Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Jesus I think I'm the only one of you that hasn't ordered...
Do any of you guys that ordered also have a 48" c1/cx to do a side by side comparison?

Seems like 2022 might be the year of c2 42" vs the 34" QD-OLED

Jeez I was in such a panic to order didn't even notice faster shipping options. From TN to here is going to take forever with ground shipping.

I have a 48" CX to compare with. I don't think they're going to be that different TBH other than refresh rate (I'm going to use it at 175hz).

I was able to order one at $980, chose the expedited delivery for Wednesday the 9th.

Jesus I think I'm the only one of you that hasn't ordered...
Do any of you guys that ordered also have a 48" c1/cx to do a side by side comparison?

Seems like 2022 might be the year of c2 42" vs the 34" QD-OLED
I have a 48" C1 and will definitely be doing a comparison.
Do note, side by side comparisons done with them actually next to each other won't work. I do mine by recording them separately with correct white balancing and exposure. Then put them side by side in post.

Otherwise metamerism and exposure bias will make one look right and not the other. That's why in some comparisons you'll see on YouTube OLED will look too blue or green.

If two displays are a very similar average picture level brightness and have the same spectral power distribution (SPD) then they can be in the same frame.

I got this monitor instead of downsizing to the 42" C2 because when I live stream currently my camera ends up sitting in front of the C1 instead of above or it would be looking down on my head. Having the shorter height of the monitor I can position the camera better where it's not blocking the actual screen.

Also I want to get a head start on perceptually matching a new alternative white point for QD-OLED as I'm sure they will suffer metamerism. So if I get clients who need a Sony A95K QD-OLED calibrated before I can get one, I'll have a white point target ready.

Alright, ordered Saturday around 12am Pacific and couldn't cancel my order earlier today since there was a new "Deal". That being said, just like many of you received a Fed Ex notice (Standard) shipping while Dell never updated. Likely why I couldn't cancel since it's been with FedEx since like early this morning lol. It's only now that the Dell website updated.

It's from "DELL CEVA" and also shipping from TN. For those who ordered on the new "Deal", you may want to watch your UPS and Fed EX accounts ahead of time if you've set them up as the Dell website was extremely behind.

Also, looks like they just updated that "deal" premier page. Unsure if they had a cut-off or will be cancelling so keep an eye out for that and your shipping profiles.

1646717979031.png

No idea what is being said here but some interesting demonstrations. The brightness fluctuations around the 6:50 mark is exactly what I hate about OLED:

I don't think anyone with working eyes will be using it at 200nits+ where ABL comes into play.

No idea what is being said here but some interesting demonstrations. The brightness fluctuations around the 6:50 mark is exactly what I hate about OLED:

That dudes bowl hair cut is giving me ptsd flashbacks of my mom weildng a cheap dull pair of scissors in one hand with a thin metal bowl in the other, in their kitchen circa 1983.

That ufo blur test looks seriously impressive!

Not everyone lives/works out of a basement… or has sensitive eyes.
This...I plan to use this thing in HDR (previously used an LG CX, handled HDR on the desktop beautifully, hopefully this does too), likely at max brightness.

It does. My PG32UQX G-Sync Ultimate chip monitor runs 4K/144Hz/HDR/12-bit Full-RGB color.

Really Alienware missed opportunity here not using DSC.
So if not the Gsync Ultra Modul isn’t the limiter for DSC, what is?

FALD LCDs have ABL as well. Nearly 300nits full field in SDR is very bright, and would be plenty for bright rooms. It's a little less in HDR, but HDR highlights are hardly ever that much of the image.

The 48 C1 can do 200nits full field in SDR with a bit of tweaking but never would I use it that way. It becomes fatiguing over ~130.

Not everyone lives/works out of a basement… or has sensitive eyes.
I'm not sure if you've ever calibrated a displays brightness. Even in a office environment 180nits is pushing what's comfortable.

So day three my order is still in "Production" hell with an available cancel button. Doubt I'll be getting it, even with a legit business used, when thousands of regular people on Reddit/Slickdeals etc will probably get theirs. :banghead:

Would also be pretty funny if it never launches on their regular Alienware consumer monitor page due to being OOS from all these "business" purchases.

Would also be pretty funny if it never launches on their regular Alienware consumer monitor page due to being OOS from all these "business" purchases.
I have a feeling this could be likely especially if they accept all the $980 orders. It hurts the psychological perception of needing to pay $300 more now even though it's just MSRP.

I'm not sure if you've ever calibrated a displays brightness. Even in a office environment 180nits is pushing what's comfortable.
I have sat in front of three IPS displays (32 inch, 27 inch and 24 inch), all at ~400 nits, for the last 5 years in an 'office environment'...I find it perfectly comfortable thank you very much.

I have and prefer running things at around ~250-300 in my very bright home office during the day. I don’t find it fatiguing at all.

I have and prefer running things at around ~250-300 in my very bright home office during the day. I don’t find it fatiguing at all.
Same...there will always be people that have their monitors setup like they've been living in a cave for their entire lives though, and they will always act like their brightness preference is the end all be all and anyone who isn't doing the same shit is insane lol.

So day three my order is still in "Production" hell with an available cancel button. Doubt I'll be getting it, even with a legit business used, when thousands of regular people on Reddit/Slickdeals etc will probably get theirs. :banghead:
Did you already have multiple monitor purchases with the e-mail associated? I ask because you've always helped out with many monitor reviews lol. Maybe it got flagged for that? Made my first purchase with Dell for this monitor.

I eagerly await a review on this monitor. It's too small for me personally but the tech has me excited for future products.

So my $1300 one ordered on Sunday is shipping from CA with Friday ETA.

My second one for $980 ordered yesterday is shipping from TN with Thursday ETA!

ROFL...WTF Dell!

Well at least I will be able to scalp the second one to Vega for 1.2 million bitcoin!

All IPS monitors become glow/clouding hell over 150 cd/m2, unless they have an ATW polarizer and less than .01% of them do now.

Still have to play with it a bit more but so far it's looking good!
Nice, how is ABL? That was something that popped-up in that video. Just wasn't sure if they had HDR active during that window test. Basically they had content in the background/dark ish and they opened up a notepad app and increased the size and noticed the screen brightness fluctuating in the dark areas.

How is the "black level"? A reddit post looked like it was grayish but unsure if they actually had a black image vs disconnecting the panel.

Nice, how is ABL? That was something that popped-up in that video. Just wasn't sure if they had HDR active during that window test. Basically they had content in the background/dark ish and they opened up a notepad app and increased the size and noticed the screen brightness fluctuating in the dark areas.

How is the "black level"? A reddit post looked like it was grayish but unsure if they actually had a black image vs disconnecting the panel.
The black levels are excellent so far, what you'd expect from an OLED panel. I can see how the AG coating can make the blacks look worse though in an environment with light hitting the screen directly. The AG coating has a purplish tint like on many screens out there but the coating on this monitor doesn't seem as good as newer OLED TVs at blocking reflections. Shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't have light directly hitting the panel.

As for ABL, I didn't get a chance to test that out but when I loaded up Doom: Eternal in HDR it wasn't super bright but I only played for maybe five minutes and didn't try adjusting the in-game HDR settings or anything like. The monitor was set to HDR 400 by default.

Only other thing that caught my eye was that the screen had thin black boarders on the edges and bottom as if it was using a type of screen shift like on OLED TVs. Could be something else causing it but I'll have to mess with it later.

Same...there will always be people that have their monitors setup like they've been living in a cave for their entire lives though, and they will always act like their brightness preference is the end all be all and anyone who isn't doing the same shit is insane lol.

You can do whatever you want. But OLED tech really shines in dark rooms (HDR content is also mastered in dark rooms with a target of around 100 nits average, similar to SDR movies).

Otherwise the true blacks and infinite contrast won't do anything vs a good LCD because of how our eyes work. Of course the advantage of ultra fast pixel response times remains (and halo free HDR).

Just got mine. Still fiddling with settings, and probably will be for days, but I am in heaven so far.

Black is indeed black, so no fear there, that said if you have enough light behind you, it can illuminate the pixels that are displaying black (IE, off), which doesn't look as nice. Adjusting room lighting isn't difficult to get around this though.

As for ABL, I went for the HDR 1000 mode and enabled HDR in windows, and there are a few situations where it can be seen for sure, but it's really not that bad, certainly better than the LG OLED's at max brightness (which is what I am running). Those that prefer lower brightness will probably never even notice it tbh.

Text is also pretty decent. I did come from a 27 inch 1440p IPS (PG279Q), but I have a 4K 32 inch panel to the left (32UD99W), and while it's a bit worse than that, it's certainly more than acceptable for me at about arms reach viewing distances.

Only notable complaints so far are that it makes my two LCD's flanking it look like utter shit, especially off angle, and no Dolby Vision support. Would have been nice, but not a deal breaker.

Thanks for the impressions ya'll!

Glad to hear bout ABL performance in HDR off and really minimal for HDR on. Only plan to have HDR on for gaming which shouldn't be a problem. Glad we are finally here

Unless I'm mistaken, last I checked there is no such thing as Dolby Vision on a Windows PC.

Back