Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

This AR coating is my biggest worry about it to be honest. From every video you can clearly see that any kind of ambient light, bright or not, turns blacks to grey. Mine's currently onboard for delivery (seems like what they were saying about the stands coming in on the 26th was true) and if this is the case it'll be promptly up for sale
Doesn't appear to be the coating, it seems that the panel itself is just fairly grey and the light just shows that off. A95K has the same behavior from the first impressions we have. That said, you need a good amount of light shining at this thing to properly turn blacks grey. Not hard to adjust your room lighting for optimal black levels either tbh. See other pics in this thread.

Not that bad at all, but also a small price to pay for the picture quality.

So what do your eight legged friends think of the monitor? 😊 Also be wary of one of them crawling into it ...
They were chilling in my PC a few years ago.
IMG_3515.JPG

Meanwhile I can tell the difference between no Gsync/Vsync, Gsync but half disabled due to NVCP 'Vsync' being off (subtle tearing along the bottom of the display), and full proper Gsync.

Kindof a curse sometimes tbh.

If I go to 60Hz I can easily see tearing, but for whatever reason it goes away at 144Hz.

I have my fps limited to 140fps FWIW.

I can, and have demonstrated being able to tell the difference between 90, 120, 144 and higher Hz. It's one of those things you can really tell when moving a notepad or other text-filled window from left to right. Can you read the text while you move it? How fast can you move the window from left to right before the text becomes too blurry to read?

If you had an actual piece of paper with some text on it, and whipped it past your head, but managed to follow it with your eyes, you'd be able to read it. as long as your eyes can follow the motion, you should be able to read the text.

So when you move a window from left-to-right on a screen and CAN'T read the text, you are demonstrating that you, yourself, can INDEED see the difference between low and high refresh rates.

In other words, if there is any point at which you can move a window around at 144Hz and can't read anything, your eyes are sensitive enough to see higher refresh rates, even if you can't consciously notice.

This doesn't really feel like a realistic test to me.

To me I would be interested to know if I can be playing my favorite game with g-sync on, and if I got up from my desk to go the the restroom and came back, but someone had switched g-sync off, and I go back to play, would I notice it was off?

For me that is a no, I don't notice. And so, if I don't notice, why should I pay more for the feature for instance?

I've lost all interest in this monitor and am now intrigued by all these spider webs. So many questions.
I mean, it looks like any PC enthusiast's garage I've seen. The webs on the INSIDE of the PC are a bit much for me... better than roaches I guess...

If I go to 60Hz I can easily see tearing, but for whatever reason it goes away at 144Hz.

I have my fps limited to 140fps FWIW.
Unfortunately I can see it even at my 141fps limit. In fact, the day I got this monitor, plugged it in and loaded up FH5 to try out on it, I noticed the tearing along the bottom of the display in the map and a few other areas in game. Had to pop into the NVCP to re-enable Vsync cus it had reverted a few settings when I was re-arranging monitors.

Does anyone have any color accuracy measurements for pre-calibration and post-calibration i1Display Pro or similar colorimeter (or i1Pro spectrophotometer)? There is a YouTube video with such information about this monitor, but I'd like more info - .

Are there enough hardware controls to achieve sRGB/Rec.709 standard? Does it have 10pt white balance? I don't care about HDR, only SDR. Based on that YouTube video, out-of-the-box color accuracy is relatively bad and 3DLUT is required to achieve good accuracy.

Colour/luminance seems perfectly fine to my eyes in Creator mode (sRGB profile, 2.4 Gamma) and a brightness of 52, contrast 66. This represents pretty much what I see on my old LG IPS ultra wide which has a hardware LUT and calibrated directly onto the monitor via LG Calibration Studio to 90cd/m2, 6500K with an i1Display Pro. I have not yet tried the i1Displa Pro on it yet as DisplayCAL does not yet have a correction profile for this probe and display combo. Maybe soon but I am happy enough for sRGB colour accurate photo editing and all my photos look how I expect them to look as a result in the above mode.

I also see no tearing at 144Hz VRR, in Cyberpunk I can see VRR working away at frames above 40fps as the game drops to around 55 in places but mostly stays in the 60s and 70s. All smooth and nice. No other game tears that I have played so far.

The red hue could be inherent in the panel because the subpixel is bigger than the blue and green. Looking at pictures and videos close up of the screen on a white background there is definitely a red hue. I hope further iterations of QD-OLED panel tech improve on this. Linus even said he could pick the QD-OLED out from a blind test because of the red hue.
The red AR hue is nothing to do with the OLED pixels in any way. With the power turned off, the hue is still there as it is a part of the AR coating itself, like how a sappshire watch crystal with double sided AR coating has a blue hue to it.

Why would you only run 144hz in battle Royale games?
Don't know what this means

Last edited:
Does anyone have any color accuracy measurements for pre-calibration and post-calibration i1Display Pro or similar colorimeter (or i1Pro spectrophotometer)? There is a YouTube video with such information about this monitor, but I'd like more info - .

Are there enough hardware controls to achieve sRGB/Rec.709 standard? Does it have 10pt white balance? I don't care about HDR, only SDR. Based on that YouTube video, out-of-the-box color accuracy is relatively bad and 3DLUT is required to achieve good accuracy.

Out of the box color is very good.

Vincent has detailed measurements.

Timestamp:

There are almost no hardware controls, and what there are are only available in creator mode which is natively P3 gamut.

There is only 1 point white balance, and what appears to be primary and secondary color saturation controls. But yeah I don't believe these controls are available in sRGB mode except the 1 point white balance control.

I can, and have demonstrated being able to tell the difference between 90, 120, 144 and higher Hz. It's one of those things you can really tell when moving a notepad or other text-filled window from left to right. Can you read the text while you move it? How fast can you move the window from left to right before the text becomes too blurry to read?

If you had an actual piece of paper with some text on it, and whipped it past your head, but managed to follow it with your eyes, you'd be able to read it. as long as your eyes can follow the motion, you should be able to read the text.

So when you move a window from left-to-right on a screen and CAN'T read the text, you are demonstrating that you, yourself, can INDEED see the difference between low and high refresh rates.

In other words, if there is any point at which you can move a window around at 144Hz and can't read anything, your eyes are sensitive enough to see higher refresh rates, even if you can't consciously notice.
Excellent post.
TestUFO's moving photo demo with the street map option selected is extremely useful for testing this.
https://www.testufo.com/photo

it seems that the panel itself is just fairly grey and the light just shows that off
Interesting - so kind of like the phosphor layer on CRT or plasma... I wonder if the R-G-B of the subpixels is actually visible with the display OFF and looking with a magnifying glass in a lit room.
Also now curious if shining a blue light from the front will activate the quantum dots.

Oh the viewing angles, the glorious viewing angles. Since 2014 I have waited for the day where there is no IPS glow, VA shift or colour change from any angle I view the screen at. What a time to be alive.

viewing-angles.gif
1c7[1].gif

Last edited:
bought mine day one wont ship till end of june like seriously wtf maybe stop giving your entire inventory to tech tubers before paying customers ><

i spammed refreshed the webpage lol got in with a dell rep told me bout the time it should go live waited about 2-3 hrs checking site then bam seen it after a F5. hit add to cart paid, checked the credit to make sure it was charged it was instantly got too happy thinking it made it in under the bots but nope lol back of da bus like my stem deck which keeps getting pushed back even though was in reserved spot after the servers took a steaming dump. was supposed to be early 2022 then got pushed back to feb, now wont be till sept or something.

According to this guy he is getting micro studders with 10bit hdr 175hz on Doom. Maybe he has messed up settings?

Just got mine delivered, haven't had a chance to do an in depth review of everything yet. The glossy finish is very love and hate for me, it certainly makes everything look a lot better, but I have no idea how I'm going to get any work done on this when all I can see is my blank face every time I add ambient light into my room

Just got mine delivered, haven't had a chance to do an in depth review of everything yet. The glossy finish is very love and hate for me, it certainly makes everything look a lot better, but I have no idea how I'm going to get any work done on this when all I can see is my blank face every time I add ambient light into my room
The sooner you embrace your beauty, the sooner you'll get work done.

According to this guy he is getting micro studders with 10bit hdr 175hz on Doom. Maybe he has messed up settings?

He also says he's not sure lol. Could be anything really, gsync disengaged, Fullscreen/Borderless, Nvidia control panel etc.
i thought this was down to 8bit if you try doing 175hz? a few reviews made mention of this.
Yup it is. Vincent/HDTV seems to think Nvidia is doing a great job in dithering so seems to be fine? Vega found a custom refresh/settings but nobody is 100% sure if it's accurate since Windows shows 10 bit along with Display HDR test

well soon as mine arrives ill be testing with alot of games that have HDR options my current dell is 50/50 if the ingame settings will actually detect it though. it'll be good to have a actual monitor capable of it and gsync ultimate not just compatible.

He also says he's not sure lol. Could be anything really, gsync disengaged, Fullscreen/Borderless, Nvidia control panel etc.

Yup it is. Vincent/HDTV seems to think Nvidia is doing a great job in dithering so seems to be fine? Vega found a custom refresh/settings but nobody is 100% sure if it's accurate since Windows shows 10 bit along with Display HDR test
I thought this my monitor only did 144 when 10bit hdr is selected. I think it was mentioned in the video in 1136.

https://hardforum.com/threads/dell-...led-175hz-3440-x-1440.2016696/post-1045316879

Bit of an update. So overall I am very happy with the monitor itself. No concerns at all really as previously hinted. The issue seems to be the same for many others too in that Dell package the monitor in an all cardboard box, and the sheet that protects the screen front panel is a bubble wrap sheet, the stiffer kind. This sheet then rubs against the AR coating as it is pressed up against the hard internal cardboard panels during transit resulting in marks on the edges and sometimes middle of the AR coating that don't easily rub off.

I raised a ticket with Dell and they have shipped me a replacement today arriving tomorrow.

It looks like their choice of cost cutting went as far as box packaging, instead of styrofoam they use hard cardboard which is a bit stupid really as it provides no contact protection like styro does or cushioning against impact in transit.

The marks are only visible when you shine a torch at the screen around the edges though thankfully and mine seem quite minimal vs what others have posted up. Still, you do not expect that from a monitor that has a mid 3 figure RRP let alone a 4 figure one.

I'm hoping that the replacement comes in a standard RMA brown box which means it should actually be packed in foam so should be peachy. I assume this because the replacement's service tag remains the same as my current one. Will find out tomorrow I guess.

Vid for ref of those marks so others can check too:

And I did a daylight through the window viewing test at a calibrated brightness level (100 nits):

Bit of an update. So overall I am very happy with the monitor itself. No concerns at all really as previously hinted. The issue seems to be the same for many others too in that Dell package the monitor in an all cardboard box, and the sheet that protects the screen front panel is a bubble wrap sheet, the stiffer kind. This sheet then rubs against the AR coating as it is pressed up against the hard internal cardboard panels during transit resulting in marks on the edges and sometimes middle of the AR coating that don't easily rub off.

I raised a ticket with Dell and they have shipped me a replacement today arriving tomorrow.

It looks like their choice of cost cutting went as far as box packaging, instead of styrofoam they use hard cardboard which is a bit stupid really as it provides no contact protection like styro does or cushioning against impact in transit.

The marks are only visible when you shine a torch at the screen around the edges though thankfully and mine seem quite minimal vs what others have posted up. Still, you do not expect that from a monitor that has a mid 3 figure RRP let alone a 4 figure one.

I'm hoping that the replacement comes in a standard RMA brown box which means it should actually be packed in foam so should be peachy. I assume this because the replacement's service tag remains the same as my current one. Will find out tomorrow I guess.

And I did a daylight through the window viewing test at a calibrated brightness level (100 nits):

I noticed some marks on mine from the bubble wrap layer that was on the screen but they rub off easily. There are some marks on mine that aren't rubbing off but they don't bother me enough to send it back. Still, Dell should have done a better job with packaging.

Last edited:

It seems like the coating is very delicate in general. I have some of the marks like in your video but I'm more bothered by the light scratches I now see (pointing a flashlight at the screen) after wiping the screen with a brand new microfiber cloth.

Neither are remotely visible in normal use and I don't think I care enough to deal with the hassle of an RMA

I am not too bothered by them really because as you say they are not visible in normal usage, only when you shine a light at the screen but I figured I'd chance a ticket with Dell and see if they send me a replacement without these marks. The replacement arrives tomorrow though and they are collecting the current one the following business day, so Monday. If the replacement has any sign of marks or other issue then I am sending the replacement back when they collect on Monday and updating the ticket to sate that I wish to just keep this one unless they can assure me any new replacement will be packed with logic and care.

Surprised they could even ship you one that soon. I'm guessing stock just came in and orders are going out again. That being said, guessing your going the lottery route right now? Unless if they've changed how it ships with the bubble wrap sheet?

Edit: you answered above while I was typing this lol
If the new panel still has the issues, maybe keep panel and partial refund?

One of my friends is getting his delivery today when previously it was saying his was due late April, and a bunch of others in the UK are getting theirs today/tomorrow too so yeah it does sound like fresh stock has arrived.

Hmm that's an interesting point, if I keep it with the marks and they accept a partial refund, then I will be fine with that for sure. I'm hoping that replacements ship in a typical brown box because their email states to ship back the "faulty" monitor in the new monitor's box - In the past Dell used plain brown boxes to ship replacement parts etc. If that's the case then these brown boxes come padded in foam so I'd expect the replacement to have no such issues. That and the service tag appears to be the same between my current one and the replacement, so further adding to the assumption that they are just shipping the monitor in non retail packaging I guess.

Oh the viewing angles, the glorious viewing angles. Since 2014 I have waited for the day where there is no IPS glow, VA shift or colour change from any angle I view the screen at. What a time to be alive.

viewing-angles.gif
I don’t get the viewing angle hype for a monitor. I’ve never had a monitor not be directly in front of me when viewing it…

TVs are a different story.

Back