Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Using HDR1000 for just a few minutes I had to kick it down to HDR400, try watching some youtube on one side of the screen and have another window open on the other, like say Discord in dark mode... it noticeably dims discord when say the youtube vid shows a daylight scene somewhere, very distracting.

I don't use HDR for desktop use and I never would.

I have only used it for movies and TV shows so far which I have a lot of in HDR.

I don't use HDR for desktop use and I never would.

I have only used it for movies and TV shows so far which I have a lot of in HDR.
I can see where people might use it if they liked to consume HDR media. In that case you need to have the desktop in HDR mode.

I can see where people might use it if they liked to consume HDR media. In that case you need to have the desktop in HDR mode.

Why would you need to have the desktop in HDR mode?

HDR mode only activates when HDR media playback starts in my media player.

Why would you need to have the desktop in HDR mode?

HDR mode only activates when HDR media playback starts in my media player.
I've not messed with it myself (I have an HDR monitor but not a good one) but I don't think browsers will switch it on.

I've not messed with it myself (I have an HDR monitor but not a good one) but I don't think browsers will switch it on.

I use a media player program that does auto switch it. If you were using a browser then you would just hit Win+Alt+B to turn on and off HDR when you are playing the content.

Even with a QD layer, OLED still has massive ABL to the point where the starfield looks miles away dimmer and shrinked in both color volume and perceptual contrast.

OLED cannot display HDR 1000 when it is only capable of a 2% window of 1,000 nits. It looks even less than HDR 400.

Last edited:
Even with a QD layer, OLED still has massive ABL to the point where the starfield looks miles away dimmer and shrinked in both color volume and perceptual contrast.

OLED cannot display HDR 1000 when it is only capable of a 2% window of 1,000 nits. It looks even less than HDR 400.

You should probably just throw it away at this point.

Reactions: Hypez
like this
i have had the

AW3423DW for a couple of weeks now i have this in left corner like a square box outline is this burn in​

Attachments

• IMG_20220824_075105.jpg
    IMG_20220824_075105.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220824_075205.jpg
    IMG_20220824_075205.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220824_075047.jpg
    IMG_20220824_075047.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 0
Wow an incredible amount of work went into that review, thank you for linking it.

I would be wary of the calibration measurements in terms of color and white balance in that review.

They seemingly used a colorimeter without a high res spectral correction.

Also, QD-OLED in my experience needs an alternate white point rather than the standard 6500K in order to visually match say a more traditional LCD display for white balance.

So the reason that the color temp on the monitor stock isn't reading exactly 6500K to me may be an intentional choice from Dell. If you calibrate the QD-OLED to reference 6500K (even with a high res spectro correction), and set it side by side with a more traditional LCD, the QD-OLED will not match the white and it will look more greenish. Out of the box it actually quite closely matches my LCD monitors which are calibrated to 6500K with a spectro.

This is called metameric failure and is not uncommon in displays with narrow spectral peaks like a QD-OLED.

https://www.chromapure.com/newgear-metamericfailure.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamerism_(color)

1661364518866.png

Anyone calibrating these should be using a high res spectro correction for their colorimeter, and perceptually matching the white point by eye to another known accurate calibrated display, measuring that alternate white point, and then using that white point in their calibration software as the target white point for the full measurements and calibration.

Last edited:
I would be wary of the calibration measurements in terms of color and white balance in that review.

They seemingly used a colorimeter without a high res spectral correction.

Also, QD-OLED in my experience needs an alternate white point rather than the standard 6500K in order to visually match say a more traditional LCD display for white balance.

So the reason that the color temp on the monitor stock isn't reading exactly 6500K to me may be an intentional choice from Dell. If you calibrate the QD-OLED to reference 6500K (even with a high res spectro correction), and set it side by side with a more traditional LCD, the QD-OLED will not match the white and it will look more greenish. Out of the box it actually quite closely matches my LCD monitors which are calibrated to 6500K with a spectro.

This is called metameric failure and is not uncommon in displays with narrow spectral peaks like a QD-OLED.

Anyone calibrating these should be using a high res spectro correction for their colorimeter, and perceptually matching the white point by eye to another known accurate calibrated display, measuring that alternate white point, and then using that white point in their calibration software as the target white point for the full measurements and calibration.
Ahh very good points, and one of the reasons I continue to read these in depth reviews for a product I already have in the hopes I learn something useful. I can confirm the whites do look green (using the creator mode set to sRGB) next to my 2 other displays calibrated with an i1display pro and DisplayCal following the techspot/hardwareunboxed tutorial. This all still goes over my head so I'm waiting either for extremely concise step by step instructions from someone who knows what they are talking about or a profile to appear in DisplayCal for this monitor officially before I even attempt to calibrate it.

i have had the

AW3423DW for a couple of weeks now i have this in left corner like a square box outline is this burn in​

That's a strange place on screen to be seeing something like this. I'm going to ask the obvious question of did you have static content in that exact spot on the display for long periods? As others have pointed out is it visible in the bios or if you boot a linux live cd?

Just put in for my replacement. Support said that as long as your warranty is in effect, you are eligible for burn-in replacements. So if you get burn-in, get a replacement, and then the replacement gets burn-in, you can get another replacement and so on.

Just put in for my replacement. Support said that as long as your warranty is in effect, you are eligible for burn-in replacements. So if you get burn-in, get a replacement, and then the replacement gets burn-in, you can get another replacement and so on.
As long as they ship the replacement first, otherwise you might be monitor-less for a couple months.

You should probably just throw it away at this point.
It is one of the constant reminders what OLED looks like.
For HDR, the 1,000 nits printed on its package to create an illusion of HDR 1000 has only 2% window combined with aggressive ABL.
For SDR, it doesn't have Adobe colorspace. Though it has DCI-P3, content looks unnatural with only 250 nits. So it is only as good as displaying sRGB 80 nits, which is even duller.
And no firmware has been able to fix the low frequency flickering yet. Headache/eyestrain happens easily.

It is one of the constant reminders what OLED looks like.
For HDR, the 1,000 nits printed on its package to create an illusion of HDR 1000 has only 2% window combined with aggressive ABL.
For SDR, it doesn't have Adobe colorspace. Though it has DCI-P3, content looks unnatural with only 250 nits. So it is only as good as displaying sRGB 80 nits, which is even duller.
And no firmware has been able to fix the low frequency flickering yet. Headache/eyestrain happens easily.
I was under the impression most people preferred to calibrate their monitors to ~150 nits or so in SDR for proper photo or video editing.

Really depends on room lighting I'd say.

250 nits SDR seems like it would be more than enough for most lighting. I wouldn't even go with an OLED in a room so bright that it needs more than that.

I have mine set for about 120 nits for SDR and find that to be a very comfortable brightness on the eyes.

Really depends on room lighting I'd say.

250 nits SDR seems like it would be more than enough for most lighting. I wouldn't even go with an OLED in a room so bright that it needs more than that.

I have mine set for about 120 nits for SDR and find that to be a very comfortable brightness on the eyes.
I would think so, I'd have to bring in my calibrator to work to check again but I think my display there is set to about 180 nits and that is a pretty bright room, full ceiling of overhead fluorescent lights as you typically see in an office. At home I have a dark, but not blacked out, room with bias lighting behind the monitor and 115 nits works well for me.

The places you start to want more are where it is really bright, like sunlight coming in the room. My laptop goes to like 400-450nits max and I'll max it out when I'm sitting in an airport or the like.

Does Dell deliver on first come, first serve basis? I ordered mine on July 28th, and I still haven't received mine. However, if a new customer goes to the main product page on Dell's website it says "Free delivery tomorrow if ordered by 2 PM CT"
I ordered this display for my best friend, he's on hospice care and he wanted to experience ultrawide gaming before he passes. I knew that QD-OLED tech would be the best of the best! Now I'm afraid he might not be able to experience it at all!
{AF06D850-0346-4612-971B-0AC3C6C36CBA}.png.jpg

We're doing it all wrong bois, I'm gonna get a CRT this weekend to replace my OLED, the 'wise men' on the CRT thread have spoken 😂
On a serious note, why LG why:
https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/26/...-45gr95qe-240hz-oled-ultrawide-gaming-monitor
45" and 3440x1440 do not mix, no matter what refresh rate, this would have been so much better at 5k2k 120 Hz.

Cool concept, but the resolution simply confirms it is a concept and not much of a usable product. 3440x1440 at 45-inches? That's like 82 PPI. And here I feel that 3440x1440 at 34-inches on the AW3423DW is on the lower side as is with 110 PPI. ~200 PPI should be the goal in 2022 to be perfectly honest. Not needed when gaming, then you'll use some fancy resampling to get better performance and higher refresh rates, but for everything else, HiDPI is how it should be in 2022.

Cool concept, but the resolution simply confirms it is a concept and not much of a usable product. 3440x1440 at 45-inches? That's like 82 PPI. And here I feel that 3440x1440 at 34-inches on the AW3423DW is on the lower side as is with 110 PPI. ~200 PPI should be the goal in 2022 to be perfectly honest. Not needed when gaming, then you'll use some fancy resampling to get better performance and higher refresh rates, but for everything else, HiDPI is how it should be in 2022.

That recently released Samsung ARK monitor is also ~81 PPI being 4K at 55 inches. 81 PPI isn't exactly way out there for monitors you know, it's the same PPI as 1080p @ 27 inches. Yes it IS low, I'm not disgreeing with that. I'm just saying that PPI value of around 80 isn't super unusual by any means.

That recently released Samsung ARK monitor is also ~81 PPI being 4K at 55 inches. 81 PPI isn't exactly way out there for monitors you know, it's the same PPI as 1080p @ 27 inches. Yes it IS low, I'm not disgreeing with that. I'm just saying that PPI value of around 80 isn't super unusual by any means.
In displays with four digit price tags it is.

Same PPI than a 1080p @ 27 inches, but different sitting distance, if you augment of 60% your sitting distance, you need what around 60% less DPI ?

http://resources.printhandbook.com/pages/viewing-distance-dpi.php

That said it is still not high for a new expensive monitor that seem explicitly made for working and gaming from very close, but I would imagine it will feel in person during actual use quite higher than 1080p 27" even if you had wanted a 100-120 dpi here.

Does Dell deliver on first come, first serve basis? I ordered mine on July 28th, and I still haven't received mine. However, if a new customer goes to the main product page on Dell's website it says "Free delivery tomorrow if ordered by 2 PM CT"
I ordered this display for my best friend, he's on hospice care and he wanted to experience ultrawide gaming before he passes. I knew that QD-OLED tech would be the best of the best! Now I'm afraid he might not be able to experience it at all!
View attachment 503990
Call, tweet, chat.

I was under the impression most people preferred to calibrate their monitors to ~150 nits or so in SDR for proper photo or video editing
Already replied here.

The display is always the limitation. People calibrate sRGB 80 nits for constant distribution across the majority of displays of the end users. Or their work will run the risk of the footage not looking "right" when viewed elsewhere even though the image is already compromised from RAW to sRGB.

Gaming monitors or HDR monitors are 1% capable of better images. Photo editors won't blame you for not seeing what they intended at sRGB when you already see a better image after jumping to a wider colorspace at higher luminance.

There are some movies that have the same grading in both SDR and HDR. They look the same in both modes in terms of color, brightness. HDR mode actually looks a bit more accurate. The reason for the same grading is to keep the constant distribution. Different displays of HDR 400, HDR 600, and HDR 1000 have different colors when tone mapping applies. For example, the sun is orange in HDR 400 but it looks yellow in HDR 1000. So these movies just let the end users grade HDR themselves if they want to.

Hey all
Im looking for advice. I currently own the AW3821 (Since it released) and im considering the aw3423 as an upgrade. The neo g7/8 is another option.
I Enjoy the UW aspect but more often than i would like it is not supported in games which is why I was also looking at the samsungs. The horror stories about qc issues and panel lottery are very troubling though.

My use case is gaming + content consumption. Work is done on other pc / laptop.
My office/game room has controlled lighting + screens and can be completely darkened.

My questions:
- will I notice a substantial improvement in SDR gaming / content with the qd oled versus the nano IPS (calibrated)?
- are the neo g7/8 a good alternative if i wanted a 16:9 monitor or should i wait for new IPS FALD screens with 1500-2000+ zones
- anybody with similar experiences//questions who made this jump??

Have you seen oled before in TVs? If not it will likely blow your mind. After switching my TVs to oled I can’t stand going back to any device that isn’t. Black should be black, not grey.

Hey all
Im looking for advice. I currently own the AW3821 (Since it released) and im considering the aw3423 as an upgrade. The neo g7/8 is another option.
I Enjoy the UW aspect but more often than i would like it is not supported in games which is why I was also looking at the samsungs. The horror stories about qc issues and panel lottery are very troubling though.

My use case is gaming + content consumption. Work is done on other pc / laptop.
My office/game room has controlled lighting + screens and can be completely darkened.

My questions:
- will I notice a substantial improvement in SDR gaming / content with the qd oled versus the nano IPS (calibrated)?
- are the neo g7/8 a good alternative if i wanted a 16:9 monitor or should i wait for new IPS FALD screens with 1500-2000+ zones
- anybody with similar experiences//questions who made this jump??
- If black light bleed or lack of contrast doesn't bother you with your current panel, I don't think SDR content will be a substantial improvement to you especially if you typically use in lighted environment. That being said, HDR performance, if supported by the game/content you are watching is great and a plus. Pertaining to gaming the clarity aspect of the panel in itself is great for me and in SDR content looks great too considering I use in a light controlled/dimmed environment.

- Can't advise on 16:9 panels at the moment, waiting for an OLED 27"-32" gaming variant =P lol

- I came from OGx34, first "gaming" UW back then to this and here are my impressions

Back