Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Oh wow… my monitor shipped today! Due to arrive Saturday! We’ll that was unexpected.
Well... damn. I had in an order from March 9 but I had to cancel it and reorder since I moved and they couldn't update the delivery address. Probably won't see mine until July now. Oh well.

Ordered from Canada on the 9th early morning. It hasn't shipped yet but now the cancel order button is greyed out. I expect it to ship in the next few days.

Edit: Yep, it just shipped.

Last edited:
Ordered about 9:30PM Central US time on 3/7 with 1 day shipping. Paid full price. Order currently says June 17th, but my cancel button is disabled. C'mon, let's go!

EDIT: Nothing from dell yet, but I have shipment ready for UPS in my UPS app.

Last edited:
I posted about my card expiring while waiting on backorder and was expecting a cancellation email. Well, just got an email thats its being shipped and have a tracking number and delivery day. Wasn't expecting this. I'll just cross my fingers to make sure it actually has been shipped and I'm not jumping the gun.

If it DOES ship, they did with outdated card info, so I'm pretty confused.

Edit: My cancel button is also grayed out

Last edited:
Anybody with ship dates after March 8/9 see theirs get shipped as well or not?
I know of one person who has that's on the east coast. He has a March 10th order and it shipped with ETA of Monday.

Edit: Corrected

Last edited:
Well, I ordered mine on the 9th of March, sometime around 11am PST, and I just got the shipped notification about an hour ago, I did get an email on Sunday that it was delayed out to June 20th from an original April 29th ship date.... but it looks like that was a bit pessimistic on time frame.

Sweet, glad to see some more units get shipped out. I just hope this doesn't become like the evga notification list where after two years, the "queue" has only moved by like two months. It'd be nice to get a monitor before the end of the year.

Funny how this thread went from being disgruntled about the shipping times to pure hype about shipments within 2 pages.
Hey, I'm still disgruntled because I had to cancel my order and won't see mine until July or later. :)

Maybe, maybe not... ;).
Ya it might happen earlier, we'll see. I imagine it will be delayed though because it is back of the line and with the demand for these things, the shipment they got in is probably all going out, so it'll be the next one (or the one after that) and as with anything COVID supply lines, you just don't know how long that might take.

I wish I could have held my order position but it is just how it goes. I'll get it eventually and I'm not unhappy with the monitor I have now.

We should want that we get better GPUs that can push higher FPS, that we start rendering games at higher frame rates, even with good graphics.
Ok, yeah, we should all strive to have better GPUs. It's simply a lack of will, not money or anything like that.

Seriously, 60hz was the standard for video games for a few decades, and it looks great. Of course, higher is better. But with strobing, you don't need to go much higher to reap a lot of benefits. 80 or 90hz on my CRT is glorious. And I'm running Ultra settings on most games on a damn 5700xt.

No need to spend $1500 on a GPU and $500 on a CPU so I can run 175fps on sample and hold display.

Ok, yeah, we should all strive to have better GPUs. It's simply a lack of will, not money or anything like that.

Seriously, 60hz was the standard for video games for a few decades, and it looks great. Of course, higher is better. But with strobing, you don't need to go much higher to reap a lot of benefits. 80 or 90hz on my CRT is glorious. And I'm running Ultra settings on most games on a damn 5700xt.

No need to spend $1500 on a GPU and $500 on a CPU so I can run 175fps on sample and hold display.
And if you like CRT, with all its faults, that's ok. I happen to disagree, I'd rather have a higher speed display, with better brightness, no focus issues, etc, etc.

I'm not saying that I hate the idea of BFI or scan-line displays, just saying that at the moment we don't have enough brightness to do it well with OLED and ultimately what we should want is that we have faster displays so that the sampling isn't an issue.

Also the reason 60Hz was the standard is because in NTSC countries, the power grid runs at 60Hz and it is used for sync. Not because it is idea, not any other reason, literally when we were making TVs we didn't have the tech to do good clocking so we sync'd it to the grid which was a reliable clock on both the broadcast and receive sides. In PAL countries the standard for videogames was 50Hz, because that's what their grid is clocked at.

Also the reason 60Hz was the standard is because in NTSC countries, the power grid runs at 60Hz and it is used for sync. Not because it is idea, not any other reason, literally when we were making TVs we didn't have the tech to do good clocking so we sync'd it to the grid which was a reliable clock on both the broadcast and receive sides. In PAL countries the standard for videogames was 50Hz, because that's what their grid is clocked at.

I know that's why it was the standard, but my point is that nobody complained, even in retrospect. Most people still think 90's games look best on 90's TVs.

If the 60hz strobe was uncomfortable, barcades would be swapping in more LCD's instead of hunting down tubes.

I know that's why it was the standard, but my point is that nobody complained, even in retrospect. Most people still think 90's games look best on 90's TVs.

If the 60hz strobe was uncomfortable, barcades would be swapping in more LCD's instead of hunting down tubes.
Nobody complained because nobody had seen anything better. There weren't 120Hz+ displays to compare to. Same could be said for high resolutions. Nobody complained that the SNES was 256x240 and not 4k because nobody had a 4k screen and system to compare with.

Also the strobing IS a problem for some people. Depends on how sensitive they are. Particularly with computer displays. Regular TVs, and arcade units, mitigate the problem with long persistence phosphors which helps, but have their own set of issues. On computer displays which are made for higher refresh rates and resolutions you use shorter persistence phosphors which show more flicker. Personally TVs were fine but I couldn't stand 60Hz on a monitor back in the day. 75Hz was ok but still looked off. 85Hz was where it got pretty good for me.

What I'm trying to say is what we accepted as "good enough" was what we could get, not what we might want. Increase resolution, better sharpness, higher frame rates, bigger color gamut, HDR, etc. There are all things we can see, all things we can appreciate, but we couldn't always have them.

Plenty of people complained, you forget what forum you're on. We had 60+ Hz refresh rates on CRTs before LCDs even existed. LCDs were a massive downgrade in basically every aspect when they originally came out and even today they're still inferior to CRTs in a lot of ways.

People thinking that old games only look good on CRTs has little to do with LCDs being worse, most of it just has to do with the way LCDs have historically scaled images and to a lesser extent the blurry nature of sample and hold. We can scale pixelated video games perfectly on LCDs now although you need to emulate the games or get add-on hardware to do it (do any TVs have integer scaling?), and a lot of monitors have strobing so you can get like 98% of the way there as far as the '90s CRT aesthetic' goes.

All crt arguments aside, cause you’re all wrong ( :D - yes guys that’s a joke!). If OLED is bright enough to give me 100 nits with BFI that doesn’t suck then I’ll be a happy man.

LG’s C1 60hz BFI seems to be plasma level, which is fine. 4ms is better on the CX but at the cost of brightness. I was hoping the new Samsung panel was bright enough to put it at 95 or so nits with the same clarity. Actually, let me do some
maths here. But yes, having the option would be a boon for consoles and older hardware.

And if you like CRT, with all its faults, that's ok. I happen to disagree, I'd rather have a higher speed display, with better brightness, no focus issues, etc, etc.

I'm not saying that I hate the idea of BFI or scan-line displays, just saying that at the moment we don't have enough brightness to do it well with OLED and ultimately what we should want is that we have faster displays so that the sampling isn't an issue.

I love that you prefer faster over slower with BFI. You do you. Seriously - no hate here. My position has always been - just give me the option. If I want to play Wii-U with my kids I’d love for it not to look like blurry ass. If it gets dim? Well that’s on me to figure out if I still like it or not. Artificially capping my options for… reasons isn’t necessary.

Seriously these displays could be rocking a fast BFI with enough brightness. No reason not to give us the choice. Anyways, Im going to do some quick maths eventually because I’m pretty sure that with 4ms BFI at 60hz, these monitors can maintain 95 or more nits. I could be wrong though.

Well shoot, never mind then. Doing quick math and I put an OLED monitor that reaches 1000 nits of peak brightness down to only 73 nits at 60hz, 4ms MPRT - assuming the same losses as LG's CX. Wow. That being said - surely there's a middle ground? LG's C1 maxes out at 170 nits with 8ms MPRT in 60hz. Would be even better if there was a service menu or advanced option to choose the length of the pulse, like the Viewsonic Blurbusters monitors.

Well I paid for next day shipping and Dell sent mine using Fedex ground from across the country (4-5 business days).

After receiving an email om May 1 that my shipment was delayed until the end of June I received a notification that mine shipped yesterday 05/06. Now I need to upgrade my gtx1070 :)

Well I paid for next day shipping and Dell sent mine using Fedex ground from across the country (4-5 business days).
Well, I did not pay for 2 day, it was a free upgrade for being a Dell Preferred Credit... but its still going to be 6 days... Shipped the 6th, expected the 12th.

His C2 has the worst white uniformity I've ever seen on a OLED. IMO that's a huge outlier and would be a instant return.

I still don't think he's discussing the AW's HDR1000 models aggressive ABL in content as much as he should. All he's going off is test slides and Halo. In a actual assortment of games the HDR1000 mode is pretty poor and the reason why I found the C1 to look more impressive which he alluded to in "some scenarios" because of it's much higher 10% highlight brightness.

It's interesting that he thinks the cause of the delay in North America was to actually provide Evo panels. Let's hope that's true.

His C2 has the worst white uniformity I've ever seen on a OLED. IMO that's a huge outlier and would be a instant return.
It's probably not that bad in person. Sometimes he tweaks the camera to exaggerate stuff like this so the viewer can see it better on video.

Last edited:

I still don't think he's discussing the AW's HDR1000 models aggressive ABL in content as much as he should. All he's going off is test slides and Halo. In a actual assortment of games the HDR1000 mode is pretty poor and the reason why I found the C1 to look more impressive which he alluded to in "some scenarios" because of it's much higher 10% highlight brightness.

It's interesting that he thinks the cause of the delay in North America was to actually provide Evo panels. Let's hope that's true.
You can't judge uniformity on camera.

So I went from thinking I was gonna have to cancel and reorder cause my card expired while waiting on backorder. Then I get the "it's being shipped" email! Good thing I didn't cancel when I called.

Well, not only did I receive it, but I got it for free!

1651972080312.png

Last edited:
You can't judge uniformity on camera.
Im not judging strictly on camera. He's stating how poor it is relative to all of the other OLED panels hes seen and the combination of how it's depicted on camera beside a pristine looking AW and his description are all it takes for me to determine the uniformity is terrible.

Mine came yesterday. I didn’t have screen damage due to packing like others have mentioned. There was one small spot that had some sticky on it but it wiped off extremely easy.

Haven’t used it much yet, still trying to troubleshoot some issues. It was resetting to 60hz if I alt tabbed but I think that was due to windows, I think I have that fixed by setting the monitor to 175hz in windows. The smoothness is nice btw. I don’t typically notice increased hz that much but I do notice this monitor is more clear than my previous 144 monitor.

It’s also making my computer really loud during certain gaming. I haven’t had time to figure that out yet. My card is still just a 1070 but I was in some non demanding games like the store tab of heroes of the storm and previewing certain models made my computer scream. Moving to a different model or alt tab makes it instantly quiet. Dunno if it is the increased resolution or what..

The monitor itself seems good though. Nice blacks and the text is fine (good even). Uniformity is very nice.

Back