Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

your images looks kinda washed out. Is that how you intended them to look or is that just your color profile for your setup and they look fine and contrasty on your setup?
View attachment 456810
Do you mean the images on the screen or the images posted in my post itself?

My colour grading in Lightroom ia custom preset for all images I edit/produce which gives a slightly faded/cinematicgrade. The version you have posted is far too contrasty and does not meet the preferred style/standard of my editing outputs.

Way too much what? It doesn't crush the top contrast steps like other monitors do when contrast is too high:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php
100 contrast does crush whites in the extreme end of the scale.

On this: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php with contrast set to above 80 for example you will see the lower squares are crushed out. Between 60 and 70 contrast they return to normal, exactly as should be if your display is set up correctly. 253 and 254 should still be visible, although difficult because they are basically 255/white, but still faintly visible.

they might want to see an unedited one to get a real "feel" for the image(through their different monitor...)

Do you mean the images on the screen or the images posted in my post itself?

My colour grading in Lightroom ia custom preset for all images I edit/produce which gives a slightly faded/cinematicgrade. The version you have posted is far too contrasty and does not meet the preferred style/standard of my editing outputs.
The images in your post.

100 contrast does crush whites in the extreme end of the scale.

On this: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php with contrast set to above 80 for example you will see the lower squares are crushed out. Between 60 and 70 contrast they return to normal, exactly as should be if your display is set up correctly. 253 and 254 should still be visible, although difficult because they are basically 255/white, but still faintly visible.

I can see them just fine at 100 contrast.

I can see them just fine at 100 contrast.
In HDR content there is definitely white crush at 100 contrast on mine. In fact, there seems to be some white crush even at the default 75. Look at the sign in the beginning of this video:

It's visible in HDR movies I've tested as well using madVR in MPC-BE. Maybe it's a factory calibration problem? I'm using the display with all default settings.

In HDR content there is definitely white crush at 100 contrast on mine. In fact, there seems to be some white crush even at the default 75. Look at the sign in the beginning of this video:

It's visible in HDR movies I've tested as well using madVR in MPC-BE. Maybe it's a factory calibration problem? I'm using the display with all default settings.

What's your screen brightness set to?

It could just be panel variance then. Really hard to say since we aren't looking at the same panel. What might be white crush to you might be great highlights to another =P

Is there no way to run a PS5 at higher resolution than 1080p on this?

It’s been confirmed the hdmi port won’t accept 4K and downscale the image like some monitors do.

I was thinking maybe an active hdmi to display port adapter, so PS5 sends 4K to the display port and the image being downscaled on the monitor? Or is that not possible?

Can you send the displayport a 4K image?

Is there no way to run a PS5 at higher resolution than 1080p on this?

It’s been confirmed the hdmi port won’t accept 4K and downscale the image like some monitors do.

I was thinking maybe an active hdmi to display port adapter, so PS5 sends 4K to the display port and the image being downscaled on the monitor? Or is that not possible?

Can you send the displayport a 4K image?
This is not a 4K display and it has no scaler built in. The highest 16:9 resolution supported is 2560x1440.

hows the fan noise from the fpga module?
I really don't understand why it is included in the first place since OLED doesn't need overdrive anyway

I really don't understand why it is included in the first place since OLED doesn't need overdrive anyway
I've yet to hear it, though I do wear headphones (open backed Sennheisers, but still), pretty much all the time. Had the monitor about 2 weeks now.

Also, the rumor is the Gsync module is there for better gamma control with VRR enabled, and this thing doesn't have raised black issues, even at FPS as low as 50 with Gsync enabled, unlike the LG OLED's, so there may be some truth to that.

Here's the patent driving said rumor: https://patents.google.com/patent/US10147370B2/en

I've yet to hear it, though I do wear headphones (open backed Sennheisers, but still), pretty much all the time. Had the monitor about 2 weeks now.

Also, the rumor is the Gsync module is there for better gamma control with VRR enabled, and this thing doesn't have raised black issues, even at FPS as low as 50 with Gsync enabled, unlike the LG OLED's, so there may be some truth to that.

Here's the patent driving said rumor: https://patents.google.com/patent/US10147370B2/en
thanks for the info, thats reassuring to hear (especially using HD650s haha)

No problem.
Nice cans btw. Using HD598SR's myself. Was contemplating some 6XX's/650's but these still have a lot of life left in them.

It's minimal. Once in a while it'll make an odd "Huffing/Puffing" sound like it's out of breath lmao.

I heard something similar the second day I had the monitor, it did it for hours. Thought it was something outside or one of my case fans dying. It's weird because I wasn't playing any games and I had the screen brightness very low at the time.
I haven't heard it since, even though I'm now using HDR. Even after several hours of gaming, nothing. The plastic creaking and cracking constantly is really starting to get annoying though.

I have been debating between this and a 38" ultrawide (I am on a 30" 16:10 screen for the past 10 years) and I think I am going to get this. I know I will be giving up vertical space but I don't think I will miss that (my monitor sits on a recording desk so it is already high up to look at that extra vertical space).

I do play games and watch movies but 8 hours a day I am coding. I hear that text quality is subjective on this but as long as it is better than my current screen (HP ZR30w) I will be happy.

Last edited:
Even after several hours of gaming, nothing. The plastic creaking and cracking constantly is really starting to get annoying though.
So far no creaking/cracking audible to me.
I hear that text quality is subjective on this put as long as it is better than my current screen (HP ZR30w) I will be happy.
Definitely subjective and IMO overblown issue. The pros this monitor has compared to the con is so skewed. Monitors are a game of compromise and this monitor is the least compromising monitor I've ever purchased/used.

So far no creaking/cracking audible to me.

Definitely subjective and IMO overblown issue. The pros this monitor has compared to the con is so skewed. Monitors are a game of compromise and this monitor is the least compromising monitor I've ever purchased/used.
My desk is in my bedroom and it made such a loud cracking noise last night after turning it off that it actually woke me up. It's insane. I have a new inverter window AC coming tomorrow, I wonder if having a more consistent room temperature will help.

My desk is in my bedroom and it made such a loud cracking noise last night after turning it off that it actually woke me up. It's insane. I have a new inverter window AC coming tomorrow, I wonder if having a more consistent room temperature will help.
I had a 27" Dell monitor years ago that would do the same thing and scare the shit out of me. It's definitely caused by the heating and cooling of the chassis.

I have been debating between this and a 38" ultrawide (I am on a 30" 16:10 screen for the past 10 years) and I think I am going to get this. I know I will be giving up vertical space but I don't think I will miss that (my monitor sits on a recording desk so it is already high up to look at that extra vertical space).

I do play games and watch movies but 8 hours a day I am coding. I hear that text quality is subjective on this but as long as it is better than my current screen (HP ZR30w) I will be happy.
I switched from the AW3821DW. I sit fairly close to my monitor and the 38 was a tad too big for my preference. They will likely release a 38 version at some point though.

I switched from the AW3821DW. I sit fairly close to my monitor and the 38 was a tad too big for my preference. They will likely release a 38 version at some point though.
That was the other monitor I was considering, glad to hear that it might be a tad to big sitting close to it. I sit about 3 feet away from my monitor and I do have to look up to see the top part of the monitor. As much as I hate to say it I probably would do better with the 34".

That was the other monitor I was considering, glad to hear that it might be a tad to big sitting close to it. I sit about 3 feet away from my monitor and I do have to look up to see the top part of the monitor. As much as I hate to say it I probably would do better with the 34".
I don't think there's anything else in the monitor segment to even consider if you can afford/wait for this. It literally does everything except BFI/strobing. The only other option IMO is a 42" OLED if you want size. The dark scene performance of LCD, especially IPS, is just so incredibly awful that it overshadows any other spec advantages it may have.
OLED is also the only currently available display tech that can do proper HDR. It may not be as bright as an LCD, but LCD dimming zones are still so gigantic by comparison that they fall apart in complex scenes with lots of tiny, individual highlights. Big difference there. This monitor is it, and that's not going to change for a while.

Not audible during gaming or movie watching etc but when just using the PC it is audible if your PC is like mine and is virtually silent. It's like am ambient hum but every now and then the fan will ramp up and down of its own accord.
Here's a video:

(volume up)

I've now reran calibration after reducing the nvidia digital vibrance in nvidia's control panel. the default is 50 so I reduced it to 44 and re-profiled in DisplayCAL. The "Samsung punch" to primary colours has now been neutralised and the overall feel of the output to my eyes resembles the perfect calibrations I had with the old hardware LUT monitor, the LG 34UM95-P, just now with perfect black levels because #OLED.

I am in full agreement there. I the LG mentioned above was 60Hz but a really good one for accurate colours. I had that since 2014 and even got a free Huawei MateView GT which is a VA panel but 165Hz, HDR, FreeSYnc and I still preferred the 60Hz LG for picture quality.

Now though with this, there's no going back to any 60Hz display.

How is the SDR brightness in a bright room during the day? 250 nits seems a little low, but does the increased contrast help in practice?

How is the SDR brightness in a bright room during the day? 250 nits seems a little low, but does the increased contrast help in practice?
I'm at 33 brightness, 57 contrast in SDR all day for work. On my PC I run in Auto HDR mode, 57 contrast on monitor, 33 SDR brightness (windows setting) and 70 contrast in Nvidia desktop color). My eyes are more sensitive to brightness, but these settings are ideal for me in a bright room - window is behind monitor though about 10 feet away.

I can't say with this particular monitor, but at work I have my monitor running at about 170 nits in a lit office. You don't need as much brightness as you think, unless it gets REAL bright like outdoors. You don't actually want your monitor searing your eyes out for general work.

The pixel shift is very noticeable during the day when I'm using this for work. Feels like it happens multiple times per hour.

I wonder if it's a fixed time interval or if it's based on screen content. Out of an abundance of paranoia I am using a black wallpaper, no desktop icons, hidden Taskbar, dark mode everything, and I move windows around if they've been open for a long time

The pixel shift is very noticeable during the day when I'm using this for work. Feels like it happens multiple times per hour.

I wonder if it's a fixed time interval or if it's based on screen content. Out of an abundance of paranoia I am using a black wallpaper, no desktop icons, hidden Taskbar, dark mode everything, and I move windows around if they've been open for a long time
I've never seen it do that. does it shift the screen in different directions each time?
I have mine set to do a pixel refresh each time the monitor is turned off. not sure if it does it automatically by default but I selected it to do it automatically and not to pop up the window anymore.

IMG_1978.JPEG

I've never seen it do that. does it shift the screen in different directions each time?
I have mine set to do a pixel refresh each time the monitor is turned off. not sure if it does it automatically by default but I selected it to do it automatically and not to pop up the window anymore.

View attachment 457129

It does seem to be random but it's hard to tell since it's only a few pixels at a time.

I also have it set to do the pixel refresh whenever it thinks it needs to

Back