Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Damn, thanks for the update! Gotta watch Vincent work his magic now lol

1648341089481.png

Last edited:
Great review! I've been using 175Hz in HDR too as I don't notice a difference in image quality from 144 Hz despite the dithering.
I did the settings posted earlier for the 177hz with 10bit. How would you know if it is really in 10bit mode?

177hz-10bit.jpg

The image persistence test was pretty impressive. I guess I’ll be replacing the 48” c1 when Samsung has smaller panels than 55” for the tiny living room.

The image persistence test was pretty impressive. I guess I’ll be replacing the 48” c1 when Samsung has smaller panels than 55” for the tiny living room.
Yeah, that was pretty impressive! Damn, it's crazy that Samsung likely had this in the over for so long

I wonder how long we'll have to wait for bigger versions... I'm a big 38"-40"ultrawide fan at this point but I would even take a 4k 32" 16:9 panel as well. I hope we see it soon.

Squadrons is pretty amazeballs on this thing...only issue is the Tiefighter cockpit sucks ass!

those red lights searing on the side....is that really necessary to have that in your FACE lol

1648348159117.png

Xwing FTW
1648348248304.png

That's some bad VRR flicker he's producing in game. I only saw it in menus and loading screens.

That's some bad VRR flicker he's producing in game. I only saw it in menus and loading screens.
Same, quite curious about that. I haven't managed to make it pop up in any actual gameplay, even in The Medium at 49fps (which looked horrible at even ~80 on a CX).

Maybe 175hz makes it worse? I've been running 144 since the first day personally. Would definitely like a deeper dive into this.

So ignoring all the usual shills who pretend that every product ever released is great, why aren't people talking about the supposed horrific color fringing on this turd?

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/0...-alienware-aw3423dw-samsung-qd-oled-monitors/

https://www.reddit.com/r/hfr/comments/tgrpf8/big_problem_with_qdoled_in_alienware_monitor/
Because, as others have stated, it's not that big of a deal in real world scenarios where you don't have your face 5 inches from the display or aren't taking macro images of the pixels?

Also, are you the absolute low life that is spamming the same stupid messages about the text and the same outright lie about the sub pixel structure being pentile across Vincents comment section? Very similar name here, plus the same whiny arguement lol.

Exactly, this pops up every 2 pages or so lmaooo
I'm starting to feel like some of these people aren't actually interested in any information about this, they are just looking to try and justify to themselves as to why they don't want one. It isn't good faith "Hey what do people think about this?" it is "I am not going to get one of these (or don't want to) and I want to feel justified in that so I want to find problems to justify my decision." It is like they hear about people liking the monitor, get annyoed with that, and go "Well what about this downside? Aren't you unhappy now?"

If you don't want the display that is totally fine, or if you just want to wait and see how things go (or if something better comes along). However continually trying to being up the same issue over and over is silly. Yes, it has a non-standard subpixel layout. Yes, this means cleartype will look different. No, not everyone gives a shit about that. If that is the be-all, end-all for you then you wouldn't want this. However don't be surprised if it doesn't matter to many. Some people are fine with the tradeoff.

I'm starting to feel like some of these people aren't actually interested in any information about this, they are just looking to try and justify to themselves as to why they don't want one. It isn't good faith "Hey what do people think about this?" it is "I am not going to get one of these (or don't want to) and I want to feel justified in that so I want to find problems to justify my decision." It is like they hear about people liking the monitor, get annyoed with that, and go "Well what about this downside? Aren't you unhappy now?"

If you don't want the display that is totally fine, or if you just want to wait and see how things go (or if something better comes along). However continually trying to being up the same issue over and over is silly. Yes, it has a non-standard subpixel layout. Yes, this means cleartype will look different. No, not everyone gives a shit about that. If that is the be-all, end-all for you then you wouldn't want this. However don't be surprised if it doesn't matter to many. Some people are fine with the tradeoff.
This is happening all over, and the crazy demand + lack of supply is only making it worse.

Have you actually seen the thing for yourself? The subpixel structure arguement is so insanely overblown.

There is a reason almost no reviewers have mentioned it up to this point, aside from a clickbait German review deriding it as an absolute dealbreaker lol.

Unless you're used to 4K or 5K 27 inch panels, you probably won't see any issue with this one. If you are, then I guess the pixel density was never going to work for you anyway.
Dell is abysmal in my country so fat chance of getting one easily. Otherwise I might buy one to try and return if needed.

I've read several reports of people saying they feel the pixel structure makes things look worse than on the LG OLEDs and that is a dealbreaker for me because it's already an issue on the LGs, mitigated by scaling and Cleartype adjustments. The one thing I hoped QD-OLED had was a regular RGB pixel structure so these sort of issues could be avoided.

As for reviews...most don't go anywhere near as in depth as Rtings or TFTCentral. So it's no surprise that real issues get glossed over. At this point I trust the regular users on forums to point out the bad stuff.

Because, as others have stated, it's not that big of a deal in real world scenarios where you don't have your face 5 inches from the display or aren't taking macro images of the pixels?

Also, are you the absolute low life that is spamming the same stupid messages about the text and the same outright lie about the sub pixel structure being pentile across Vincents comment section? Very similar name here, plus the same whiny arguement lol.

The only lie is that this monitor doesn't have a horrible flaw that shills are ignoring. The only low lives are the ones who take money to shill out garbage on the internet.

Have you actually seen the thing for yourself? The subpixel structure arguement is so insanely overblown.

There is a reason almost no reviewers have mentioned it up to this point, aside from a clickbait German review deriding it as an absolute dealbreaker lol.

Unless you're used to 4K or 5K 27 inch panels, you probably won't see any issue with this one. If you are, then I guess the pixel density was never going to work for you anyway.

Yeah, there is a reason: they're paid shills and want to keep getting early/free review samples. That's the actual reason.

Stop downplaying it like some paid youtube shill. It's actually a big deal. I love how people pretend that a dog shit pixel structure just impacts fonts. If you play emulated games with a clean stretch/no filtering, this actually introduces artifacts that makes it look like the pixels are filtered. You can't even get clean images out of this turd.

Frankly, electronics consumers are some of the dumbest consumers on the planet. They'll accept almost ANYTHING. Generations of SHIT displays and rubes just keep on buying them.

the people complaining about odd pixel layout on a screen designed for media/games not text dont understand why they are like that. my uled is like that and sure i can see a rainbow edge on my text if i cock my head just right but so what, its for games, movies, yt and [H]. if you want perfect text get a display designed for it. oh, guess im shilling now...

Yes it's the same guy, I believe from Germany that spams the same hyperbole over multiple forums/youtube comments etc.

And LOL @ people that buy ANY 1440p monitor if text clarity is a critical aspect. Only noobs do that.

The only lie is that this monitor doesn't have a horrible flaw that shills are ignoring. The only low lives are the ones who take money to shill out garbage on the internet.
Sure thing spammer.

You might wanna look up what Pentile actually is by the way, and see if you can get a life while you're at it.

Stop downplaying it like some paid youtube shill. It's actually a big deal. I love how people pretend that a dog shit pixel structure just impacts fonts. If you play emulated games with a clean stretch/no filtering, this actually introduces artifacts that makes it look like the pixels are filtered. You can't even get clean images out of this turd.

Frankly, electronics consumers are some of the dumbest consumers on the planet. They'll accept almost ANYTHING. Generations of SHIT displays and rubes just keep on buying them.
Imagine looking at macro shots of a pixel structure from some whiny German site vs evaluating a display at a realistic viewing distance, and then deciding that is enough to spam misinformation across the internet like the creators of this monitor personally insulted your mothers honor. All without ever seeing the monitor for yourself I might add.

You must have a boring life my dude.

Imagine looking at macro shots of a pixel structure from some whiny German site vs evaluating a display at a realistic viewing distance, and then deciding that is enough to spam misinformation across the internet like the creators of this monitor personally insulted your mothers honor. All without ever seeing the monitor for yourself I might add.

You must have a boring life my dude.

Imagine shilling for Samsung. Yikes. Embarrassing.

And the misinformation is that it's NOT a problem, FYI.

Yes it's the same guy, I believe from Germany that spams the same hyperbole over multiple forums/youtube comments etc.

And LOL @ people that buy ANY 1440p monitor if text clarity is a critical aspect. Only noobs do that.

It isn't just text smart guy. Any pixel art game with clean stretching where you expect pixels to have edges that don't fringe is going to look like butt, but enjoy your overpriced ass log.

Tends to happen when no life spammers enter the conversation lol.

Though I am quite surprised they have time to reply here between their multiple YouTube accounts spamming the same crap :D

Consider this: the same people defending this obviously horrifically flawed monitor are the ones who are personally insulting people over a display while simultaneously asking WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH ABOUT THIS?

In other words, they're insane.

Tends to happen when no life spammers enter the conversation lol.

Though I am quite surprised they have time to reply here between their multiple YouTube accounts spamming the same crap :D
Always that saying, "You can't reason with crazy, you can't argue with stupid."

Man I've been enjoying this monitor so much. Love using a microscope while playing to see the no ghosting around each pixel especially at high refresh.

My take on the text quality is that it's definitely noticeable so if you're one of those office/productivity freaks who throws a fit at anything but the most absolute pristine text then this is not the display for you. I do also agree with the guy above that it's noticeable in games once you know what you're looking for but it's really only bothersome to me in 2D side scrollers. Overall though I think the monitors other huge leaps over traditional LCD (contrast, pixel response, viewing angle) greatly out weigh the less than ideal text quality.

I probably agree that it's maybe a "gaming/multimedia" display first and foremost like Vincent from HDTV test hinted but the average user will have no problem using it for anything including work.

Wow. This kid is... something else. Gets an opinion about something and then gets mad at anyone who has the temerity to have a different opinion. Initially I thought it might be sour grapes because he couldn't or didn't choose to afford it. You know the "I didn't want it anyway," thing that we've all mentally done at least one for something we couldn't have. However looks more like it is just a case of being angry that anyone might have a different opinion and lashing out about that. Yikes.

At any rate to those who don't have one and are on the fence about things like this: Just wait. More reviews and data will come, wait and see if it is something you want. You can also get in line to get one, and change your mind later. That's where I am, I don't have one yet, I just have it on order and have been watching this thread with interest. So far, everything I've seen makes me want to keep my order, but Dell is good they'll let you cancel any time up until they ship. So you can put in an order now to get in line, if you wish, and still cancel later if reviews come out that make you not want it, or if you just change your mind.

Likewise you probably don't need to worry about getting in line in the long run, unlike consoles this isn't likely to be a "forever out of stock" kind of thing. The 38" ones were hard to find for a bit, now Dell will ship you one in 2 days if you pay for it. I suspect that before the end of the year you'll simply be able to order one from Dell any time you want and get it in a couple days.

As with anything, make sure to consider the cons as well as the pros, but also don't get yourself worked up over a single con. Everything has downsides, it is about deciding the balance that works right for YOU, there no one answer for all people. But don't pitch a fit if you can't have one, or don't want one.

Back