Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

If you have a Dell EPP or Premier account, you can talk to Business Sales, obviously YMMV. I used a long standing EPP account fwiw. GL.
Ahhh, thanks. That's a heck of a deal! I'm thinking of getting one as a secondary monitor for gaming only and using my flat 16:9 4k60 for productivity.

I just chatted Dell sales and they said "We will get in stock on march 9 and once we get in stock I would be happy to place the order for you". Looking forward to trying this one out.

I was surprised they knew immediately what I was asking about - I think they've probably gotten a lot of chats about this recently.

I just chatted Dell sales and they said "We will get in stock on march 9 and once we get in stock I would be happy to place the order for you". Looking forward to trying this one out.

I was surprised they knew immediately what I was asking about - I think they've probably gotten a lot of chats about this recently.
That's good to hear. Crossing my fingers Dell's logistic stand up to the coming onslaught. Have a feeling 90% of purchasers will be from Hardforum ;) lol

Couple interesting things I noticed in the review that was posted:

The reviewer measured an average GTG response of 0.18 ms which is actually pretty nuts, the Asus ROG Swift 360hz monitor only averages about 2.7 ms gtg.

The reviewer also states that the Gsync ultimate module in this display includes the Nvidia reflex latency analyzer, some of last years Alienware Gsync ultimate monitors didn't include this. If that's true I'm really looking forward to it, I own a Hyper X Pulsefire Haste with the updated firmware for reflex so I'll be trying that immediately.

From a Chinese user that got it: "Then there are the shortcomings, because the non-glossy screen used in the display does not feel as transparent as the glossy screen, and the black is not as pure black as the C1, and it is a bit grayish, which is more obvious when looking at the black and white tones of the comics.

Another shortcoming may vary from person to person. I am used to C1, but I really feel that the 34-inch fish screen is a bit small

. Maybe I still have to wait for a 48- or 42-inch QD-OLED TV. Coupled with the transparency of the mirror screen, perfect"

Impressions from a user on Reddit who got theirs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/t75xwf/got_my_aw3432dw_compare_to_lg_c1/

Text might not be as sharp as on the C1 and as stated above the AG coating makes the blacks look more grayish in a heavily lit area. In a lower lit area they seem fine.

Other than that it's looking pretty good. I'm still going to try and get one.
I think the original picture he posted made the entire monitor enthusiast community collectively shit a brick. The low light pictures look like what you'd expect from an OLED. 😌

I think the original picture he posted made the entire monitor enthusiast community collectively shit a brick. The low light pictures look like what you'd expect from an OLED. 😌

Yeah, OLED TVs have always had more purplish looking blacks in higher lit areas. Same with my iPhone X. Also, when I've used my iPhone X outdoors in sunlight the blacks look more grayish there too since the screen is absorbing so much light. The Alienware QD-OLED should be fine in most indoor lighting conditions.

QD-OLED definitely seems to be the more significant improvement to OLED tech vs. LG's "Evo" panels. Really hope Samsung makes smaller sizes in the future. I'll just hold onto my CX until then.

Impressions from a user on Reddit who got theirs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/t75xwf/got_my_aw3432dw_compare_to_lg_c1/

Text might not be as sharp as on the C1 and as stated above the AG coating makes the blacks look more grayish in a heavily lit area. In a lower lit area they seem fine.

Other than that it's looking pretty good. I'm still going to try and get one.
I can bear with no 4k and Ultrawide, but worse text reproduction than WOLED with an RGB panel? Oh my...

I can bear with no 4k and Ultrawide, but worse text reproduction than WOLED with an RGB panel? Oh my...
You know… was wondering if he had the wrong cleartype settings. I mean, no WRGB (RGB panel) should be more clear… right?

The photos don't actually show that as far as I can tell but /shrug. It's hard to be sure due to the color differences and the poor photo quality. If this is a really important point to you I would wait for real reviews.

If anyone wants a legit way to place an order for one of these, Capital One will link you directly to a Dell Premier guest account for one of their deals for Dell laptops, and you can navigate to the page for this monitor there and place an order.

Link here: https://spring.capitalone.com/

1646548315296.png

My card has already been charged despite the site saying you get charged when the order ships. Estimated delivery is Tuesday. We'll see what happens.

If anyone wants a legit way to place an order for one of these, Capital One will link you directly to a Dell Premier guest account for one of their deals for Dell laptops, and you can navigate to the page for this monitor there and place an order.

View attachment 450981

My card has already been charged despite the site saying you get charged when the order ships. Estimated delivery is Tuesday. We'll see what happens.
Just placed an order. My arrival date is March 11 with standard shipping. Thanks for letting us know about this!

Last edited:

View attachment 450981

Seems to work, you have to use the direct link to find it. Searching won't show up: https://www.dell.com/premier/us/en/rc985012/#/systems/details/aw3423dw-monitor/AW3423DWSAP

I went ahead and ordered one as well. March 11th is my expected delivery date.

View attachment 450981

Made my order, I've been waiting for a self-emissive PC Monitor forever, got tired of using CRT's especially with the unreliability and ridiculous prices for the nice ones. I am hoping the blacks are actually black.

Edit: Already got my order confirmation, I chose standard shipping and mine should arrive by Friday, much earlier than the 29th. :woot:

Last edited:

View attachment 450981

You the man, ordered.

Ordered but WHY THE HELL did they not include DSC so we could of had 240hz 10bit full chroma?

Gahhhh

If you have EPP or Premier, advise calling and ordering with rep, you can usually get substantial discounts.

1. Gsync ultimate doesn't support DSC yet.

It does. My PG32UQX G-Sync Ultimate chip monitor runs 4K/144Hz/HDR/12-bit Full-RGB color.

Really Alienware missed opportunity here not using DSC. This could have been a 3440x1440 Full-RGB HDR 240 Hz 12-bit color OLED monitor.

Only thing I can think of for the 175 Hz limit is the panels back-plane bandwidth is too narrow, and/or NVIDIA implementing DSC would cost too much. I mean this monitor is very inexpensive for what you get IMO.

Any monitor can be ruined by bad sub-pixel layout or bad non-glossy AG coating. Hope this isnt it. But this doesnt look good. Looks like there are black gaps in the pixel layout:

y1q57w4m1ml81.jpg

A bad photo can also make things look worse. Link to more pics?

Thats a weird pixel structure. If people think this wont make a difference on a macro level, think again. I remember testing the glossy Dell screens and they had some kind of weird pixel structure with lines in the subpixel which made the screen have a screen door effect.

Cautiously optimistic, otherwise there is the 42 LG coming out soon, my Acer 382 is always a great IPS fallback.

It does. My PG32UQX G-Sync Ultimate chip monitor runs 4K/144Hz/HDR/12-bit Full-RGB color.

Really Alienware missed opportunity here not using DSC. This could have been a 3440x1440 Full-RGB HDR 240 Hz 12-bit color OLED monitor.

Only thing I can think of for the 175 Hz limit is the panels back-plane bandwidth is too narrow, and/or NVIDIA implementing DSC would cost too much. I mean this monitor is very inexpensive for what you get IMO.
Interesting, good points. I agree 240hz+ would have been really nice. I'm downgrading from 280hz to 175 but given it's almost impossible to run 3440x1440 at 175+ fps in Warzone I'll live with it.

Last edited:
Back