Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Do you see a difference between 144Hz 10 bit and 175Hz 8bit as far as HDR and high refresh rate content is concerned ?

D65 doesn't look like D65 as expected. It's too cyan instead of too pink like WRGB OLED at D65.
The coordinate I ended up at matching a D65 LCD non WCG is x 0.318 y 0.317. Sounds weird to me as well but that's as close as I could get it.

The controls on this monitor are very limited. You only get white control in custom mode which is forced P3. Game mode is the only one that has primary/secondary color controls. Creative is the only one with gamma controls and let's you switch to sRGB mode. Gamma is a smile face shape and at 2.6 measures and average of 2.3.
ICC profile is basically a requirement.

Are there going to be any 38” OLED screens coming out this year? I would jump on this screen but I currently am using a 30” 16:10 screen and cannot give up 2.5” of vertical space.
No. This is going to be it for a while.
Do you see a difference between 144Hz 10 bit and 175Hz 8bit as far as HDR and high refresh rate content is concerned ?
I haven't noticed any banding at 175 Hz 8 bit in HDR games, while I definitely notice the difference between 144 and 175.

I'm tempted to flick my LG 38 for this. I love the extra real estate, but I've been drooling over an OLED as my main display for a while..

Problem is I'll take an absolute bath on my LG. Decisions..

Last edited:
I'm tempted to flick my LG 38 for this. I love the extra real estate, but I've been drooling over an OLED as my main display for a while..

Problem is I'll take an absolute bath on my LG. Decisions..
Buy Once… a year

Cry Once… a year

OK so the one and only annoying thing with this display.

After it has been off for a while....say I go out for some lunch and a rub n tug and come back a couple hours later, I go to turn my pc on and the pc boots up but the monitor does not wake....I end up having to unplug it and then replug it in....pretty annoying. It only does this when the bottom right light indicator is completely OFF.

Anybody else having this issue...am I missing a step. I would hate to cut my massages short and miss the happy ending!

After it has been off for a while....say I go out for some lunch and a rub n tug and come back a couple hours later, I go to turn my pc on and the pc boots up but the monitor does not wake....I end up having to unplug it and then replug it in....pretty annoying. It only does this when the bottom right light indicator is completely OFF.

Anybody else having this issue...am I missing a step. I would hate to cut my massages short and miss the happy ending!
Did you use it for more than four hours before it went standby and then you find it off later?

Couple reports on Reddit indicate after pixel refresh runs in standby it powers off completely requiring pressing the power button. While fine for a TV seems pretty stupid on a monitor to turn it off completely afterwards when already in standby.

The status LED housing is the power button. The monitor turns off by default after a certain amount of time with ECO mode on. You just have to turn it back on.

The status indicator LED housing is the power button.
I'm assuming that would be the button that glows the colors on the bottom right....rofl....you learn something new every day!

But what the hell, why not just wake up on boot like a proper monitor should.

much much smaller as well, of course

Any LG Oled from C9 and up is great for gaming....and their 42" is certainly interesting @ 144hz.

I'm not overly a big fan of ultra wide monitors and loath 1440pee....so for me to be hornswaggled gobsmacked by this AW34 is a pretty big deal.

If anyone cares about accuracy and can fit the 42 C2, you should wait for that.

Any LG Oled from C9 and up is great for gaming....and their 42" is certainly interesting @ 144hz.

I'm not overly a big fan of ultra wide monitors and loath 1440pee....so for me to be hornswaggled gobsmacked by this AW34 is a pretty big deal.
i'm not arguing with you.. i'm just stating it's one of the things to consider as the person asked what some of the differences between a current LG oled TV and the AW are.

I'm assuming that would be the button that glows the colors on the bottom right....rofl....you learn something new every day!

lol, you didn't know that that was the power button?
I power mine off since the PC runs 24/7 so haven't experienced the wake up issue you are having.

It will if you turn ECO mode off.

Since these are Samsung panels and the largest 21:9 display they have ever produced is 34", I think we only see a 38" version once LG gets in the market, easily using their 42" panels for this. I would expect to see a 49" 32:9 from Samsung by next year though I have no interest in that res...and yes the 38" are technically 24:10 not 21:9 but that's splitting hairs.

Are there going to be any 38” OLED screens coming out this year? I would jump on this screen but I currently am using a 30” 16:10 screen and cannot give up 2.5” of vertical space.
No. LG is the only panel manufacturer making 38" glass, its a form factor that has yet to catch on with any of the other panel makers (for some reason, I dont know why... its literally my favorite form factor)

I am seriously getting myself worked up trying to decide between the LG 42" C2 and this alienware. I dont know what to do.

No. LG is the only panel manufacturer making 38" glass, its a form factor that has yet to catch on with any of the other panel makers (for some reason, I dont know why... its literally my favorite form factor)
My buddy wants to get this monitor but it's been stuck around $2k since launch and he doesn't really want to pay that much,

1647231446669.png

The next Alienware OLED should be this size and res I think.

Didnt realize its was this glossy

I can't see a point in buying an OLED display and giving it a fuzzy, hazy coating that fogs up the blacks.

When you buy an OLED, you sacrifice brightness so you can experience deep blacks.

Why would you want to add a hazy matte coating over that? Reflections in a bright room? OLED brightness would be terrible for that. Buy yourself a nice HDR LCD if you're in a bright room. Not like you'll need the deep blacks if you're in an area where light pollution is an issue, and OLED brightness would probably make it look worse in such an environment.

lol, you didn't know that that was the power button?
I power mine off since the PC runs 24/7 so haven't experienced the wake up issue you are having.
Nope! I also didn't know you could turn the glowy power button light off either....it was annoying me having that on in dark games.... Distracting...pretty cool that it gives you the option of not only having it off or on....but what color you want it....like all the crazy lighting on this thing...but you know im lame....I turn it all off haha

Personally, I like this feature because the only times my monitor has enough time to go to sleep long enough to turn off is when I won't be back for an extended period of time, and Windows/random programs have a tendency to wake my monitors up and sometimes keep them awake. This should prevent hours of fully static content being displayed while I'm not around, which is nice, because even if I'm not terribly worried about burn in with the warranty, I'd rather not basically waste some of the monitors lifespan on literally nothing.

Nope! I also didn't know you could turn the glowy power button light off either....it was annoying me having that on in dark games.... Distracting...pretty cool that it gives you the option of not only having it off or on....but what color you want it....like all the crazy lighting on this thing...but you know im lame....I turn it all off haha
Another neat thing I noticed about the lighting personally; you can leave the 'downlight' enabled, and then simply touch the underside of the monitor under the ALIENWARE logo and it'll toggle it off and on. Not terribly useful, but kinda cool anyway.

Personally, I like this feature because the only times my monitor has enough time to go to sleep long enough to turn off is when I won't be back for an extended period of time, and Windows/random programs have a tendency to wake my monitors up and sometimes keep them awake. This should prevent hours of fully static content being displayed while I'm not around, which is nice, because even if I'm not terribly worried about burn in with the warranty, I'd rather not basically waste some of the monitors lifespan on literally nothing.
Yea makes sense given the nature of the OLED. You dont want your computer kicking on when your away and it sitting on a static screen for a day and a half!

I just played some Halo Infinite multiplayer @ HDR400 True Black.....typically I am ho hum on that game as I prefer old skool MCC with Reach & H3 matches....but DAMN DAMN DAMN this monitor makes halo infinite look EPIC.

Im still blown away that Im blown away by a 1440pee display lol. This thing is that damn good!

Since these are Samsung panels and the largest 21:9 display they have ever produced is 34", I think we only see a 38" version once LG gets in the market, easily using their 42" panels for this. I would expect to see a 49" 32:9 from Samsung by next year though I have no interest in that res...and yes the 38" are technically 24:10 not 21:9 but that's splitting hairs.
Or you could simply use the new ultrawide aspect ratio options the C2 series will offer. While it's not quite the same thing as having an actual ultrawide aspect ratio model, it will work well thanks to OLED's perfect blacks when off. The lack of a curve is more of an issue though in that use which is why I don't use custom resolution 3840x1600 that much on my CX 48". Maybe it's more palatable at the smaller size.

I am seriously getting myself worked up trying to decide between the LG 42" C2 and this alienware. I dont know what to do.
I think it really depends on your use case.

Alienware QD-oled: I would argue this is the superior monitor for competitive FPS as long as you're not streaming. Ultrawide is a pain for streamers. The extra 55hz refresh rate is actually a huge benefit and since you'll be playing games with potato graphics 175 fps shouldn't be that difficult provided you have a 3080 or better. Warzone is still CPU limited at 1440p. Apex Legends should run 175+ fps quite easily. This monitor has a qsync ultimate module which is nice because it has a slightly lower average input lag than freesync. The smaller size will typically be seen as a benefit for competitive FPS, to put this in perspective, I sit 18 inches from a 27 inch 1080p 280hz display and typically lean in while playing BR games. That being said, I would argue have a larger display and just placing it further away is an appropriate alternative. The more accurate colors, easier to read text and dedicated monitor features are nice. It also has a 3 year burn in warranty which is a plus.

42 inch C2: If you play non-competitive games, this is a strong option. Higher resolution, lots more TV features, etc. The 120hz refresh rate is too low for competitive FPS IMHO.

Interesting. I'd be curious as to your reason for suggesting the LG over the Alienware.

For the LG:

- 16:9 instead of 21:9
- Higher resolution (UHD)
- Dolby Vision
- BFI
- Bigger Screen
- better for consoles
- things like eARC
- integrated Streaming Apps with 24p support
- Tuner
- much more options to individualise screen settings to own gusto
- quick Switch for best Movie and Gaming settings
- better if you want to calibrate
- Apps like GeForce Now/Stadia
- overall more flexibility in the use
- you can deactivate things linke ASBL
- very frequent FW Updates
- 4x HDMI 2.1 with 48Gbps

Last edited:
For the LG:

- Dolby Vision
- Bigger Screen
- better for consoles
- things like eARC
- Tuner
Think I’ll hold on to my CX for a bit longer. 😁

Concur with what everyone below has provided and add "BFI" for those who want clarity above all else. Seems like C1 may be "better' if you want BFI at 60 and 120, the C2 looks to have omitted 120 for the C2 variants.

I think it really depends on your use case.

Alienware QD-oled: I would argue this is the superior monitor for competitive FPS as long as you're not streaming. Ultrawide is a pain for streamers. The extra 55hz refresh rate is actually a huge benefit and since you'll be playing games with potato graphics 175 fps shouldn't be that difficult provided you have a 3080 or better. Warzone is still CPU limited at 1440p. Apex Legends should run 175+ fps quite easily. This monitor has a qsync ultimate module which is nice because it has a slightly lower average input lag than freesync. The smaller size will typically be seen as a benefit for competitive FPS, to put this in perspective, I sit 18 inches from a 27 inch 1080p 280hz display and typically lean in while playing BR games. That being said, I would argue have a larger display and just placing it further away is an appropriate alternative. The more accurate colors, easier to read text and dedicated monitor features are nice. It also has a 3 year burn in warranty which is a plus.

42 inch C2: If you play non-competitive games, this is a strong option. Higher resolution, lots more TV features, etc. The 120hz refresh rate is too low for competitive FPS IMHO.
For the LG:

- Dolby Vision
- Bigger Screen
- better for consoles
- things like eARC
- Tuner
- quick Switch for best Movie and Gaming settings

For the LG:

- Dolby Vision
- Bigger Screen
- better for consoles
- things like eARC
- Tuner
I think the real reason Cecil is leaning LG is because it offers better calibration options for absolute color accuracy, that said, if you aren't as hardline on that, the AW offers a LOT as well;
- 21:9 without the risk of unevenly wearing half of your display
- higher refresh rate
- proper Gsync module
- NO VRR gamma / raised black / flickering black issues when dropping below 120hz (this ruins VRR for many since you essentially lose OLED blacks and/or get distracting 'flickers' as it comes in and out of black)
- brighter full screen brightness, so less obvious ABL as you do day to day tasks on the desktop
- essentially perfect near black handling with no black crush due to QD OLED's inherent advantages
- no need to deactivate ASBL since it seems to not have it in the first place
- higher HDR peak brightness
- much better color saturation in HDR
- noticeably better viewing angles (though this is of limited utility tbf)
- essentially no off axis color cast/tint, which is a bit more impactful than general viewing angle imo
- less chance of burn in and likely longer lifespan in general due to the panel construction of QD OLED vs WOLED (3 layers of blue OLED material for emission, sharing the load, less sub pixels to track for refreshing, and real time pixel level adjustment to avoid burn in)
- 3 year warranty that specifically includes burn in

Unless you're using an LG OLED as a side panel for just video/game content, and therefore won't be hosting much static content on it, or you're okay with likely replacing it much sooner than the AW, then the AW just seems like the no brainer option for a desktop user.

And that's why I went with it tbh. I still have my LG OLED for TV use and console gaming however, though that might go in favor of the A95K soon :p

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Soulshot96
Tell me more about this?
- NO VRR gamma / raised black / flickering black issues when dropping below 120hz (this ruins VRR for many since you essentially lose OLED blacks and/or get distracting 'flickers' as it comes in and out of black)

Soulshot96
Tell me more about this?
LG OLED panels have inherent issues with near black handling when the refresh rate dips below 120hz due to the panels gamma response being optimized around that refresh rate. It's a panel level issue that has affected the 9, X, 1 and almost certainly the new 2 series sets.

HDTV Test has made many a video on the issue, here's one including the statement/explanation from LG:

They do have a mitigation, but it's entirely manual and would have to be adjusted on a per game basis depending on how the game runs, and even in the best case doesn't really fix the flicker and can cause more black crush iirc.
AW just...works.

Back