Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Consider this: the same people defending this obviously horrifically flawed monitor are the ones who are personally insulting people over a display while simultaneously asking WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH ABOUT THIS?

In other words, they're insane.
Consider this; you're literally spamming bullshit from multiple accounts across the comments of a review you don't agree with, despite him being infinitely more respectable and knowledgeable than yourself.

But everyone else is apparently insane 😆

I'll admit that I HATE pentile maxtrix displays with a passion, but if that's the only real compromise on this monitor, I'll accept it.

I'll admit that I HATE pentile maxtrix displays with a passion, but if that's the only real compromise on this monitor, I'll accept it.
It's not pentile...if it was almost no one would want the thing, including me.

Pentile displays share sub pixels, shitting on sub pixel detail and requiring stupid high PPI to hope to compensate. This is RGB, just not stripe. A 'proprietary' RGB arrangement that I guess you could call...triangular?

Although I have no problems with the text, if I did, I'd still use this for gaming and just get a 27" 4K for work usage next to it.

This monitor has pretty much made almost every other LCD based display irrelevant to me. The only reason I'd still get an LCD is for niche sizes that are unlikely to move to OLED anytime soon.

Also 2D sprite-based sidescrollers actually look amazing on this to me, I haven't noticed any issues there tbh. Probably if I move closer to the screen I can, but not at my typical viewing distance (2.5 FT).

Although I have no problems with the text, if I did, I'd still use this for gaming and just get a 27" 4K for work usage next to it.

This monitor has pretty much made almost every other LCD based display irrelevant to me. The only reason I'd still get an LCD is for niche sizes that are unlikely to move to OLED anytime soon.

Also 2D sprite-based sidescrollers actually look amazing on this to me, I haven't noticed any issues there tbh. Probably if I move closer to the screen I can, but not at my typical viewing distance (2.5 FT).
I'm at maybe 2 feet and I have no issue with text or anything else on this panel; then again, I'm also not used to any other large displays with PPI much higher than this either.

It's not pentile...if it was almost no one would want the thing, including me.

Pentile displays share sub pixels, shitting on sub pixel detail and requiring stupid high PPI to hope to compensate. This is RGB, just not stripe. A 'proprietary' RGB arrangement that I guess you could call...triangular?
Oh.... weird.
So basically, text looks weird because of the odd subpixel structure.

Oh.... weird.
Yep. Though I probably wouldn't have noticed for months if people weren't whinging due to how close to the display I need to get to see the effects lol.

Oh.... weird.
Ya it is a cleartype thing. So cleartype works by doing antaliasing not just on the pixel level, but on the sub pixel level. It works to create as smooth a gradient as possible by knowing where in a pixel the RGB components are and setting their brightness accordingly. For normal computer monitors it is RGB in that order, in a vertical stripe. One square pixel is made of 3 vertical rectangles each of one color. Cleartype uses that knowledge to smooth it more than you could just doing grayscale antialiasing. It should be noted how well this works varies on the monitor as the "3 rectangles" thing is an oversimplification and while some monitors are basically that, others have different shapes of the subpixels. Still laid out in the same arrangement generally, but different element shapes. So it works better on some displays than others. Likewise some displays, particularly TVs, will use a different order. BGR is common there, so it doesn't work well unless you re-tune it for that. Others like WOLED that use RGBW don't have any cleartype mode for them, so always look a bit off.

Well this display has the sub pixels in kind of a triangle layout. They aren't right next to each other, but in a triangular cluster. Also they aren't rectangles, but hexagons. So the assumptions cleartype makes about them is wrong, meaning that it isn't going to give as smooth a result. This could be remedied to a large extent by a new cleartype mode that is designed for this layout, but of course that would have to be added to the OS. It also wouldn't help with programs that do their own subpixel antialiasing and rely on RGB stripe.

It is likely to be a problem that you just have to deal with, at least for awhile. Given that MS never added a RGBW cleatype mode that I'm aware of means they probably aren't going to jump on adding one for this. However it also isn't going to be something major. As anyone who has used a WOLED or BGR TV can tell you it is noticeable if you look, but it also isn't that big a deal.

Consider this; you're literally spamming bullshit from multiple accounts across the comments of a review you don't agree with, despite him being infinitely more respectable and knowledgeable than yourself.

But everyone else is apparently insane 😆

Actually, I'm far more knowledgeable than he is, but thanks for playing. It has nothing to do with agreement. He's objectively wrong and misleading people.

Last edited:
My friend has decided to dump this on ebay since people are paying obnoxious amounts for one so my time is up with the monitor.

I don't really want to sit in a 3 month que for one so soon as they it becomes available else where I'll buy. Resolution aside I think it's a great monitor though I wish it's HDR capabilities were better sorted but at this point what's it matter when the alternative is FALD.

You don't know what you're talking about. More misinformation from people who don't even know what integer scaling is. Just stop.

Oh.... weird.

It's not just text. Anything where you actually want clean edges like emulators or pixel art games will always look like you have some kind of filtering on this turd display. It's junk.

I’m surprised about the amount of rhetoric being tossed back and forth. I guess some people can’t be pleased and are perfectionists.

Personally I am putting an order in next month when I can get a discount with their business membership program. I code 8 hours a day and occasionally play games and movies. I am coming from a 30” IPS panel, I would be surprised if this panel would make me say ewwww the text looks like crap and it is the worst monitor ever. If it does I will come back on here and eat crow. I doubt they would make a panel that would be like that. Especially one that has so much hype and is supposed to be on the professional end.

It doesn't force you to do it after 4 or 20 hours. It simply prompts you if you haven't told it to not notify you again (which you should imo). If you do click the proceed and do not notify button, it will run a single refresh, then from there on will not notify you anymore after you hit subsequent 4 hour usage streaks. It will notify you at 20 (I hit that once so far on a particularly long day), but it will not force you to refresh then either.

In fact, once you click do not notify me, it only warns you at 20 hours and there are no other popups at all as far as I have seen. It still also automatically runs when the monitor enters standby (if it's been used for more than 4 hours), but can be interrupted just fine by waking the system, with no popups or undue effects there either. Very near like using any other monitor aside from the 20 hour popup and the fact it will turn off when it finishes the pixel refresh in standby if you do not wake it quickly enough.
Ah I see, so that's how it works. By Standby I assume that also applies to manually pressing the power button? My Windows is now set to display the black screen screensaver after 5 mins idle, so normally I just walk away and lock the screen and let it do its thing. the monitor is still no, just on a black screen and looks like it's off because OLED. If I come back 5 hours later and press the power button to actually put it into standby, that should in theory trigger the pixel refresh?

A review from the man, the myth, the legend.

Regarding the sub pixel layout, as several have mentioned most technology will have comprises. You need to do your research and find the tech that suits your preferences and use cases. If something isn't a good fit for you it doesn't make it a "turd" for everyone else.

How often get this video now posted here?
It’s like spam at this point, pls stop 🙏

A review from the man, the myth, the legend.

Regarding the sub pixel layout, as several have mentioned most technology will have comprises. You need to do your research and find the tech that suits your preferences and use cases. If something isn't a good fit for you it doesn't make it a "turd" for everyone else.

Yep.

Opinions are like Assholes. Everyone has them, and they all stink.

How often get this video now posted here?
It’s like spam at this point, pls stop 🙏
He released that video on the 26th. I didn't see it posted.

I went back to page 24 which has posts from Thursday, the 24th, and went forward and didn't see it. If I missed it, sorry.

Edit: I see it it was at the top of the page and it was a hyperlink of the title. I was scanning for a screenshot.

Last edited:
He's not a myth or legend. He doesn't even know what he's doing. He's compared TVs using compressed video sources using devices that decompress them differently. It's laughable. He's just another internet shill who says what companies want him to say in exchange for ad revenue and free hardware samples.

And for anyone dumb enough to think he has any real expertise, a TV calibrator is like one step up from working at Geek Squad. Get real.

He's not a myth or legend. He doesn't even know what he's doing. He's compared TVs using compressed video sources using devices that decompress them differently. It's laughable. He's just another internet shill who says what companies want him to say in exchange for ad revenue and free hardware samples.

And for anyone dumb enough to think he has any real expertise, a TV calibrator is like one step up from working at Geek Squad. Get real.
I decided to check out your channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwPvdwZZ35dm6xozp-zpcpQ/videos

You seem to be very much into emulators, pixel graphics, and tirades. I'm sorry this display doesn't meet your needs, feel free to not purchase it. Also, I'm sorry you find HDTVTest to be lacking, perhaps you can take up the mantle and perform monitor reviews on your channel. Seeing as how you know better than all the others I would imagine you'll be incredibly successful at it.

I decided to check out your channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwPvdwZZ35dm6xozp-zpcpQ/videos

You seem to be very much into emulators, pixel graphics, and tirades. I'm sorry this display doesn't meet your needs, feel free to not purchase it. Also, I'm sorry you find HDTVTest to be lacking, perhaps you can take up the mantle and perform monitor reviews on your channel. Seeing as how you know better than all the others I would imagine you'll be incredibly successful at it.

Unlike almost every human on the planet, I have dignity, and I'm not willing to GRAB ANKLE to get free hardware to shill out, but thanks for your interest. We'll forward your request to management.

Pass it in low to big blue.

*DUNK*

Unlike almost every human on the planet, I have dignity, and I'm not willing to GRAB ANKLE to get free hardware to shill out, but thanks for your interest. We'll forward your request to management.

*DUNK*
Well of course, you'll have to buy the equipment, but if means being the only trustworthy monitor reviewer out that there you'll more than cover your expenses with your subs, patrons, and ad revenue.

I've mostly been using HDR 400 on this monitor since I got it thinking it was better overall but after watching Vincent's review I'm not sure. The ABL is noticeable in Peak 1000 mode but maybe it's the more accurate mode since it doesn't clip the whites? What do you guys think?

Many, you must be right about this monitor being crap. I'm reading your posts on it and I can't see any signs whatsoever of you having dignity

Maybe you don't know as much about dignity as you think you do.

*SWISH*

I've mostly been using HDR 400 on this monitor since I got it thinking it was better overall but after watching Vincent's review I'm not sure. The ABL is noticeable in Peak 1000 mode but maybe it's the more accurate mode since it doesn't clip the whites? What do you guys think?
Why does ABL matter in games/movies? LG OLED has more aggressive ABL and it's almost never a real issue. Assuming those are the primary types of content you would bother with HDR for. On the desktop I would just use whatever mode is least annoying with larger white windows, HDR accuracy doesn't matter there.

You ok, dude? You sound like you need a hug.

HDTVtest aka "Vincent" is one of the most well respected youtubers on TV settings and calibration. Not sure where you get off making those sorts of statements about him.

I have an LG CX that I use as my monitor. What's your opinion on that?

Having spent quite some time with my eyes on this thing I have to say I am 95% fully satisfied and very impressed with it.

Cliffs:

1: Out of the box calibration is actually very good as shown by spectral readings taken by some reviewers. I have an i1Display Pro and have been waiting for a correction profile for DisplayCAL to be available to download but having watched more reviews now and see just how good Creator mode in sRGB is, this is what I am using now and may just stick to this until a later date when a correction profile is out. Windows based profiles are a fresh return for me now because my old screen had a hardware LUT so all calibrations were sent directly to the monitor via LG Calibration Studio using the same i1DP and any Windows profile did diddly squat which was great. Be sure to remove the Windows colour profile Dell installs if you install the monitor driver. It is not necessary and will mute all colour tones as a result of it being active.

2: Gamma set to 2.4 is where it's at in the OSD. Side by side viewing my own edited photographs and having the S22 Ultra set to Natural mode (also hailed as highly accurate) they look identical when flashing up the same photos. Gamma in the OSD set to 2.2 might seem like it should be the way to go as that's the default target under a PC environment, but 2.4 actually visually looks/feels the most accurate and the phone screen reflects a near perfect match, too when displaying the same photo on both. Movies and media also benefit because you see less blocky black artefacts during shadow transitions into black areas of scene. There's still shadow details, but the blocky artefacts in some content is now masked away as a result of the greater contrast from 2.4 gamma.

3: Performance is immense. I have a Huawei MateView GT which is a VA panel, 34" ultra wide and 165Hz FreeSync. That thing does not come anywhere near to even breathing in the realms of the AW3423DW.

4: The curve actually makes content consumption and gaming more immersive and the experience greater. I watched Star Trek Picard's new episode and because they broadcast in 21:9, the experience is naturally excellent without having to switch up the aspect ratio switcher in browser or media apps.

5: The 5% point loss is due to how audible the Gsync module fan is to my ears. It's not majorly annoying, but my PC is deathly silent, so anything as much as a whisper is audible to me. I will likely buy a gen2 if it comes with FreeSync Pro or an updated Gsync module that has no fan.

6: The AR coating on this panel is absolutely excellent. It produces LESS reflection/glare than my matte IPS LG panel (also 34" but flat not curved). Yes the AR coating has a red hue to it, but so does the 65" LG OLED TV and that is also perfectly fine. The AR coating does make black tones look slightly grey in bright lighting though but that's to be expected, otherwise all you would see is glare and bad reflections ruining the screen. So what do you want to compromise on when in bright lighting in front of the panel? Actually being able to see stuff, or precious blacks being black in those specifically bright conditions but you can't see anyway because there are so many reflections causing a distraction??

Just look at it, look!

Picard_1.jpg

*DUNK*
In your opinion, what is a good model of display to buy?

In your opinion, what is a good model of display to buy?

There's no perfect display, but I'll say this: a 34" ultrawide, which is the same height as a 27" 16:9 monitor, is way too small unless you live in a shoebox and really can't spare the room. It's basically a Danny Devito aspect ratio. All width and no height.

If I were getting an ultrawide, it'd be 38" or don't even get out of bed.

There's no perfect display, but I'll say this: a 34" ultrawide, which is the same height as a 27" 16:9 monitor, is way too small unless you live in a shoebox and really can't spare the room. It's basically a Danny Devito aspect ratio. All width and no height.

This is not correct logic in the slightest.

I'll get the 38" 1600p UW Oled_QD when it cums!

But its not out yet and the AW34 is excellent.....sooooooo......yea....awkward........

That didn't answer my question.

I asked "In your opinion, what is a good model of display to buy?"

If you could please answer, I would appreciate it.

That didn't answer my question.

I asked "In your opinion, what is a good model of display to buy?"

If you could please answer, I would appreciate it.

No one can answer that question for you because there are tons of variables that would change the answer for each person.

Ah I see, so that's how it works. By Standby I assume that also applies to manually pressing the power button? My Windows is now set to display the black screen screensaver after 5 mins idle, so normally I just walk away and lock the screen and let it do its thing. the monitor is still no, just on a black screen and looks like it's off because OLED. If I come back 5 hours later and press the power button to actually put it into standby, that should in theory trigger the pixel refresh?
By standy I mean either the 'when plugged in turn off screen after X', or turning the PC off and letting it go to sleep due to no signal.

You don't know what you're talking about. More misinformation from people who don't even know what integer scaling is. Just stop.
I know what integer scaling is. Pixelated edges in these types of games still look sharp and clean to my eyes. Have you actually used the display, or are you just speculating how it might look?

Yes... you can see some slight color fringing very close up as shown in the second pic. But in normal use it's not noticeable. I guess if you're anal about it, it could be a dealbreaker. Doesn't bother me at all though.

IMG_3637.png

IMG_3638 (1).png

Back