Dell and Intel show off the Luna project at a pre CES event

Lakados

[H]F Junkie
https://www.dell.com/en-us/blog/pushing-the-boundaries-of-sustainable-pc-design-concept-luna/
https://www.pcgamer.com/dell-wants-to-change-how-we-repair-and-recycle-laptops/
Dell and Intel partnered up on the concept a few years back to standardize some form factors and connectors, I hear or read about it from time to time as a back burner thing, but I am happy to see they have made some headway on the concept.
Both say that this will greatly aid in their compliance with existing and proposed "right to repair" laws that are in the works in the US and the EU.
Though I am sure the fact, they can now be fully assembled and disassembled via robot and would allow them to move away from their existing Chinese assembly facilities has nothing to do with it... It lets a robot do in minutes what a 12-year-old took an hour to do.

Until I see a review of a Dell desktop which uses industry standard motherboard, PSU and cooler mounts, I'm not convinced this is anything more than a gimmick.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/blog/pushing-the-boundaries-of-sustainable-pc-design-concept-luna/
https://www.pcgamer.com/dell-wants-to-change-how-we-repair-and-recycle-laptops/
Dell and Intel partnered up on the concept a few years back to standardize some form factors and connectors, I hear or read about it from time to time as a back burner thing, but I am happy to see they have made some headway on the concept.
Both say that this will greatly aid in their compliance with existing and proposed "right to repair" laws that are in the works in the US and the EU.
Though I am sure the fact, they can now be fully assembled and disassembled via robot and would allow them to move away from their existing Chinese assembly facilities has nothing to do with it... It lets a robot do in minutes what a 12-year-old took an hour to do.
Lol. Dell. standardize. Form factors.

Lol. Dell. standardize. Form factors.
Intel is the one who created basically every standard that makes the PC industry what it currently is, and if only Dell follows it that still accounts for pretty much half of all the laptops sold around the world.
Still waiting on Lenovo and HP to announce their plans for the right-to-repair laws and the e-waste laws that are coming up. In addition to Dell's CAMM format for DDR5 that isn't soldering the ram to the MB like HP and Lenovo are doing for their mobile workstations. And if it can be made with robots and not Chinese assembly lines, that would let them build in the US/Canada affordably which then gets them out of some upcoming Tariff issues, GPU's aren't the only things getting added to the list in 2023.
Besides when was the last time you saw a standard display interface or MB design on a laptop? They have each been proprietary for every model every few months. Standards happen when there is a thing that forces them, in this case, it looks like laws and taxes will be the driving force behind it.

Last edited:
Intel is the one who created basically every standard that makes the PC industry what it currently is, and if only Dell follows it that still accounts for pretty much half of all the laptops sold around the world.
Still waiting on Lenovo and HP to announce their plans for the right-to-repair laws and the e-waste laws that are coming up. In addition to Dell's CAMM format for DDR5 that isn't soldering the ram to the MB like HP and Lenovo are doing for their mobile workstations. And if it can be made with robots and not Chinese assembly lines, that would let them build in the US/Canada affordably which then gets them out of some upcoming Tariff issues, GPU's aren't the only things getting added to the list in 2023.
Besides when was the last time you saw a standard display interface or MB design on a laptop? They have each been proprietary for every model every few months. Standards happen when there is a thing that forces them, in this case, it looks like laws and taxes will be the driving force behind it.
Dell. Standard.

If it will keep them from making garbage products on their OEM side that basically aren't user repairable due to non-standard parts, I'm all for it whatever the reason. If because it helps do support for people who buy OEM machines and don't know any better.

Dell gets free press, we all get better machines. It's not like people are going to stop buying Dell's anytime soon, so making any positive change is basically good for everyone.

If it will keep them from making garbage products on their OEM side that basically aren't user repairable due to non-standard parts, I'm all for it whatever the reason. If because it helps do support for people who buy OEM machines and don't know any better.

Dell gets free press, we all get better machines. It's not like people are going to stop buying Dell's anytime soon, so making any positive change is basically good for everyone.
The system is only for the laptops but yes

I believe for 0.0 seconds that Dell would make an honest effort to do this. They could have been doing this for years in desktop space which they don't.

I believe for 0.0 seconds that Dell would make an honest effort to do this. They could have been doing this for years in desktop space which they don't.
Well in this case it seems to stem from the EU's proposed right-to-repair laws which add very large fees for devices that aren't easily consumer repairable and aren't easily recyclable. I am trying to find the source but they were looking at raising the recycling fees on electronics by upwards of 65% for devices that don't meet the proposed self-repair and recycling regulations.

They were all about this in Nov:
https://repair.eu/news/new-eu-rules-for-smartphones-and-tablets/
"In terms of repairability, rules will force manufacturers to give access to repair and maintenance information and spare parts to professional repairers and end-users for at least 7 years after retiring a product from the market. Software updates will also have to be made available for at least 5 years after retiring a product from the market. In terms of reliability, smartphones will have to survive at least 45 accidental drops before losing functionality and retain at least 80% of a battery’s capacity after 800 charging cycles."

There is no way to provide spare parts for at least 7 years in an economic way using proprietary parts that change every 6-8 months. It's no coincidence that news of the Luna project is coming around right now, it's mostly Dell and Intel publically acknowledging that they understand what is coming and they are working to comply. Moves like that really help out when government agencies are looking at renewing procurement contracts. This is only for mobile devices (phones and tablets) right now but the same committee that decided this is working on the rules for laptops, computers, and printers next they say.

EDIT:
It looks like they may also require the ability to be able to purchase 3'rd party replacement parts as well based on the leak of the section pertaining to mobile phones and tablets, so no lockouts based on hardware IDs, pretty sure Apple and Lenovo aren't going to like that.
https://ecostandard.org/wp-content/...-regulation-for-mobile-phones-and-tablets.pdf

Last edited:

They already kinda do this in the desktop & laptop space. But only really for the enterprise market. So does HP and Lenovo. With allot of the Latitude & Optiplex series stuff being field serviceable and parts replaceable with a regular screw driver and a spudger (not needed, but plastic clips and flat cables are easier to deal with if you have one).

So extending that idea isn't a stretch for them at all.

Last edited:
Looks like the Mainboard will still have soldered RAM, Soldered SSD.

They're making this repairable but by no means upgradable.

Looks like the Mainboard will still have soldered RAM, Soldered SSD.

They're making this repairable but by no means upgradable.
I've got a 2012 Mac mini instead of a 2014 because of the soldered on bullshit. At labor rates these days, soldered on means e-waste if something goes wrong.

Last edited:
Back