Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Does anyone know the best way to calibrate the screen just with the OSD without any special tools? Or will I just need to wait for an ICC profile to become available?

Neither. You can adjust it by eye if you want, but you are subject to your eye's interpretation.

You can't use someone else's ICC profile since each display is unique.

The only way to calibrate a display is with a calibration meter unless you are happy with doing it by eye.

42" is too large though, no room for speakers on my corner desk.
Well, please recall I wrote it would be "perfect for me" not necessarily you.
LG also released those 42" C2 OLEDs, if you can take that size.
Not really as interested as using a TV as a monitor, depending on any computer or "gaming" features the ASUS may have over the LG with the same panel (i.e. DP on the ASUS).

42" OLED is 10cm wider than this monitor. If 10cm is enough to make or break a display on your desk, get a new desk/house.

Also bear in mind that the 42" OLED can do 16:9 4K, but it can also do 21:9 like the Alienware QD-OLED as well. The Alienware's major selling point is 175hz.

The last point is that on the OLED, if you run it at a 21:9 resolution, it will create black bars above and below the picture. In my experience, this helps to mitigate the ABL issues normally seen on these displays.

Question for those of you with the monitor: does it do g-sync with a regular 1440p signal (with black bars on the sides) or does g-sync only work in the full ultrawide resolution?

Yeah biggest advantage is 175hz + Gsync module. The problem is most will opt for 144hz so the gain in refresh rate over 120hz is pretty inconsequential.

Beyond this you get to say goodbye to VRR raised gamma but it's personally not a problem for me or anyone I know using the TV's.

On another note, my $980 discount order was cancelled but my friend got his which makes 0 sense. The monitor basically looks/performs as you'd expect for OLED but I'm no longer FOMO'ing over it after seeing 1440p again which is just gross.

Question for those of you with the monitor: does it do g-sync with a regular 1440p signal (with black bars on the sides) or does g-sync only work in the full ultrawide resolution?

Well if scaling is off, isn't a 2560x1440 resolution really just still inside a 3440x1440 container with black bars on the sides?

Yeah biggest advantage is 175hz + Gsync module. The problem is most will opt for 144hz so the gain in refresh rate over 120hz is pretty inconsequential.

Beyond this you get to say goodbye to VRR raised gamma but it's personally not a problem for me or anyone I know using the TV's.

On another note, my $980 discount order was cancelled but my friend got his which makes 0 sense. The monitor basically looks/performs as you'd expect for OLED but I'm no longer FOMO'ing over it after seeing 1440p again which is just gross.
Biggest advantage is you only need an HDMI 2.0 compatible GPU for the Alienware. To get more than 60Hz on the LG you need a 3000 series card.

The monitor basically looks/performs as you'd expect for OLED but I'm no longer FOMO'ing over it after seeing 1440p again which is just gross.
That's what worries me. I'm very use to 4k 144hz gaming , the sharpness and clearness is so good. I tried to play on a 1080p 360hz monitor and it just sucked, no detail and it just looked like a blurry mess.

Middle of June estimated ship date? Come on Dell!
Nothing they can do. Supply chains are still snarled up, and getting more snarled because of the new COVID outbreak in China and the war in Ukraine. Combine that with high demand and it just takes time for them to get. They can just magically make more of them faster, they would if they could. Companies like money, they don't make you wait to be dicks, they do it because they are out of the thing.

nice monitor but I think 34" is too big for a desk...27" is the ideal size for me...and I'm not a fan of curved monitors...I think the Asus ROG Swift displays are still better overall (even though they are not OLED)

Nothing they can do. Supply chains are still snarled up, and getting more snarled because of the new COVID outbreak in China and the war in Ukraine. Combine that with high demand and it just takes time for them to get. They can just magically make more of them faster, they would if they could. Companies like money, they don't make you wait to be dicks, they do it because they are out of the thing.
All because they ran out of stands :dead:

I don't think 1440pee looks that bad on it at all. This is basically the only 1440pee display I like. The shitty NEO experience almost caused me to pass on this one.

Soo if you guys remember, I asked Dell support if they could apply my 10% email code to my order and they said they were going to credit my card for it; it was supposed to be for $141.55, but I have two adjustments totaling -$221.88 on my card O_O one is "DMI* DELL CORP BUS" which is the same as the monitor charge, and the other is "Offer:/Dell (Business)", not really sure what the second one is but I'll take it I guess?

Definitely recommend asking support to do this if you have a code.

EDIT: The "Offer:/Dell (Business)" was the 5% cash back from my Chase CC, just delivered in a different way than normal.

Last edited:
Soo if you guys remember, I asked Dell support if they could apply my 10% email code to my order and they said they were going to credit my card for it; it was supposed to be for $141.55, but I have two adjustments totaling -$221.88 on my card O_O one is "DMI* DELL CORP BUS" which is the same as the monitor charge, and the other is "Offer:/Dell (Business)", not really sure what the second one is but I'll take it I guess?

score!

First “Real” review out so far IMO

First decent one yea, somehow missed the sRGB option in the creator mode in SDR though, didn't mention the warranty once when talking about burn in, and doesn't seem to have looked into the pixel refresher at all (judging by what they said about it and the fact they never disabled the popup).

Not the worst, but could have been a good bit better.

First decent one yea, somehow missed the sRGB option in the creator mode in SDR though, didn't mention the warranty once when talking about burn in, and doesn't seem to have looked into the pixel refresher at all (judging by what they said about it and the fact they never disabled the popup).

I mean the real useful information was finally some latency testing. Presuming it is right there shouldn't be any real problem with dark ghosting because while 5ms isn't as fast as all the other transitions, it is still extremely low, as low as what you see for fast LCDs. Also the total input lag looks good, not the very lowest but around what you see for most gaming monitors.

I mean the real useful information was finally some latency testing. Presuming it is right there shouldn't be any real problem with dark ghosting because while 5ms isn't as fast as all the other transitions, it is still extremely low, as low as what you see for fast LCDs. Also the total input lag looks good, not the very lowest but around what you see for most gaming monitors.
Yea, I've not seen any ghosting at all with the week or so I've had it, and I've played a fair few games with pure black scenes (MW19 being one).

That's what worries me. I'm very use to 4k 144hz gaming , the sharpness and clearness is so good. I tried to play on a 1080p 360hz monitor and it just sucked, no detail and it just looked like a blurry mess.
1440p is the new 1080p. Going down to it from 4K is no different than going from an OLED to LCD to me. With this things success there is bound to be a 4K version in the pipeline.

1440p is the new 1080p. Going down to it from 4K is no different than going from an OLED to LCD to me. With this things success there is bound to be a 4K version in the pipeline.

Normally I would agree with that...Hell, I am usually the first to troll new 1440pee monitor threads and ridicule the povertyness of the "NOT 4K" clarity....but this bitch is different....really a fantastic gaming display and I think an important milestone because its the first "affordable" gaming display that does not have the picture quality of warm dogshit!

I don't think you gave your buddies unit enough testing time. HDR in Horizon Zero, Halo Infinite, MW19, MSFS2020 are balls swelling AMAZE on this thing! The liquid smooth picture clarity of Cars2 and Halo MCC are to die for. $980 and I have a display that I can't take my eyes off of. I have not gamed on my PG32UQX since picking this up!

Also no nudity AND not frothing at the mouth over what this monitor actually means for the hobby. It means that this is a turning point where people are going to STOP supporting SHITASTIC LCD technology and demanding more variants of OLED-QD!

As much as I question a curved UW 1440p display (Is the market really that much better for this than regular 16:9 displays? Or, did the mother glass issue just made the economics that much better even with it being a 34" UW? Oh well.), I'm pretty excited that this actually came out to the PC display space first. I can't even remember the last time when PC monitors got stuff before the TV/mobile market, outside of the professional/ultra-high end spaces. Amazing. Finally, some serious progress in the monitor space aside from just pushing ultra high refresh rates.

The irony is that with QD-OLED, my first purchase of this will probably be the Sony A95K since I don't care for curved, 1440p or UWs. But hearing how good this Alienware monitor is makes me really excited to replace my LCD TV at least.

Even before getting the Alienware, I preferred gaming on my several year old 1440p ultrawide IPS over my 4k oled because my pretty high end pc can't drive most modern games over 100 fps at 4k. Consistent high framerate matters way more to me.

That might change soon though if the rumors about next gen gpus are true

Even before getting the Alienware, I preferred gaming on my several year old 1440p ultrawide IPS over my 4k oled because my pretty high end pc can't drive most modern games over 100 fps at 4k. Consistent high framerate matters way more to me.

That might change soon though if the rumors about next gen gpus are true
Or if you lower a few invisible in motion settings that cause a huge perf hit on max in most games... 4k is too good to give up for resolution I had in 2008. I've been on 4k since 2014.

Or if you lower a few invisible in motion settings that cause a huge perf hit on max in most games... 4k is too good to give up for resolution I had in 2008. I've been on 4k since 2014.
I just played some games on my PG32UQX which is right next to the AW34 on my desk...and both offer totally different incomparable experiences. I like both displays and need both because neither offers everything I need lol.

The HDR on the PG32 gets so eye searing bright I love it....but the HDR on the AW34 seems more 3Dish due to the infinite contrast of oled. Both are delicious.

The motion clarity of the AW34 destroys the PG32, but the PG32 is 4k.....but here I prefer the motion clarity of the AW34, because PG32 4k turns into NO-K under heavy motion while the AW34s keeps its shit together nicely.

For web surfing and work productivity the PG32 destroys the AW34.

I like the Ultra Wide aspect in FPS, racing and flight sims.

I like both...the only difference is the AW34 cost 1/3 the price and did not require me to drive 1000 miles round trip to GA lol.

Did you call, e-mail, or chat when you did that?

I honestly can't even tell the difference from 1440 and 4k. So I take refresh rate over resolution.

I honestly can't even tell the difference from 1440 and 4k. So I take refresh rate over resolution.
I have a 4K 32 inch IPS on my desk (32UD99W), next to the AW3423DW and my old main monitor, the PG279Q...and while I can see the difference, it is not huge. Nothing like coming from 1080p to 1440p. It does help more with games that have piss poor AA, but games with good AA aren't that big of a difference and I would also prefer the framerate over the resolution. Though a big part of this might just be the similar PPI of all these panels, which is an important point to consider that many gloss over imo.

No way...1440pee on LCDs looks like crap! It's always got that blurry slightly out of focus covered in Vaseline feel.

The AW34 is the first 1440pee display that does not have that effect. It's picture quality is remarkably sharp!

The AW34 is the first 1440pee display that does not have that effect. It's picture quality is remarkably sharp!
Might it be because of its glossy screen? I remember apple’s 27in 1440p Cinema Displays being very sharp at the time.

Might it be because of its glossy screen? I remember apple’s 27in 1440p Cinema Displays being very sharp at the time.
It could be..I remember back during the catleap time...2011-2012ish...having a 60hz glossy screen 1440pee Korean....forget the brand....but it's image quality was awesome....I think it was using B quality apple panels.

The glossyness and oled image quality definitely help. But the aw34 is not as annoying glossy reflective as the LG oled TV imho

Man, it feels like Apple goes out of their way to make using non apple peripherals a hassle.

The os doesn't seem to pick up the monitor as hdr. You also have to trick the OS with dummy hidpi displays to make text rendering somewhat OK, but that seems to limit the monitor to 60hz.

I was getting some intermittent elevated black levels on the desktop for no apparent reason as well.

Way different than windows where it just worked properly right away
Welcome to the shitshow that is MacOS external display handling. I swear they don't test it with anything except their own displays.

Back