Dell Acknowledges Security Hole In New Laptops

HardOCP News

[H] News
What? You didn't order a security hole with your new laptop? That's okay, Dell gave you one anyway. ;)

A pre-installed program on some newly purchased Dell laptops that can only be removed manually by consumers makes them vulnerable to cyber intrusions that may allow hackers to read encrypted messages and redirect browser traffic to spoofs of real websites such as Google or those belonging to a bank, among other attacks.

would be nice if the article mentioned specifically what bloatware I should be keeping an eye out for.

It's not a "security hole".....it's called a Kensington lock. And it's been in their laptops for years! And you guys call yourself [H]??

22_332-1672.jpg

Yeah, the notebook I want is affected... Great. I'm still going to buy one but I'll immediately fresh install Windows.

Yeah, the notebook I want is affected... Great. I'm still going to buy one but I'll immediately fresh install Windows.

Depending on how it is deployed, a fresh install might not do it. Even if you download an OEM MSDN copy directly from Microsoft. It depends how Dell is infecting the computer.

One of Lenovo's later iterations infected via chip separate from the hard drive. So even if you got a new drive and a clean copy of windows, it'd just infect you anyways.

So they say it's only on PC's from August on but my Alienware 13 I ordered way back in like March and have been using for the better part of 7 months of the year still has that stupid eDellroot key and is vulnerable.

The August time they give is BS.

So they say it's only on PC's from August on but my Alienware 13 I ordered way back in like March and have been using for the better part of 7 months of the year still has that stupid eDellroot key and is vulnerable.

The August time they give is BS.

Maybe an automatic Dell update added it to your system?

Maybe an automatic Dell update added it to your system?

I thought I'd killed most of their stuff when I did a fresh install of windows 10, but apparently some of it is linked to some things like the control software for the system's LED garbage which I need to install because I don't want the lid of my laptop glowing while I'm using it, and it also of course is linked to the keyboard backlight.

Back