Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Mine still says it's supposed to ship today. I ordered yesterday morning with Dell newsletter 10% off code. At this point I'll believe it when I see it :)
If you have UPS or FedEX account set-up, may want to check if anything has been generated from "Dell CEVA". The website and e-mail notifications are about 2 years behind with Dell

If you have UPS or FedEX account set-up, may want to check if anything has been generated from "Dell CEVA". The website and e-mail notifications are about 2 years behind with Dell

Oh I've been periodically checking both apps. No label as of yet.

Reselling monitors is a whole lot harder than other electronics, bad pixel, uniformity issue? Bam, Item Not As Described, now pay to haul that 40 lb box back 😉
Clearly an opportunity to offer them tested and verified for quality and slap an extra surcharge on. ;)

Mine (in Canada) is also still supposed to ship today. I'll believe it when I get the notification lol. Half expecting Dell to put me through 2 months of delay notices at this point.

How does this do with the Lagom monitor test page? Especially the black level and contrast test on this page. What's the lowest numbered box you can still see? When you move this page around, do you see black smearing or bright ghosting on the borders of the boxes?
I can see all the boxes, and there is no smearing on this panel whatsoever. This is not a mobile OLED panel though, so I didn't expect any.

I can hear the fan in mine ramping up and then immediately cutting off, for seemingly no reason. It's doing it over and over, even with almost all black on screen, and I'm not playing a game. D:

Edit: When I started doing stuff it stopped, just viewing websites and writing emails. Possible firmware bug?

I can see all the boxes, and there is no smearing on this panel whatsoever. This is not a mobile OLED panel though, so I didn't expect any.
Awesome. Thanks for checking. Yeah, Samsung's mobile (phone and laptop) OLEDs black smear like crazy on that page and crush the bottom 2-3% of the grayscale to black. LG OLEDs tend to overshoot/flash.

What gamma preset are you running in the monitor menus?

Awesome. Thanks for checking. Yeah, Samsung's mobile (phone and laptop) OLEDs black smear like crazy on that page and crush the bottom 2-3% of the grayscale to black. LG OLEDs tend to overshoot/flash.

What gamma preset are you running in the monitor menus?
Whatever the default for the custom color HDR mode is :p

I'm so tempted to order this monitor after trying several IPS models that absolutely suck. Hmm...

I'm so tempted to order this monitor after trying several IPS models that absolutely suck. Hmm...
Well most people are saying they wont get theirs till June now, so if you want it soonish then order now. ordered mine yesterday morning, and it wont ship till late April.

Really hard to say about availability now. This is basically the "3080" of monitors as in what everyone wants until the 42" OLED comes out sometime in April/May which may lower demand. Considering this hasn't event really released globally yet. USA, China, Australia currently I think at the moment.

Mine (in Canada) is also still supposed to ship today. I'll believe it when I get the notification lol. Half expecting Dell to put me through 2 months of delay notices at this point.
Still no shipping notice for me. I ordered on the 4th and I agree, Dell will shaft Canadians.

Whatever the default for the custom color HDR mode is :p

Oh, in that case gamma would only be available for SDR. Typically in the 2.2 - 2.4 range to properly view that SDR test pattern.

Maybe someone running desktop in SDR mode can check the same pattern? Link.

This is an incredible monitor and I am a 4k resolution slut bag!
I have a 32" 4k 144hz gigabyte m32u, and also in love the the sharpness and clearness of 4k gaming. Don't want to down grade to 1440p, but you saying that the AW3423DW is so good I won't be missing the 4k goodness?

I have a 32" 4k 144hz gigabyte m32u, and also in love the the sharpness and clearness of 4k gaming. Don't want to down grade to 1440p, but you saying that the AW3423DW is so good I won't be missing the 4k goodness?

They are two different experiences. I'm still keeping my pg32uqx.

Oh, in that case gamma would only be available for SDR. Typically in the 2.2 - 2.4 range to properly view that SDR test pattern.

Maybe someone running desktop in SDR mode can check the same pattern? Link.
Turning on windows HDR mode results in pretty accurate color mapping for this based on my eyeballing vs my pro grade NEC sRGB monitor. Yes the white point is a tad green but OLED and LCDs rarely match exactly. Plus the simplest option for most users that need dynamic HDR/SDR switching.

Mine arrived yesterday. Out of town right now, won't get to play with it until Monday. Excited though!

OK some more testing:

I've played some BF2042.....lol have not played that pos in months, but its got great HDR to test.

Then I played some Halo MCC as that always maxes FPS with ease and has nice HDR as well.

Dang, this AW34 is FANTASTIC! Which is big of me to say as I loath 1440peee, but hot damn this display is impressive! It beats the living shit out of the G9 Neo AND the 38GL950G-B!

Blacks are super impressive, colors are excellent, motion clarity is great, HDR is outstanding!

HDR is not as eye searing as the PeeGeez32, but you have the benefit of zero haloing and infinite contrast...overall I would have to say this is the #1 HDR monitor right now, but the PG32 does have its moments. But yea, this bad boy makes the G9 Neo HDR look like a fucking j

How does it compare to the LG OLED TVs? Does it have less issues with sudden brightness changes a la ABL?

I was over at a friend's place and got to see the CX OLED side by side with a PG32UQX for the first time. Black levels and contrast were amazing on the CX, of course, but the HDR experience wasn't as eye catching after the PG32UQX. So really curious how QD-OLED compares and much better it is to OLED.

GOW is a different game with an OLED HDR screen, pics don't do justice :)

Attachments

• PXL_20220311_032357170.jpg
    PXL_20220311_032357170.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20220311_032456611.jpg
    PXL_20220311_032456611.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 1
How does it compare to the LG OLED TVs? Does it have less issues with sudden brightness changes a la ABL?

I was over at a friend's place and got to see the CX OLED side by side with a PG32UQX for the first time. Black levels and contrast were amazing on the CX, of course, but the HDR experience wasn't as eye catching after the PG32UQX. So really curious how QD-OLED compares and much better it is to OLED.
I like this way better than my C177!

Still testing and trying different settings...looks like TrueBlack400 is better for SDR and HDR1000 for HDR.

Easily the best gaming monitor right now....I think I'm done playing FPS on the PG32

OK some more testing:

I've played some BF2042.....lol have not played that pos in months, but its got great HDR to test.

Then I played some Halo MCC as that always maxes FPS with ease and has nice HDR as well.

Dang, this AW34 is FANTASTIC! Which is big of me to say as I loath 1440peee, but hot damn this display is impressive! It beats the living shit out of the G9 Neo AND the 38GL950G-B!

Blacks are super impressive, colors are excellent, motion clarity is great, HDR is outstanding!

HDR is not as eye searing as the PeeGeez32, but you have the benefit of zero haloing and infinite contrast...overall I would have to say this is the #1 HDR monitor right now, but the PG32 does have its moments. But yea, this bad boy makes the G9 Neo HDR look like a fucking joke!

Also, I don't have any issues reading text, looks typical 1440pee to me there, maybe even better since the oled contrast helps EVERYTHING.

I would say if you have an aging FW900 on its last legs then this is the only digital display for you at the moment.
This is an incredible monitor and I am a 4k resolution slut bag!

My FW900's legs still seem quite sturdy. (It had an easy life until the more recent events.)

And not sure how I'd feel about displacing it. However, I put my name in. When it finally arrives in...May. Will check it out. :)

This monitor is so damn good!

The 4k240 was my most anticipated monitor of this year. I may skip that lol

Can you guys check for PWM flicker. I’m sensitive to it. Makes my eyes feel sunburnt over a few hours of use, and the feeling lasts for days before fading away. :(

Easy to check for. You point your phone at it, turn video on to slow mow 240FPS (or higher if you have it), record, and see if you see flashing or banding through the phone that you don’t see with your naked eye. At 100% brightness there should be very little PWM, perhaps none. At lower brightness is where PWM will reveal itself.

Here’s how to test, and a good short explanation of PWM.

Less than 1% of people are affected by PWM, but if you are you can’t ever use a display with it, without discomfort.

Can you guys check for PWM flicker. I’m sensitive to it. Makes my eyes feel sunburnt over a few hours of use, and the feeling lasts for days before fading away. :(

Easy to check for. You point your phone at it, turn video on to slow mow 240FPS (or higher if you have it), record, and see if you see flashing or banding through the phone that you don’t see with your naked eye. At 100% brightness there should be very little PWM, perhaps none. At lower brightness is where PWM will reveal itself.

Less than 1% of people are affected by PWM, but if you are you can’t ever use a display with it, without discomfort.

Two samples @ 75% brightness...HDR was enabled on desktop

I see it flickering
edit: I recorded it at 240 but it seems to upload to youtube at normal speed.

Mine still says it's supposed to ship today. I ordered yesterday morning with Dell newsletter 10% off code. At this point I'll believe it when I see it :)
How did you get it working? It doesn't allow me to use it as apparently this monitor is an exception

Back