Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Pixel refresh happens every 4 hours of on time, or if you cancel a refresh then it will automatically be done after 20 hours.

Panel refresh is every 1500 hours and takes 1 hour to complete whilst pixel refresh takes 7 minutes.

Guys, can someone explain what exactly is going on with reflections on this monitor? Why are they distorted and how are they so... absent?
The last true glossy monitor I had was an ASUS VG236 from like 2010, and I distinctly remember being able to see myself clearly with no distortion all the time in dark scenes.
This monitor is maybe just a hair less glossy, but I NEVER see any reflections under normal circumstances. How is this possible with how glossy it is? Is this the same thing as what high-end TVs have nowadays? It's legitimately amazing.

It's a red filtered AR coating like what you would see on a modern LG OLED TV etc, and because it's curved, that's where the distortion is coming from. I get less reflections that diffuse an cause annoyance on this than I did with my IPS LCD 34" that I just upgraded from. there is a light I have behind me that was always off when using the PC but now I can have it on and it's a non issue.

It's a red filtered AR coating like what you would see on a modern LG OLED TV etc, and because it's curved, that's where the distortion is coming from. I get less reflections that diffuse an cause annoyance on this than I did with my IPS LCD 34" that I just upgraded from. there is a light I have behind me that was always off when using the PC but now I can have it on and it's a non issue.
I have a G7 which has a WAY more aggressive curve and the reflections are slightly distorted because of that but otherwise they're what you'd expect.
On this monitor the reflections are mega zoomed in and squished vertically. I've never seen anything like it.
EDIT: Actually I think I may have just forgotten what reflections look like due to not really seeing them since the VG236 LOL. I guess the zoom thing is normal?

Pixel refresh happens every 4 hours of on time, or if you cancel a refresh then it will automatically be done after 20 hours.

Panel refresh is every 1500 hours and takes 1 hour to complete whilst pixel refresh takes 7 minutes.
It doesn't force you to do it after 4 or 20 hours. It simply prompts you if you haven't told it to not notify you again (which you should imo). If you do click the proceed and do not notify button, it will run a single refresh, then from there on will not notify you anymore after you hit subsequent 4 hour usage streaks. It will notify you at 20 (I hit that once so far on a particularly long day), but it will not force you to refresh then either.

In fact, once you click do not notify me, it only warns you at 20 hours and there are no other popups at all as far as I have seen. It still also automatically runs when the monitor enters standby (if it's been used for more than 4 hours), but can be interrupted just fine by waking the system, with no popups or undue effects there either. Very near like using any other monitor aside from the 20 hour popup and the fact it will turn off when it finishes the pixel refresh in standby if you do not wake it quickly enough.

Yes the display is trash now, lots of issues. Cancel your pre-orders folks, certainly no reason to want one.

And no, I'm not posting this because I want Dell to fulfill my order faster. Certainly not. I would never do that.
Now convince yourself you really don't want or need it at all......and once you reach that jedi status it will be easy to order two and have one sent at nearly half price!

Some interesting info here on the fan https://www.computerbase.de/2022-03.../#abschnitt_nvidia_gsync_ultimate_mit_luefter
- Fan is always on when eco mode is disabled, 10 watts constant power draw

This does not align with what I'm experiencing on mine. The fan is always going but it's basically inaudible when my ear is more than 6" away from the top of the monitor. I turned every noise generating thing off in my room to test aside from my work laptop which is a few feet away and its slow spinning fan is all I can hear from my sitting position.

I also looked at rough power consumption through my UPS. There is no difference in power draw between "off" and "unplugged" as far as the UPS can tell, so it would be less than 1w while off. When the monitor is on and displaying basically nothing, it consumes about 23w.

Last edited:
This does not align with what I'm experiencing on mine. The fan is always going but it's basically inaudible when my ear is more than 6" away from the top of the monitor. I turned every noise generating thing off in my room to test aside from my work laptop which is a few feet away and its slow spinning fan is all I can hear from my sitting position.

I also looked at rough power consumption through my UPS. There is no difference in power draw between "off" and "unplugged" as far as the UPS can tell, so it would be less than 1w while off. When the monitor is on and displaying basically nothing, it consumes about 23w.
I see a 12W drop on my UPS when unplugging the monitor vs. plugged in and off. I believe the review is stating that ECO mode shuts off the fan after ten minutes after auto power off, but I haven't tested that yet.

Is there no way to run a PS5 at higher resolution than 1080p on this?

It’s been confirmed the hdmi port won’t accept 4K and downscale the image like some monitors do.

I was thinking maybe an active hdmi to display port adapter, so PS5 sends 4K to the display port and the image being downscaled on the monitor? Or is that not possible?

Can you send the displayport a 4K image?
It can only do 1080p in SDR.
Has nothing to do with ports and everything to do with its nonstandard resolution.

It can only do 1080p in SDR.
Has nothing to do with ports and everything to do with its nonstandard resolution.
It can also do HDR in 1080p.

He asks because certain 1440p monitors accept 4k signal and can downscale as necessary. Seems like limited to non gsync module monitors so far.

Haven't tried with an active display port either. Don't feel like/nor want to test it out lmao

Last edited:
Guys don't hate on me but I don't think HDR looks that impressive on this monitor. HDR400 mode has some dim highlights but 50% window is significantly brighter than a C1 so it's kind of providing an illusion of overall brightness. In reality it doesn't look all that impressive with highlights. HDR1000 mode is just a spec sheet/marketing mode and just not viable.

Don't get me wrong, it's by far better than most prior monitors but not exactly the HDR revelation people are making it out to be online. I think it's because most people are coming from garbage IPS monitors.

We need more brightness but I guess this is the compromise for a 3 year warranty.

Guys don't hate on me but I don't think HDR looks that impressive on this monitor. HDR400 mode has some dim highlights but 50% window is significantly brighter than a C1 so it's kind of providing an illusion of overall brightness. In reality it doesn't look all that impressive with highlights. HDR1000 mode is just a spec sheet/marketing mode and just not viable.

Don't get me wrong, it's by far better than most prior monitors but not exactly the HDR revelation people are making it out to be online. I think it's because most people are coming from garbage IPS monitors.

We need more brightness but I guess this is the compromise for a 3 year warranty.
Honeymoon phase wearing off?

Honeymoon phase wearing off?
Nah I don't own it. I've just had the opportunity to test it extensively thanks to someone who is wishy washy on keeping it vs throwing it on eBay for $2000+ and just buying it later or getting the 42" OLED. I gotta say though that whatever saturation this QD-OLED displays whether it's inaccurate calibration or color volume looks really impressive. It's the first big jump in "color" I've seen.

We've been having discussions and realize maybe it's better to wait. Neo G8 and even PG32UQXE are no OLED but will offer a great HDR experience at a similar price while being 4K/240hz and 160hz. If I owned one I'd probably be in the same predicament.

Eh, the HDR is definitely better on it than LG OLED sets. My PG32UQX has brighter highlights but along with less contrast + blooming. So you have to pick your poison.

I feel like swapping to this from my Neo G9 is just going to be a downgrade in everything other than colours and no blooming (which is so low on this that it doesn't bother me)

I feel like swapping to this from my Neo G9 is just going to be a downgrade in everything other than colours and no blooming (which is so low on this that it doesn't bother me)
kePjrZA9zWXLnd2K7
https://images.app.goo.gl/kePjrZA9zWXLnd2K7https://images.app.goo.gl/kePjrZA9zWXLnd2K7

Loving the monitor even more. LCD tech has a certain veil to the image likely due to the matte coating along with black/dark images not having that contrast. Have a G7 1440p/240hz beside it and while the G7 has a smidge better response time the AW clarity is better than the G7 and much smoother.
If you're happy with your Neo G9 no need to get this at all. This monitor is people like me who have been wanting true blacks, glossy, Oled Clarity, etc.

People who like their brightness high constantly and are nit picky about text clarity this is not for you lol

Last edited:
It can also do HDR in 1080p.

He asks because certain 1440p monitors accept 4k signal and can downscale as necessary. Seems like limited to non gsync module monitors so far.

Haven't tried with an active display port either. Don't feel like/nor want to test it out lmao
Yeah I have bought it for PC but it’s a bonus if I could use it for PS5. I would then get rid of my dual monitor setup.

It’s not getting delivered till June so maybe Sony adds 1440p support by then, one can hope!

Nah I don't own it. I've just had the opportunity to test it extensively thanks to someone who is wishy washy on keeping it vs throwing it on eBay for $2000+ and just buying it later or getting the 42" OLED. I gotta say though that whatever saturation this QD-OLED displays whether it's inaccurate calibration or color volume looks really impressive. It's the first big jump in "color" I've seen.

We've been having discussions and realize maybe it's better to wait. Neo G8 and even PG32UQXE are no OLED but will offer a great HDR experience at a similar price while being 4K/240hz and 160hz. If I owned one I'd probably be in the same predicament.
This year there's a lot of new categories like these 34" QD-OLEDs and the 42" LG but everything points to both of these having their own share of issues. I feel like next year these products will be way better, with probably more vendors for the same panels.

For me the QD-OLED pixel structure was a dealbreaker already so I'll be glad to wait for 4K options of these panels as DPI scaling can help mitigate those problems like it does on the LG OLEDs. Using DPI scaling at 3440x1440 would not be an acceptable solution for me, not enough desktop space.

This year there's a lot of new categories like these 34" QD-OLEDs and the 42" LG but everything points to both of these having their own share of issues. I feel like next year these products will be way better, with probably more vendors for the same panels.

For me the QD-OLED pixel structure was a dealbreaker already so I'll be glad to wait for 4K options of these panels as DPI scaling can help mitigate those problems like it does on the LG OLEDs. Using DPI scaling at 3440x1440 would not be an acceptable solution for me, not enough desktop space.
Have you actually seen the thing for yourself? The subpixel structure arguement is so insanely overblown.

There is a reason almost no reviewers have mentioned it up to this point, aside from a clickbait German review deriding it as an absolute dealbreaker lol.

Unless you're used to 4K or 5K 27 inch panels, you probably won't see any issue with this one. If you are, then I guess the pixel density was never going to work for you anyway.

Have you actually seen the thing for yourself? The subpixel structure arguement is so insanely overblown.

There is a reason almost no reviewers have mentioned it up to this point, aside from a clickbait German review deriding it as an absolute dealbreaker lol.

Unless you're used to 4K or 5K 27 inch panels, you probably won't see any issue with this one. If you are, then I guess the pixel density was never going to work for you anyway.
Well, if some people say its unbearable, im on the side to believe them since i see problems where people often dont see a difference or is not bothered by it. For example when it comes to matte coated monitors, they are IMHO terrible for image quality. No top line TV is matte, so why the F would i pay big money for a screen that is technically very good, but is wrapped in shit smeared TP? Its insane, the monitor market is insane. I can never take someone seriously who doesnt think AG coating matters in terms of image quality. And i think a lot of reviewers are complete and utter ignoramus when it comes to the issue.

Then again i would need to see this QD-OLED to see if the pixel structure is a small or big issue. And even though this monitor seem glossy, im skeptical if has the same clean and vibrant presentation as my 22" Acer glossy monitor. Ive been through testing so many monitors with different types of AG coating and nothing with dirtyness is bearable. Even the supposed glossy Dell monitors with a weak dirty haze in it bothered me (that haze did nothing to reduce reflections, it only made the picture slightly dirty). My AQ3423DW comes in May, so i will report back then.

Scaling at 4K vs this won't make a difference - the PPI will still not be nearly high enough to hide the fringing. Too bad about this weird triangular pixel structure. It's a deal killer for me as well because I spend most of the time looking at text, not playing games or watching videos.

I don't have a problem with the text and I sit here coding 5-6 hours a day for work.

Compared to other 1440p, there's not much of a difference I feel. On LG IPS I can see slight color fringing on text too. The only situation where text is pretty much artifact free is a high pixel density display like 27-32" 4K or 5K UW. If my primary concern was text, and didn't game much, I'd probably get LG's 40" 5K UW.

I don't have a problem with the text and I sit here coding 5-6 hours a day for work.

Compared to other 1440p, there's not much of a difference I feel. On LG IPS I can see slight color fringing on text too. The only situation where text is pretty much artifact free is a high pixel density display like 27-32" 4K or 5K UW. If my primary concern was text, and didn't game much, I'd probably get LG's 40" 5K UW.

Right, there's some fringing on ClearType text even on IPS panels with an RGB structure, but it's all a matter of degree. You don't want the pixel structure to make things worse.

Also, fringing is a problem not just with ClearType text when you have this QD-OLED pixel structure. Even a simple line with no subpixel anti-aliasing would show it as seen in the article that was describing this problem.

Lol you guys are making it seem like the text is unuseable on this monitor. It may not be optimal or the best looking, but I'm sure you would be able to get by. I been using a WRGB OLED which is also known for less than stellar text for almost 2 years now and all my complaints about text quality vanished within the first month.

Text quality is more than fine on this display.

People will find anything to bitch about, meanwhile they use a pos cheap backlit display chock full of BLB, dogshit contrast ratios and other such horrendousness.

Text quality on the G9 Neo was not any better than this...in fact I prefer this one as LCD 1440pee is shit.

I could do work productivity on this if I had to but why....why waste oled goodness on that. Use a high refresh 32" 4k IPS for text and this for gaming. If money is an issue rob a couple old ladies or sell your ass on the street corner a few weekends like I did!

This display is epic.

Text is perfectly fine on this monitor.

8A754041-229B-4A8E-9F15-1DCFDBDACDE2.jpeg

79858C82-4BD7-4CAE-81A9-D43526B7D60D.jpeg

Last edited:
Back