Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

On a side note, for me atleast, changing the following settings work very well for SDR use and now almost match my NEC EA274Wmi including whitepoint :

Mode: TrueBlack400 (all other settings are default)

Windows HD color : On, SDR/HDR Brightness ratio: 19

NV panel Red Channel brightness boosted to 52 % from default 50 eliminates the native greenish white point.

View attachment 452791

Hey man, wanted to thank you for this adjustment. Saved the monitor for me. Now I'm finally happy with it - I was hating the original green-ish tint, and was about to return it.

Are you using non HDR side monitors with it ?
Yes, one full on SDR panel on the right, and one that 'supports' HDR but has it disabled on the left. Works fine. Content can look a little funny when moving windows from one to the other, but once it reaches the halfway point it switches over fine.

Those other monitors are half the reason I do it like this, since the key combo for enabling/disabling HDR likes to enable it on my left monitor too, and it looks like utter shite on that. That plus the overall ease of use of doing it this way.

Hey man, wanted to thank you for this adjustment. Saved the monitor for me. Now I'm finally happy with it - I was hating the original green-ish tint, and was about to return it.
I used the custom color mode to tune that out personally. R 97, G 97, B 100 does the trick on my panel.

Yes, one full on SDR panel on the right, and one that 'supports' HDR but has it disabled on the left. Works fine. Content can look a little funny when moving windows from one to the other, but once it reaches the halfway point it switches over fine.

Those other monitors are half the reason I do it like this, since the key combo for enabling/disabling HDR likes to enable it on my left monitor too, and it looks like utter shite on that. That plus the overall ease of use of doing it this way.
Yah, that would be a good enough reason to make the move from Windows 10 to Windows 11 then.

That's one of the few games I have that I haven't tried...still waiting on the damn co op update.

Has anyone tried Halo Infinite using HDR on this display?
Yeah… you need to enable windows hdr before launching the game. Also need to adjust the hdr setting in game to about 48. Looks very nice but pretty annoying to do each time since I don’t normally run hdr on windows. It never remembers my hdr settings either so that is also annoying.

You'd think if Microsoft can get HDR working on their console just fine, it wouldn't be such a mess in Windows.

Has anyone noticed that creator mode with the 2.4 gamma looks better than most games that are enabled with HDR. It seems HDR enabled in games raises the gamma where the blacks are gray again. I have adjusted the sliders to get those inky blacks of creator mode but it seems HDR keeps overriding the gamma setting on each game.

It works perfectly in 11.
I made the jump to 11 recently and while the OS as a whole is hot garbage the HDR experience with this monitor is much better compared to when I used 10 but perfectly might be a bit of a stretch.

This monitor with Auto HDR definitely breathed new life into older titles and was better then I was expecting but I just wish it worked on more games. I was under the impression anything that was DX10/11 or newer was supposed to support it but I've only been able to get it to active on about half of the games I tried...:(

Hello!

I received my monitor yesterday and while setting up and playing around with the OSD I stumbled upon a hidden status overlay. But only once.
This half transparent overlay was shown on the left side of the monitor and displayed about 20 stats including the fan speed.
When quitting this overlay the monitor turned off and could not be turned on again, which made me panic a bit, however I found a solution for an older Alienware monitor which also works here:
Disconnect the power cable, press the ON button, and reconnect the power cable.

Sadly I can not remember exactly how I activated this overlay, I can only remember that I played around with the joystick pressing rather fast and multiple time in the same direction, maybe also pushing the joystick in.
So far I could only reproduce that I can turn off the monitor with only the joystick: Pushing the joystick in and up and holding that for ~2 seconds. Try at your own risk!!
This also requires the powercable-trick to turn the monitor on again.

P.S.:
  • This was 100% not any other overlay from Windows or AMD etc.
  • Turning off the monitor with only the joystick is not because of accidental pixel or panel refresh.
  • Does something like this hidden status overlay also exist for some older Alienware monitors?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Finally getting this QD-OLED screen delivered tomorrow. Originally it was slated to be delivered in July, so this is a nice surprise. Lets see if a nitpicky person like me will love this screen as i am very picky about screen coating, hoping this is glossy/ clear enough for me. I do love self-emissive screens regardless. :)

Reactions: fyrie
like this
Has anyone noticed that creator mode with the 2.4 gamma looks better than most games that are enabled with HDR. It seems HDR enabled in games raises the gamma where the blacks are gray again. I have adjusted the sliders to get those inky blacks of creator mode but it seems HDR keeps overriding the gamma setting on each game.

I use 2.4 gamma as well. While it might not be the most technically correct setting to use, it makes the image look better for me in SDR and HDR. I've noticed a few reviews mention this as well.

Finally getting this QD-OLED screen delivered tomorrow. Originally it was slated to be delivered in July, so this is a nice surprise. Lets see if a nitpicky person like me will love this screen as i am very picky about screen coating, hoping this is glossy/ clear enough for me. I do love self-emissive screens regardless. :)
When did you place the order?

Mine has arrived but it may have suffered a casualty on the way. From my 20mins with it looks like a white dot on the bottom right and top right has a scratch on monitor. I'll get to do more in-depth testing tonight.

Attachments

• 20220602_120355.jpg
    20220602_120355.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1654204443918.png
    1654204443918.png
    655.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hey look, finally a quality input lag test and big surprise, it’s only 5ms. Techspot and every other review so far blew it. In this whole monitor review industry there are only two reputable sources, TFTcentral and Rtings. Tft has been on top for years and yet no one talks about them.
tftcentral didn't even do the test lol, they took the numbers from pcmonitors.info.

Tft measured the LG C2 at 4.3ms total, end to end, and the Alienware at 5.2ms. I think Tim (techspot) tested input lag with adaptive sync on for some reason.
Tft didn't take any measurements though they did note PCmonitors uses the same method they do. That being said, you shouldn't be comparing input lag results between reviewers as the tests done are not "Standard". The best you can do is to compare the reviewer's result with other monitors they've tested.

What I take from all this is QD-OLED has signal processing lag. Will the MSI/Samsung variant have the same issue? If so may be due to panel. Also, for joe blow the input lag is still honestly fine for most people.

Rtings seems to have their review finished, just pending release for the normal people. They have the "Early Access" thing on it if you look right now. Also curious on what they find with theirs compared to their other reviews

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3423dw#page-test-results

Last edited:
TFT is smoking crack if they think this monitor has better text quality than the C2.

Tft didn't take any measurements though they did note PCmonitors uses the same method they do. That being said, you shouldn't be comparing input lag results between reviewers as the tests done are not "Standard". The best you can do is to compare the reviewer's result with other monitors they've tested.

What I take from all this is QD-OLED has signal processing lag. Will the MSI/Samsung variant have the same issue? If so may be due to panel. Also, for joe blow the input lag is still honestly fine for most people.

Rtings seems to have their review finished, just pending release for the normal people. They have the "Early Access" thing on it if you look right now. Also curious on what they find with theirs compared to their other reviews

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3423dw#page-test-results
It seems both LG and Samsung OLEDs have pretty similar processing lag. I fully expect the MSI/Samsung will perform similarly.

The outlier here is the LG 32EP950 that uses the JOLED panel. While it has a bit more processing lag than many LCDs, it's still under 1ms. I don't know what the deal with the LG C2 is, maybe it's because it's still a TV first and thus has processing tuned for that use first.

In practice when in game mode I find input lag on my LG CX 48" to be a 100% non-issue. So the Dell is totally fine here too.

It's a shame TFT Central does not have comparison photos for text quality between an equivalent size LCD (or the LG C2 for that matter). I don't think they have done a particularly good job investigating text rendering in any of their OLED reviews so far. Poor comparisons, no testing any mitigation options like Better Cleartype Tuner adjustment or Windows vs MacOS differences.

I think the text clarity "issue" on OLEDs is massively overblown. When I got my QD-OLED, first thing I did was check text on a variety of sizes and background colors. The only time I'd say it was even really noticeable was with very tiny text sizes. Was there an improvement using the ClearType tuner to get rid of fringing? Yeah, sure, a small improvement. It's the same with the LG OLEDs. Really just not a big deal at all.

Worries about text clarity are pixel peeper symptoms. It's a gaming display. I do use it for work all day, but if I was really obsessed with text clarity I'd buy an Apple 6K display and use that instead.

TFT is smoking crack if they think this monitor has better text quality than the C2.
As someone who has used both the AW and the LG OLEDs, I actually also think that the fringing is less irritating on the AW. The AW text is slightly blurry where the LG text looks like my eyes are unable to focus due to the double vision effect of the W subpixel on text. In both cases it wasn't like it was unusable though.

Damn was hoping it was just a reflection it's smeared won't wipe off.

Attachments

• 20220603_053441.jpg
    20220603_053441.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 0
Got a replacement incoming August 25th and that's with a priority appearntly. I'll pretend I didn't see it and ignore it for now.
They told me 2-3 weeks for my replacement. It's about to hit the two week mark. I have my doubts I'll get it any time soon.

Rtings review is 7.9ms input lag, it's about 5 ms higher than my current display. I asked the reviewers if Gsync was enabled for their test or not.

Just did the Panel Refresh and it took about 40 minutes or so.

Testing without VRR is pointless. Nobody in their right mind uses a Gsync module equipped display without it enabled and I'd argue it's a super rare use case for even standard VRR/Freesync displays.

Testing without VRR is pointless. Nobody in their right mind uses a Gsync module equipped display without it enabled and I'd argue it's a super rare use case for even standard VRR/Freesync displays.
I never use it on any of my displays and neither do most streamers that play Warzone.

I never use it on any of my displays and neither do most streamers that play Warzone.

You have a display with G-Sync and don’t use it? Is there a particular reason for that?
It sounds hmm not really smart to be honest…

You have a display with G-Sync and don’t use it? Is there a particular reason for that?
It sounds hmm not really smart to be honest…
Yeah makes 0 sense. If anything the added smoothness over choppy as hell Vsync off would benefit tracking more than any potential input lag penalty.

I really don't care about the streamer or single title FPS gamer demographic so maybe I'm out of touch.

Back