Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

It's this monitor or the Samsung Neo G8 for me, after the reviews come out. Can't ever go back to using IPS after using the G7 the past couple of years, contrast ratio and black levels are too important.
What I'm really waiting for is a 4k, 32 in, 16:9, flat, glossy, 240hz, OLED monitor. I think a lot of people are waiting for this.

Also the AW3423DW is currently first on rtings voting for the next monitor they review, so it should win when it comes out. It is certainly a very anticipated monitor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220302-104804~2.png
    Screenshot_20220302-104804~2.png
    352.9 KB · Views: 0
It's this monitor or the Samsung Neo G8 for me, after the reviews come out. Can't ever go back to using IPS after using the G7 the past couple of years, contrast ratio and black levels are too important.
What I'm really waiting for is a 4k, 32 in, 16:9, flat, glossy, 240hz, OLED monitor. I think a lot of people are waiting for this.

Also the AW3423DW is currently first on rtings voting for the next monitor they review, so it should win when it comes out. It is certainly a very anticipated monitor.
There is a shitty viewsonic in the running. Please go vote for the AW3423DW
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions

You want your monitor to make you have to squint? This is what I don't understand about brightness-whores in the context of monitors/displays for desktop use. Everyone is losing their minds over the 250 nit spec, "oh the monitor is ruined, the miniLED LCDs are going to look so much better with HDR content" and I'm sitting here wondering why the fuck you want to intentionally simulate what it's like to look at the sun in real life.

Full screen brightness shouldn't matter for a desktop monitor. Does anyone here play only during the day and with their monitor facing a window? No, I would bet the vast majority of us, not just here on H but the entire target audience for this monitor, are in our offices, bedrooms, mancaves etc. with full control over our lighting.

I calibrate my screens to 150 nits and in a dark room even at that low of a brightness I cringe every time I open Excel or an all-white website I don't have a dark user style/theme for.

Highlights are what matter for a proper HDR experience and this screen, in conjunction with its perfect blacks and per pixel brightness control, is going to produce the best in the industry.

IMO, the only true downside to this monitor is its aspect ratio, and the image quality this thing is going to produce will far, far outweigh any other potential qualms one might have with it.

Death to LCD, all-OLED household here I come.

Isn't 250 nits the sustained full field brightness and not the max brightness it can do for a split second on full field? If it can do 600 nits full field for a few seconds before ramping down to 250 I feel like that's enough, nobody wants to be staring at 600+ nits for longer than that, at least I don't lol.

Isn't 250 nits the sustained full field brightness and not the max brightness it can do for a split second on full field? If it can do 600 nits full field for a few seconds before ramping down to 250 I feel like that's enough, nobody wants to be staring at 600+ nits for longer than that, at least I don't lol.

You know those annoying effects they do in games where you can't see anything when you come out of a cave into the sunlight?
Well you wouldn't need them if the monitor blasted you with a billion nits IRL as you looked at the sun in game.

You know those annoying effects they do in games where you can't see anything when you come out of a cave into the sunlight?
Well you wouldn't need them if the monitor blasted you with a billion nits IRL as you looked at the sun in game.
If it doesn't sear my retinas when I see white colors on the screen, it's garbage! :p

I mean, this monitor isn't for everyone. No need to convince them at all, why do that when we can have it to ourselves. The people who actually want it =P

I just want an oled 32" 16:9 flat screen at 4k120 or better... This display is so tempting despite my hate of curved displays and lower resolution. :)

We have to wait for LG to finish milking that 32EP950 first. Then maybe we can get a "gamer" version with 144Hz, and hopefully 1/4 the price, or less.

We have to wait for LG to finish milking that 32EP950 first. Then maybe we can get a "gamer" version with 144Hz, and hopefully 1/4 the price, or less.
Been on 4k60 gsync since 2014. They need to hurry up! :p I want my high refresh back ;) from my older 1440p panel.

Been on 4k60 gsync since 2014. They need to hurry up! :p I want my high refresh back ;) from my older 1440p panel.
Probably going to be waiting at least another two years, Samsung has no current plans on anything other than the ultrawide and the two big TV panels for QD-OLED. LG 42" monitor version of the C2 coming, might have to compromise on the size (and lose the QD) if you're impatient like me.

I mean sorta yes. I could see content creators in the video spaces, as the aspect ratio is progressively becoming more common for shows and YT. While also already being used in film for a very long time. Plus it lets you really get a proper sense of HDR because well OLED. But for Photographers and Graphics Artists... not so much. Colour accuracy is far more important in those fields and LCD's already absolutely nail that at a way WAY cheaper price point.

Last edited:
The author of the article I linked above told me Dell asked him to remove the March 9th date and that it was not a typo.

they provided a Dell part number, did that yield any results?
The 210-BCYE he lists also returns 0 results.

While I can see Alienware products Premier pages are personalized so it's possible I just can't see it or it's not available to me.

The author of the article I linked above told me Dell asked him to remove the March 9th date and that it was not a typo.
Super interesting, it was removed indeed.
The 210-BCYE he lists also returns 0 results.

While I can see Alienware products Premier pages are personalized so it's possible I just can't see it or it's not available to me.

I am considered a "customer" not a "reseller." as he listed but regardless this is not widely available on premier if he is being truthful.
It's the internet so it's good to be cautious but jeeze dude lmao. Person could be lying but the way they posted and have responded gives me no "vibes" of that.

Super interesting, it was removed indeed.

It's the internet so it's good to be cautious but jeeze dude lmao. Person could be lying but the way they posted and have responded gives me no "vibes" of that.
I never flat out called him a liar I was just stating I couldn't see it on my premier page.

Not going to lie I am a little salty though it isn't an option for me......

Last edited:
I never flat out called him a liar I was just stating I couldn't see it on my premier page.

Not going to lie I am a little salty though it isn't an option for me......
Hypothetically, if you went to your page, then went to the Shop tab dropdown, selected Dell Monitors and then All Dell Monitors and then on the page that loads, Dell monitors 26" and above, what would you see?

Unfortunately, what I see is on govt contract so all I can do is look longingly.

Last edited:
Hypothetically, if you went to your page, then went to the Shop tab dropdown, selected Dell Monitors and then All Dell Monitors and then on the page that loads, Dell monitors 26" and above, what would you see?

Unfortunately, what I see is on govt contract so all I can do is look longingly.
Yeah I checked as well as tried searching for Alienware and all I see is products currently available. :(

Really, Premier customers get first crack at a gaming monitor? Fucking Dell.

Really, Premier customers get first crack at a gaming monitor? Fucking Dell.
I mean, it's basically "personal" usage individuals likely buying it via premier =P. Business partners typically get stock inventory ahead of everyone but not really sure who would be looking for a gaming monitor for said business reasons. Maybe game devs at most? lol

I mean, it's basically "personal" usage individuals likely buying it via premier =P. Business partners typically get stock inventory ahead of everyone but not really sure who would be looking for a gaming monitor for said business reasons. Maybe game devs at most? lol
Game Devs, Video production studios, Schools that do anything with game development or video, Computer Lan gaming centers etc etc etc. Plenty of business case scenarios.

I'm on the fence about buying this. OLED and refresh rate sound awesome but 1440p blows and I'm really not a fan of UW. Might be a decent stop gap until a 16:9 32" version pops up in a year+.

In my little experience, enterprise goes for more proven stuff (is there even review out yet to know if all day long text is good ?), could it be simply employee and their friend buying via enterprise account.

If you knew the price after discount on our State contract you'd shat yourself. I almost did. Alas, I can't use it for personal purchases, but goddamn, it's right there and available.

Estimated delivery for me is March 15th, I'll be comparing it to my 280 hz IPS and I'm a super sweaty warzone player. Hopefully it helps, instead of hinders my performance. I'm going to need to order a 5800x3d to maintain 175+ FPS.

Those HDR peak brightness results are pretty damn impressive.

EDIT: This things so cheap that I'm just gonna buy it since everything in my life is OLED (Phone, TV, Tablet, etc).

Reactions: zurv
like this
Dang it! Looks fantastic but I think I’ll miss the real estate on my 48” CX. Truly a 1st world problem, I know.

Why would Alienware include a HDR400 mode? That 1000 mode is gonna be the one to use.
If you are talking about the Vesa HDR rating, it is different compared to LCD's where it tops out at HDR 1400. True Black HDR 400 is equivalent to HDR 1000 for LCD's. Since OLED's can hit true black without a sweat, it is rated completely off nits. For Oled's, there is only True Black HDR 400/500/600. This one being a 400 cert. But considering the peak brightness of this display, I don't think this is an issue whatsoever.

If they had a 16:9 or 21:9 non curved ultrawide, I would pick one up. Love the idea of curved for gaming and what not. But working in 3d and 2d art, staring and lines and what not day in and out, curved lines would throw off my workflow quite a lot and mess with my artistic eye, so no bueno for me. =*(....

If you are talking about the Vesa HDR rating, it is different compared to LCD's where it tops out at HDR 1400. True Black HDR 400 is equivalent to HDR 1000 for LCD's. Since OLED's can hit true black without a sweat, it is rated completely off nits. For Oled's, there is only True Black HDR 400/500/600. This one being a 400 cert. But considering the peak brightness of this display, I don't think this is an issue whatsoever.

If they had a 16:9 or 21:9 non curved ultrawide, I would pick one up. Love the idea of curved for gaming and what not. But working in 3d and 2d art, staring and lines and what not day in and out, curved lines would throw off my workflow quite a lot and mess with my artistic eye, so no bueno for me. =*(....
It only hits 1000 nits in the HDR1000 mode, it's capped at ~440 in the TB400 mode.

It has a Trueblack 400 mode, AND a normal HDR1000 mode. Dunno why.

1646423984412.png

1646423955592.png

Back