do so.

thnks all,
m

Well,

I just gave one away, after upgrading to an NEC EA231WMI.

I'm mean, people can buy a good, new 24" TN panel, with HDCP, for under $200. Yeah, not IPS, but probably preferable for those without any monitor at all.

Peace to you,
C. Livingstone

Sold my old one locally for $135. Still a better deal than the other 20-22's considering it's a good S-IPS panel.

They are going for around 60-75 dollars on eBay. Figure about 90-100 shipped. If you Craigslist it I would start at 100 and work your way down to 80.

Do not be surprised if no one bites though. 22 inch TN panels were going for around 99 bucks from AOC during Black Friday. Besides anyone shopping for monitors on Craigslist won't care about IPS/TN/etc panels.

In all honesty I know the "Monitor Gods" are going to burst their balls on this comment, but the color reproduction of a old 2005FPW does not hold a candle to new TN panels.

Newer IPS panels yes, but the 2005FPW, no.

ok so i think 50 sold to a friend is a fair enough price.

thanks all for feed back. mods feel free to close this thread.

i don't agree at all w/ the color accuracy comment. i just calibrated both my my ea231wmi and 2005fpw.. the 2005fpw ended up with average dE of 0.14 which was better than the nec's 0.17.. pretty damn good when a 5 year old monitor beats a brand new one.

In all honesty I know the "Monitor Gods" are going to burst their balls on this comment, but the color reproduction of a old 2005FPW does not hold a candle to new TN panels.

As an owner of a 5+ year old 2005FPW (I now use a 3007WFP-HC) I can say that the S-IPS of even the old 2005FPW is FAR superior to even the "better" new TN panel monitors, it's simply no contest. TN still suffers from washed out colors at everything but the center, medium color shift top-to-bottom from the angle, bad darks/lights, and low color accuracy (and vibrancy, IMO but that's not a scientific measurement). People who see the monitor, even those that are technically apt and know what makes quality for a display, still comment on it, and some have commented that it's far better than any monitor they've seen before.

I've seen 2005FPW's go for around $200 shipped on eBay pretty easily during the year, when it's not right around the holidays and everyone snapped up cheapy TN panels thinking they're good. Sure, a TN will do for a casual gamer, but for anyone doing work or serious gaming with one who appreciates quality, an IPS is so far better that it's like comparing 480i on an old TV to 720-1080p on a nice modern projector setup. It's a night-and-day difference for anyone other than those who just don't give a damn so long as it shows text.

As an owner of a 5+ year old 2005FPW (I now use a 3007WFP-HC) I can say that the S-IPS of even the old 2005FPW is FAR superior to even the "better" new TN panel monitors, it's simply no contest. TN still suffers from washed out colors at everything but the center, medium color shift top-to-bottom from the angle, bad darks/lights, and low color accuracy (and vibrancy, IMO but that's not a scientific measurement). People who see the monitor, even those that are technically apt and know what makes quality for a display, still comment on it, and some have commented that it's far better than any monitor they've seen before.

I've seen 2005FPW's go for around $200 shipped on eBay pretty easily during the year, when it's not right around the holidays and everyone snapped up cheapy TN panels thinking they're good. Sure, a TN will do for a casual gamer, but for anyone doing work or serious gaming with one who appreciates quality, an IPS is so far better that it's like comparing 480i on an old TV to 720-1080p on a nice modern projector setup. It's a night-and-day difference for anyone other than those who just don't give a damn so long as it shows text.

Do not forget the washed out blacks during dark scenes with the 2005FPW. Do not get me wrong it is a decent monitor, but I would take my Asus M238H over the Dell 2005FPW any day.

You can search for threads started by me I did a pretty lengthy post on trying to get a 2005FPW without the dreaded black light bleed.

Do not forget the washed out blacks during dark scenes with the 2005FPW. Do not get me wrong it is a decent monitor, but I would take my Asus M238H over the Dell 2005FPW any day.

You can search for threads started by me I did a pretty lengthy post on trying to get a 2005FPW without the dreaded black light bleed.

Back when I bought mine, Dell allowed for (and still does actually nowadays) swapping within 21 days as much as you want postage-paid both ways if defective (which the backlight-bleeding counted as). Mine has virtually none on it, but a lot of people did swap once or twice upon purchase to get a good one. It was just a quirk of the model (and many monitors of its day, actually, not just IPS), but very avoidable... ones with little bleed are amazing :D. IPS panels provide a far superior overall image than TN's, but people like cheap, even if they sacrifice ridiculous amounts of quality to get it :eek: .

Back when I bought mine, Dell allowed for (and still does actually nowadays) swapping within 21 days as much as you want postage-paid both ways if defective (which the backlight-bleeding counted as). Mine has virtually none on it, but a lot of people did swap once or twice upon purchase to get a good one. It was just a quirk of the model (and many monitors of its day, actually, not just IPS), but very avoidable... ones with little bleed are amazing :D. IPS panels provide a far superior overall image than TN's, but people like cheap, even if they sacrifice ridiculous amounts of quality to get it :eek: .

I swapped 3 times before I got a monitor with acceptable bleed that worsen over time. Not worth my time to get "amazing picture quality".

The blacks are still better on my LED Asus. Pretty much a fact.

Eh, even if you get a 2005 with minimal backlight bleed, it still has that red shimmer over the screen. I was used to it before, but now with my NEC sitting right next to it I can tell a huge difference, especially in blacks.

They are going for around 60-75 dollars on eBay. Figure about 90-100 shipped. If you Craigslist it I would start at 100 and work your way down to 80.

Do not be surprised if no one bites though. 22 inch TN panels were going for around 99 bucks from AOC during Black Friday. Besides anyone shopping for monitors on Craigslist won't care about IPS/TN/etc panels.

Newer IPS panels yes, but the 2005FPW, no.

disagree. I've owned a 2005FPW and the difference between it and a TN panel is staggering...

disagree. I've owned a 2005FPW and the difference between it and a TN panel is staggering...
I agree. Plus the 2005FPW still destroys any TN when it comes to vertical viewing angles which negates any color accuracy advantage some modern TNs may have over it. Not saying it is worth much in the market, but I would take the Dell over literally any TN out there.

I agree. Plus the 2005FPW still destroys any TN when it comes to vertical viewing angles which negates any color accuracy advantage some modern TNs may have over it. Not saying it is worth much in the market, but I would take the Dell over literally any TN out there.

Vertical angles are bullshit. I have never noticed colors change etc when gaming on this monitor. You would have to intentionally "bob" your head around just to notice color shifts. I can see if you are watching TV and sitting 10 feet away, but not when I am right in front of the monitor.

Sorry but the majority of monitor buyers are buying monitors based on price so unless you are graphics design (which not many of us are) TN panels are always going to be around because there is so few "IPS" panels out there.

ok so i think 50 sold to a friend is a fair enough price.

thanks all for feed back. mods feel free to close this thread.

50 bucks is ok for selling it to a friend. I would not go lower than 80 bucks.

Selling shit on Craigslist is awful and unless it is 50 percent off of what it goes for on eBay you will not have a person biting.

Whoever thinks this monitor would sell for 200 used on eBay is smoking some serious shit. That is ridiculous.

50 bucks is ok for selling it to a friend. I would not go lower than 80 bucks.

Selling shit on Craigslist is awful and unless it is 50 percent off of what it goes for on eBay you will not have a person biting.

Whoever thinks this monitor would sell for 200 used on eBay is smoking some serious shit. That is ridiculous.

It's not my opinion... I have seen completed ones at that, but thanks for being rude friend!

Vertical angles are bullshit. I have never noticed colors change etc when gaming on this monitor. You would have to intentionally "bob" your head around just to notice color shifts. I can see if you are watching TV and sitting 10 feet away, but not when I am right in front of the monitor.

Sorry but the majority of monitor buyers are buying monitors based on price so unless you are graphics design (which not many of us are) TN panels are always going to be around because there is so few "IPS" panels out there.
Just because you don't notice it while gaming doesn't mean it's bullshit. You don't have to move your head one bit for vertical viewing angles to be a problem on TN panels, even if you sit directly in front of the screen. In fact, the closer you are to the monitor, the bigger the color shift because the angle at which you're looking at the top and bottom of the screen increases.

The majority of monitor buyers buying monitors based on price is fine by me but personalty I won't touch a TN screen anymore and I'm not doing any color work. I couldn't even stand surfing the web on my TN let alone do anything else with it. Awful display tech imo.

It's not my opinion... I have seen completed ones at that, but thanks for being rude friend!

Sorry. 200 is what the new 2009FPW goes for though. Granted that is an EIPS I guess. I gave my 2005FPW to my rents as they had a 17 inch CRT, but hell if they are selling for that much I might as well sell mine.

I have only seen around 80-100 plus shipping on eBay.

I would be weary about buying one of these used out of warranty. I went through 3 in the first month to try to get on with no back light bleed and then when I gave up that monitor lasted a year and was fluttered with dead pixel.

My refurbished one I received was actually the best one of all with no dead pixels and minor light leakage, but I am not sure how it is performing now.

Dell has the best monitor support though.

Ill take it for 80 shipped to 70817, lmk

125 shipped would probably be the lowest I would go. I would cost 20 to ship and I would not even be able to get it for a couple of weeks, but even then I can not promise that it is for sale.

How would I check mine for all the issues listed, to know what quality level its at? I never had any issues but im not a monitor professional.

I might sell mine for 125 shipped, currently I'm using it at work and my friend isn't sure he even wants to buy it now. If he does I have a less quality TN panel I could even sell him.

m

How would I check mine for all the issues listed, to know what quality level its at? I never had any issues but im not a monitor professional.

I might sell mine for 125 shipped, currently I'm using it at work and my friend isn't sure he even wants to buy it now. If he does I have a less quality TN panel I could even sell him.

m

There is a program called Dead Pixel Buddy, but to you a dead pixel may be normal if it is in the right place. To be honest I never go looking for dead pixels because once I notice them I am going to notice them forever.

Pretty much all 2005 FPWs have some form of back light leakage.

I just said 125 shipped. I doubt you can get that much on eBay, but the people in the thread state I am wrong and they go for 200 shipped so hell for 125 shipped I will see if I can sell mine I guess.

I just said 125 shipped. I doubt you can get that much on eBay, but the people in the thread state I am wrong and they go for 200 shipped so hell for 125 shipped I will see if I can sell mine I guess.

I have seen many go for ~$200 shipped over the last year, but even currently there's some recently-sold ones just about that. Check item #'s 250559511088 ($180.49 shipped), 130354539646 ($190 shipped) that sold within the last two weeks even. So, $125 shipped if yours is in good condition is a good deal ;) for the buyer :p. You are wrong... it's OK to be wrong though!

Last edited:

m

I might be interested 125 shipped......

Back