Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

The input lag test causes concern, I thought it should be near 0 with the g-sync ultimate module installed :

No they do not. If you actually watch the video it shows the tests being conducted in 1080p an suboptimum configurations too. There is no input lag in normal settings at which this was designed for. OLED has the best input lag/latency response generally speaking as a monitor.

That guy is not a monitor/gaming oriented reviewer. He knows his display tech and intricasies of calibration but is very amateur when it comes to details pertaining to gaming. Like his previous video on the monitor he was demo'ing a game @ a stretched 16:9 res I think when the game supports 21:9 native.

EDIT: Also the choice of game for his HDR testing is pretty baffling (Halo Infinite). Now a days you need to piece the complete picture together from multiple review sources because there really isn't 1 that divulges everything.

I don’t get the viewing angle hype for a monitor. I’ve never had a monitor not be directly in front of me when viewing it…

TVs are a different story.
He's demonstrating the extreme but depending on a viewers seating distance preference it's important because even on a IPS you can lose some saturation at the edges on a display this wide when seated at a desk that isn't super deep. This monitor basically allows for ideal viewing conditions in any ergonomic position a user pleases.

So far haven't seen any real numbers taken with Native display resolution and Max hz. Waiting on Rtings, HUB, TFT, Prad, etc.

The panel is fast and without the weird ghosting/smearing issues.
Have placed a G7 240hz 1440p and AW side by side and the G7 is a smidge faster in response while AW has better clarity/smoother. This was using "Duplicate Display" and unfortunately can't send a native/active signal resolution of 2560x1440p to the AW.

He's demonstrating the extreme but depending on a viewers seating distance preference it's important because even on a IPS you can lose some saturation at the edges on a display this wide when seated at a desk that isn't super deep. This monitor basically allows for ideal viewing conditions in any ergonomic position a user pleases.
The majority of modern ultrawide monitors of this size are curved in towards the user making this largely a non-issue. I’ve used three IPS Ultrawide monitors since 2017 on both deep and shallow desks. One had trace amounts of backlight bleed on the edges due to being edge lit, but not anything tied to my viewing angle when looking at the monitor from my seating position.

Now my OLED TV on the other hand is a god send since some seating positions are very much off at an angle in my living room.

The majority of modern ultrawide monitors of this size are curved in towards the user making this largely a non-issue. I’ve used three IPS Ultrawide monitors since 2017 on both deep and shallow desks. One had trace amounts of backlight bleed on the edges due to being edge lit, but not anything tied to my viewing angle when looking at the monitor from my seating position.

Now my OLED TV on the other hand is a god send since some seating positions are very much off at an angle in my living room.
Seems like you sit ergonomically and proper position. Great! What was being showcased was for others who don't, have multiple monitors, move throughout the day, etc. Someone is just excited to finally have amazing viewing angles is all it is.

That video comparing with the 42" C2 will be interesting. People on the internet consider it a ridiculous comparison while I think it's apt. They really aren't that different in size other than height IMO which for many is a bonus due to the increase in vertical res.

I don’t get the viewing angle hype for a monitor. I’ve never had a monitor not be directly in front of me when viewing it…

You aren't sitting right in front of all your monitor. The sides are off axis to you, generally by as much as 30-40 degrees, even more depending on how close you sit. Curves can help mitigate that, of course. But that is why it matters, the edges are not viewed straight on so you see shift.

It's easy to notice on TVs or at extreme angles, but if you were to actually measure an LCD even at normal viewing angles it has some distortion on the pixels you're not looking at head on. Even whilte sitting directly in the center of the screen only the pixels at 0 degree angle are giving you perfect accuracy.
Whenever monitors are reviewed they measure from straight on in the center. If they took those measuremeants from a normal viewing distance and angled it at the side of the screen it wouldn't match the measurements from the center on an LCD and the specs wouldn't be as impressive, but an OLED would look exactly the same.
It's another area not really shown in the tech specs where OLEDs destroy LCD.

Today, I learned some people apparently sit way closer to their monitor than I do. And as a result they somehow have large enough viewing angles at the edges of the monitor that it impacts PQ.

I get the viewing angles are top notch on OLED but I swear some of y’all are trying to solve for a problem that doesn’t even exist for many, if not most users. :D If we were discussing the 32:9 monitors then I’d be more inclined to see the argument but curved 21:9 monitors…I just don’t see it. TVs are definitely a justifiable argument.

Hasn’t been an issue for me for the past 5 years. To each their own. I’m still looking forward to the first QD-OLED 38”!

Don't think too much into it, my gif of the Porsche was simply to show off the perfect viewing angles we have finally reached in computer monitor tech, something that has not been seen since the good CRT days.

Although as a photographer, I do something lean right into the desk close to the panel when working on fine details in Lightroom so being able to turn my head to the far side to look at another area without having to physically move my head there, and not get any colour shift or anything like that is actually a nice benefit now as a 34" is big enough for that to happen on an IPS LCD.

Viewing angles might not affect some of you much, if at all, but that doesn't take away from how fucking impressive the viewing angles of this tech are. Everytime I walk into my room I'm blown away by how perfect the AW looks from the side vs my two IPS panels. It's actually hilarious.

The last time I remember viewing angles not bothering me was the last time I had a monitor smaller than 27". Watch any dark content or content where large parts of the screen are the same color and LCD's shitty viewing angles become immediately apparent.

To each their own. I’m still looking forward to the first QD-OLED 38”!
Definitely, me too. 38" is the only way. The only thing that my current 38S is missing is the OLED black color. It tries really hard to emulate, but no, man, this is no oled :) Nice try though 🙂

Definitely, me too. 38" is the only way. The only thing that my current 38S is missing is the OLED black color. It tries really hard to emulate, but no, man, this is no oled :) Nice try though 🙂
I'd love to see a 38" QD-OLED but I think it's too niche of a market at this point in it's evolution.

I'd love to see a 38" QD-OLED but I think it's too niche of a market at this point in it's evolution.
It’s a smaller market than the 34” size but grew quite a bit in popularity the past couple of years. So it makes sense starting with the 34” and then release a 38” in the next couple of years.

The additional vertical resolution of 21:10 is very nice and the overall larger screen size makes it difficult to downgrade to a smaller size.

Just got mine delivered today despite Dell originally saying 4th of May.

Man, what a monitor, absolutely stunning! Yes, text can be a slight issue but I've already gotten used to it and it's a downside worth paying given just how good the PQ of this monitor is

Fellow owners, another thing to be cautious about. This thing is near impossible to clean. Even with a microfibre cloth it can still make microscratches in the AG coating

Just got mine delivered today despite Dell originally saying 4th of May.

Man, what a monitor, absolutely stunning! Yes, text can be a slight issue but I've already gotten used to it and it's a downside worth paying given just how good the PQ of this monitor is
Congrats!

Fellow owners, another thing to be cautious about. This thing is near impossible to clean. Even with a microfibre cloth it can still make microscratches in the AG coating
Should probably use LCD cleaning wipes or maybe camera lens wipes. I've had that issue before with LCD's.

Anyone with this screen and a LG CX/C1 OLED want to post their views here?
Are the colors really that more vibrant? If you had to only have one screen what one would you choose?
I'm trying to get as much info I can before the 42" release.

Anyone with this screen and a LG CX/C1 OLED want to post their views here?
Are the colors really that more vibrant? If you had to only have one screen what one would you choose?
I'm trying to get as much info I can before the 42" release.
The way I'd describe it is that the colors on the Alienware screen look more pure than the colors on the CX I have since QD-OLEDs don't have the extra white sub-pixel that can dilute the colors.

As a C1 owner, I dunno. I would have to decide with a coin flip. I can't settle for 1440p and I don't feel it's highlights in HDR are bright enough but it's got a motion clarity advantage thanks to 175hz and works far better for its intended purpose as a monitor. If I had to quantify the color improvement in % terms it's like 25% improvement in HDR.

Basically I would call it a tie with the decision coming down to a user's specific needs. In general though I think most would be happier with the Dell.

If you guys see lines appearing on your screens like image retention/burn-in, then do a panel refresh. It sorted mine that developed the last couple days.

Before:
imageretention_before-panelrefresh.jpg

After:
imageretention_after-panelrefresh.jpg

You can do a manual refresh whenever you like, the manual even points to this fact. The manual also states that a panel refresh happens every 1500 hours (via a prompt on the OSD), a pixel refresh happens every 4 hours (or at the 20th hour if you skip the 4 hour prompts). Panel refresh takes 1hr to complete, pixel refresh takes 7 minutes to complete.

Never had any lines on my unit, had it since the 8th of March now. That said, I've seen at least one other person talk about that, and a few LG OLED users have it crop up. Sometimes panel refresh helps, sometimes its RMA time.

Not a clue what the underlying cause is though.

You can do a manual refresh whenever you like, the manual even points to this fact. The manual also states that a panel refresh happens every 1500 hours (via a prompt on the OSD), a pixel refresh happens every 4 hours (or at the 20th hour if you skip the 4 hour prompts). Panel refresh takes 1hr to complete, pixel refresh takes 7 minutes to complete.
4 hour pixel refresh would probably take care of it also, without causing as much panel wear as the 1500hour/manual refresh.

Assuming it works similar to the OLED TV's.

I'd already ran a pixel refresh as the PC has been on all day so a pixel refresh would have ran at least twice by the afternoon. Only the panel refresh sorted it.

What was the review?

Played some Cyberpunk with HDR on and the max lum in game HDR settings changed to 1000 nits (default was 250 iirc). Much nicer.

CyberPunkHDR_2022.04.01_1931-54_00049.jpg

Reactions: djoye
like this
I'd already ran a pixel refresh as the PC has been on all day so a pixel refresh would have ran at least twice by the afternoon. Only the panel refresh sorted it.
Did you turn the monitor off? IIRC it should do it while its turned off, in in standby power.

Did you turn the monitor off? IIRC it should do it while its turned off, in in standby power.
Yes it /only/ runs when the monitor is powered off with the button or enters standby via the sleep command from the OS like when you shutdown/sleep or the display sleep state is activated when idle.

Back