Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Good luck to all getting one at that price. They will be in stock for 30 seconds max and on eBay for twice as much in 30 seconds more lol.

Good luck to all getting one at that price. They will be in stock for 30 seconds max and on eBay for twice as much in 30 seconds more lol.
Curved+Ultrawide+UWQHD.
That´s not really a Systemseller for the masses out there, and definitely not a subject for Scalper...

I guess we just don't know about ULMB or such at this point? Or whatever the equivalent would be for OLED. Been looking, but have not been able to find anything...

I guess we just don't know about ULMB or such at this point? Or whatever the equivalent would be for OLED. Been looking, but have not been able to find anything...
No one has said a thing about if or what levels of motion blur reduction are employed.

FYI - OLED had traditionally done black frame insertion, which is essentially strobing (LG OLED’s) or rolling scan (Sony PVM OLED’s).

No one has said a thing about if or what levels of motion blur reduction are employed.

FYI - OLED had traditionally done black frame insertion, which is essentially strobing (LG OLED’s) or rolling scan (Sony PVM OLED’s).
I think even the LG OLEDs use a rolling scan type thing. Correct me if I am wrong.

I wish they had just gone straight for 38" 3840x1600 for these QD-OLEDs. But I guess the 3440x1440 ultrawide is easier to sell, not to mention run for games.

I think even the LG OLEDs use a rolling scan type thing. Correct me if I am wrong.

I wish they had just gone straight for 38" 3840x1600 for these QD-OLEDs. But I guess the 3440x1440 ultrawide is easier to sell, not to mention run for games.
I thought it was straight BFI. I remember that being cited as one of its short comings for maintaining brightness at 60hz ~ 4.2ms (High mode). The newer C1's don't have a 4.2 ms mode for 60hz I believe. They only allow for 8ms of motion persistence for 60hz material. Which is more or less a decent Plasma TV. Sucks but better than nothing I suppose, and it's single strobe, so there's no crazy double image effect.

I thought it was straight BFI. I remember that being cited as one of its short comings for maintaining brightness at 60hz ~ 4.2ms (High mode). The newer C1's don't have a 4.2 ms mode for 60hz I believe. They only allow for 8ms of motion persistence for 60hz material. Which is more or less a decent Plasma TV. Sucks but better than nothing I suppose, and it's single strobe, so there's no crazy double image effect.
I thought I saw some slow motion videos where it looked like a rolling scan (black bar going from top to bottom) but that might be just how it looks in slow motion.

I thought I saw some slow motion videos where it looked like a rolling scan (black bar going from top to bottom) but that might be just how it looks in slow motion.
You maybe right. Maybe I’m thinking that having more rolling “zones” would fix the brightness issue. In any case… I am eager to see if this screen has ulmb options.

Did some testing in Warzone today. This model is roughly 5 million pixels which is 2976x1674 in Warzone, I set the resolution scale there and in order to maintain 175fps+ at all times I'll need to OC my 3080 and definitely replace the Ryzen 5600x with at least a 5800x3d or Intel 12700KF. I'm a Warzone sweat lord, 3.59 KD this season.

Curved+Ultrawide+UWQHD.
Alienware was selling 34" IPS displays in the same format for like $1000 with no trouble just a year or two ago... and this is the first real >120hz gaming OLED monitor ever released, not some random commodity IPS shit. It's literally going to be the best gaming monitor you can buy at ANY price. Crappy miniLED bullshit was more expensive.

Alienware was selling 34" IPS displays in the same format for like $1000 with no trouble just a year or two ago... and this is the first real >120hz gaming OLED monitor ever released, not some random commodity IPS shit. It's literally going to be the best gaming monitor you can buy at ANY price. Crappy miniLED bullshit was more expensive.
Funny world we live in where it's more cost effective to buy an OLED over mini-LED.

Man. I'm super torn at this moment. Got three IPS 27' 1440p displays at 144hz. Have an Eve Spectrum preordered to be my new main display, was planning to nab the glossy 1440p 280hz option. Would cost me about 700 since I pre-ordered early on. But having a hard time justifying the price when this QD-OLED is around the corner at such a low price. But then again, not the biggest have of ultrawides....But what worries me the most is burn in, I'm sitting in front of my monitor literally all day, and it's an always on setup for me, with around 12-16 hours of screen on time a day, with the rest in idle mode....

Can't figure out the right move. Tend to keep my monitors for 5+ years. As my current two Acer Predators are pushing 7 years, and nabbed an 10 bit LG 1440p panel for my current main display for color work, which is less than a year.

If this QD-OLED was 2k, I would have no worries and go ahead with my Eve...But this price for an QD-OLED pc monitor is just fantastic. I was expecting 3k, not 1300. Sheeesh...Talk about a surprise. Was going to nab this Eve and wait till MicroLed hit....But at 1300, it be messing with my head, even against my better judgement knowing I will most likely suffer burn in considering my usage timeframe.

Curved+Ultrawide+UWQHD.
That´s not really a Systemseller for the masses out there, and definitely not a subject for Scalper...
But... Aren't these going to be extremely limited in quantity? Especially if QD-OLED yield rate is only 30%? I'm hoping for the best. But if I learned anything from a post-covid world it's that everything is out of stock, always and forever.

What is the sustained whole-screen brightness on this thing? I HATE the ABL on my LG OLED. It is very distracting to me.

That can be disabled with the service remote from eBay.
Hmmm... I thought that you could only disable ASBL which dims the screen only when the TV shows static content for more than ~90 seconds. I'll have to look into this but I doubt they would let you disable ABL due to heat/electrical concerns. I could be wrong though.

How many times have you guys seen this image in the last month and a half since CES? I'm at about 9000.

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 1.20.43 PM.png

Anyone know the secret to buying one of these from Dell on launch day?
Luck or know an inside sales rep at Dell.

Hopefully not but this is likely going to just be vaporware for months

Last edited:
Hmmm... I thought that you could only disable ASBL which dims the screen only when the TV shows static content for more than ~90 seconds. I'll have to look into this but I doubt they would let you disable ABL due to heat/electrical concerns. I could be wrong though.
My mistake, I thought you meant asbl :).

It's Dell people... the likely hood is they wouldn't be doing this if they couldn't get the numbers right for it. Their supply management is second to basically none.

This reminds me of the 2405FPW back in the day, exact same vibe :D

Last edited:
Should be almost exactly 5.7ms MPRT with zero ghosting.
I assume that’s just the sample and hold MPRT at max refresh. Am hoping there’s a BFI mode with this screen. Hell anything would be better than none. Even if it meant just giving us the option to have that 5.7ms at lower refresh rates. I’m pretty sure that that would make it better than Plasma.

Ya, but I doubt it will have BFI. OLED has too poor brightness to compensate for BFI. Like on the 48CX hardly anyone uses BFI as it's too dim.

Ya, but I doubt it will have BFI. OLED has too poor brightness to compensate for BFI. Like on the 48CX hardly anyone uses BFI as it's too dim.
I think the CX BFI is totally ok at auto/medium setting for SDR gaming. For HDR gaming it does not work well. I mostly forget it exists because it's not very convenient to toggle.

Too dim is subjective. The CX can still do 120 nits with BFI set to HIGH and that is totally useable for me and many others in regular SDR gaming. For people who need BFI to output 300+ nits then sure it's too dim.

I would use BFI if it worked with VRR. I would gladly sacrifice brightness for that. That's probably the only thing that will get me to "upgrade" from my 48CX.

The additional motion clarity from BFI is amazing, but the smoothness of VRR is even more amazing to me. The LCDs that attempted to do them simultaneously have been garbage, and after experiencing OLED contrast I don't think I could go back to an LCD even if they did it well. I would love to have simultaneous BFI VRR done right on an OLED. Even if it is a big sacrifice to brightness.

For me personally I don't even buy games anymore that don't have HDR. Not to mention BFI with OLED Almost certainly rules out VRR, yet another strike.

I would use BFI if it worked with VRR. I would gladly sacrifice brightness for that. That's probably the only thing that will get me to "upgrade" from my 48CX.

The additional motion clarity from BFI is amazing, but the smoothness of VRR is even more amazing to me. The LCDs that attempted to do them simultaneously have been garbage, and after experiencing OLED contrast I don't think I could go back to an LCD even if they did it well. I would love to have simultaneous BFI VRR done right on an OLED. Even if it is a big sacrifice to brightness.

The Gigabyte M32U looks ok in this pursuit photo from RTings:

1645133163361.png

But this can be misleading because

1) They are not showing the Top/Middle/Bottom areas of the screen to show differences in crosstalk
2) This is only showing what BFI looks like at 144Hz and not with a fluctuating frame rate.

Like I said. I get that it’s dim for some uses. Just give me the option. My Blurbuster monitor is too dim for Ultra clarity. That’s fine. I increase the strobe width to be good enough and while it’s not perfect it’s far better than without.

So excited for this. My first and still current Ultrawide is the X34 Predator($1500 at the time) from 5-6 years ago. New UW/Higher refresh have come out but nothing has really piqued my interest until now. This is the only upgrade I've been looking for! Not only that, finally GPU's that can actually push it to the high refresh are finally here.

I noticed the image flicker at 1:58 in this video:

I hope this display doesn't use PWM dimming

Back