Dell Challenges Industry To Go Green

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not only did Michael Dell challenge the entire industry to go green, he even said his company would plant a tree for every PC the company sold. Dell is just the company to spearhead something like this. We talked to Mr. Dell in October, along with six other industry executives, a movement by any of these industry leaders could make a huge impact.

"Today, I challenge every PC maker to join us in providing free recycling for every customer in every country you do business, all the time _ no exceptions," Dell said. "It's the right thing to do for our customers. It's the right thing to do for our earth."

LOL… apple trees… that’s clever.
Is he serious about one tree for every computer they sell? Unless they have some hippies to volunteer their time (Maybe they will work for weed?), that is going to be mundo expensive. Think about the cost of the tree and the person to plant it.

However, they could mean the baby trees… you know, the little tiny ones that are about 5 inches tall? I remember that in gradeschool they would give all of us one of them on Arbor day. Despite my best efforts, mine would always die.

Oh well, Dell is still leading the way in terms of environmental responsibility in the PC sector. What I am most surprised about though is that Apple has consistently ranked near the bottom for this. I always knew those folks at Apple were terrible people!!! I am surprised that their progressive/hippie/new age/artsy customer base isn’t bothered by this fact!

Now that's what I call business. Dell makes billions, so there is no worry for a cost of planting a tree. :) Go Dell!!!

LOL… apple trees… that’s clever.
Is he serious about one tree for every computer they sell? Unless they have some hippies to volunteer their time (Maybe they will work for weed?), that is going to be mundo expensive. Think about the cost of the tree and the person to plant it.

However, they could mean the baby trees… you know, the little tiny ones that are about 5 inches tall? I remember that in gradeschool they would give all of us one of them on Arbor day. Despite my best efforts, mine would always die.

Oh well, Dell is still leading the way in terms of environmental responsibility in the PC sector. What I am most surprised about though is that Apple has consistently ranked near the bottom for this. I always knew those folks at Apple were terrible people!!! I am surprised that their progressive/hippie/new age/artsy customer base isn’t bothered by this fact!

Well, it's confirmed now that not all apple users are tree hugging hippies ;)

Not only did Michael Dell challenge the entire industry to go green, he even said his company would plant a tree for every PC the company sold. Dell is just the company to spearhead something like this. We talked to Mr. Dell in October, along with six other industry executives, a movement by any of these industry leaders could make a huge impact.

I hope he includes Canada in this!

Question, are the dell trees going to require a call to india every time someone has a problem with them?:D

I remember my Dell from hell laptop....poor trees...

gj dell, but for every dell out there, there are probably a 1,000 or more companies (worldwide) that don't give a flying *@&# about the environment, dont recycle, dump into oceans, rivers, don't obey emissions laws, governments that don't enforce stricter enviornmental laws, etc.. in the large scheme of things it's a nice gesture but a hell of a lot more needs to be done for this little ball of rock in space to be clean again

Great deal for them since I know how hard it is to get rid of old it material without being forced to pay for recycling or disposal. Planting a tree for each computer is even better.

Hope it's not just "wood tongue" talk :)

So they tell us to go green but they place propreitary hardware on their machines meaning that you are most likley to toss that old PC than upgrade it. And they don't use 80+ PSU's.

Ohh a tree. Howabout making all instruction manuals, papers, and documents availible on a cd or online? That would probably save way more trees... oh and perhaps cut down on the mass mailing of magazines.

Dell has actually been very very pro-active in going green, one of the top of the industry,on the other hand apparently Apple is not so great and considering the message they try to get across.... they are far from it.

There is a fella here in town that plants trees, he sells each for upto $US 2,500 each! Dell did not say he would not harvest the trees :D

Besides.. who throws away last years chassis? Perfect for file servers, computers for the wife and kids and dont forget the upgrades one could do! :cool:

There is a fella here in town that plants trees, he sells each for upto $US 2,500 each! Dell did not say he would not harvest the trees :D

Besides.. who throws away last years chassis? Perfect for file servers, computers for the wife and kids and dont forget the upgrades one could do! :cool:

Think of massive government offices that literally get new PC's every few years and literally just throw the olds ones into dumpsters.

Think of massive government offices that literally get new PC's every few years and literally just throw the olds ones into dumpsters.

Sad.. I know Ive had to watch as companies literally shred computers (make them totally unusable) so they can claim a tax writeoff. :(

Back