Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Blade-Runner

Supreme [H]ardness
Check this out from Vincent.

I think i might've Finally found my next monitor. Would prefer a lil smaller but oh well.

$5000. 60hz LG OLED monitors are north of $2500. This is brand new tech and niche form factor + high refresh rate.

I think the least expensive QD-OLED TV being released in 2022 is $8000.

Sucks that it's 1440p. Basically takes it off my radar.

I'm hoping for $3000. I think $5000+ is a possibility but there is competition in the form of the LG 42" based displays. If they're ~$2000 and this is $6K+ it becomes a very hard sell, especially since burn-in is irrelevant if the cost difference is 2-3x.

Absolutely no chance it's below $3K.

$3K is my limit. Not spending more than that on 1440p, no matter how amazing QD-OLED picture quality is. If it's more, I'll just wait for the G8.

I'm hoping for $3000. I think $5000+ is a possibility but there is competition in the form of the LG 42" based displays. If they're ~$2000 and this is $6K+ it becomes a very hard sell, especially since burn-in is irrelevant if the cost difference is 2-3x.

Absolutely no chance it's below $3K.
The LG C1 48 inch is 1100$. I suspect that LG will price the C2 42 at $999 USD to break into that price tier. I also think they may lower the price of the 48 inch. Production is through the roof this year, they're going to want to move more units.

If they want to sell allot of them it's has to be around $1000 bux. Thats always been the sweet spot and as other have pointed out, LG's highly popular C1 series, which is larger with a higher resolution, sits just near by around that mark now(which means LG can probably drop the price). It being slightly faster, wider aspect ratio and improved QD-OLED isn't enough to justify it being near or over $2000.

It's a shame there isn't a 38" version. I don't think I can go back to 34" for my daily monitor. For me it's more about the vertical height than total real estate of a 34" ultrawide.
They need to just skip to 40". My buddy wants the Dell 40" Ultrawide to replace his 34" ultrawide but the price hasn't dropped much in the past year, still hovering around $2k.

The LG C1 48 inch is 1100$. I suspect that LG will price the C2 42 at $999 USD to break into that price tier. I also think they may lower the price of the 48 inch. Production is through the roof this year, they're going to want to move more units.
I was referring to the monitor versions which may be more expensive than the TVs, but sure. Supply of this monitor will be very limited so I doubt Samsung/Alienware care about moving units, the units will move at almost any price frankly. But I don't think they want to make QD-OLED look like it's completely out of reach.

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/dell-alienware-aw3423dw-with-34-qd-oled-panel-and-175hz-refresh-rate

Getting a bit antsy waiting for a gaming 5K ultrawide especially as my X34 is getting long in the tooth, so I might be up for upgrading to something like this even with no improvement in resolution.

Not sure about quality of Alienware monitors though, especially as my last Alienware laptop definitely did not stand the test of time.
I had an Alienware AW3418DW for a while and I never had any issues with it. A friend of mine traded me some stuff and cash for it and it's still working for him to this day. I even bought the thing at a discount from Microcenter as an open box item. I think their monitors are fine based on that experience. That being said, I wouldn't consider this monitor unless it were 38". 34" is just too small for me.

I had an Alienware AW3418DW for a while and I never had any issues with it. A friend of mine traded me some stuff and cash for it and it's still working for him to this day. I even bought the thing at a discount from Microcenter as an open box item. I think their monitors are fine based on that experience. That being said, I wouldn't consider this monitor unless it were 38". 34" is just too small for me.

I had an Alienware m14x laptop which required the whole screen to be replaced after 6 months because of a shitty hinge design and then which completely failed just outside the warranty period of 3 years despite it only being lightly used when travelling. I also know others who have bad experiences with Alienware monitors.

All anecdotal but it has tainted my views of the brand.

I had an Alienware m14x laptop which required the whole screen to be replaced after 6 months because of a shitty hinge design and then which completely failed just outside the warranty period of 3 years despite it only being lightly used when travelling. I also know others who have bad experiences with Alienware monitors.

All anecdotal but it has tainted my views of the brand.
Laptops and standalone monitors for desktops are very different things.

It's a shame there isn't a 38" version. I don't think I can go back to 34" for my daily monitor. For me it's more about the vertical height than total real estate of a 34" ultrawide.
It's a shame there isn't a 16:9 version.

I couldn't agree more. I had 2560x1600 and even 4K displays before trying 3440x1440 and I didn't care for it. It was fine for gaming, but I hated it for productivity.

38 to 42 inch version of this would be an endgame display for me.

maybe in ~2 years. plenty of decent choices on the market for now.

Are we sure the 42" is going to be cheaper than the 48"? Reason I ask is because I remember the 55" being cheaper than the 48".

Are we sure the 42" is going to be cheaper than the 48"? Reason I ask is because I remember the 55" being cheaper than the 48".
It depends. If the 42" is more popular to the point supply is low, then yeah, it'll be more expensive. I am pretty sure once supply settled out, the 48" did end up cheaper than the 55" though.

Any mention of BFI or such on this? I think stuff I read earlier still didn't indicate...

Im afraid this is gonna be vaporware for most people, either through insane pricing or availability.

Should have at least been 38. If they'd have done 40 - it would have been far more "worth" the premium even if it had been pricier than the 34. 34 just has too much "cheap" associated with the size to really support a premium option. But we'll see. Markets can be crazy these days. But a 42 LG at half the price would sweep the market away from this thing.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
34 just has too much "cheap" associated with the size to really support a premium option.
Huh? First time hearing this.
I think this is your personal opinion, not the one from the masses/people.

Or can you prove this “accusation”? Would love to see a source in the net

Huh? First time hearing this.
I think this is your personal opinion, not the one from the masses/people.

Or can you prove this “accusation”? Would love to see a source in the net

cheap is definitely not the right word, but mainstream or "for the masses" is probably more apt. 34" has become the ubiquitous ultrawide size, so I think he's saying given the stratospheric price its going to command, a more premium size/resolution might have been better.

cheap is definitely not the right word, but mainstream or "for the masses" is probably more apt. 34" has become the ubiquitous ultrawide size, so I think he's saying given the stratospheric price its going to command, a more premium size/resolution might have been better.

True, but the enthusiast who knows what makes this monitor special over a budget run of the mill $350 34" ultrawide will still get it even if the price is steep. Mainstream audience who do not care will go ahead and buy the budget cheapo ultrawides, they weren't really the target audience anyways.

Damn my max budget was $2K. Now at this price I can't wait. Currently on a Dell AW3418DW which has served me well for the last 4 years. I think it's time for an upgrade.

Back