Dell 8600 can i upgrade to 128 meg video card later? ASAP please

CyByte

Gawd
for price I'm in a mind but need one soon. Can I order this with the 32 bit nvidia card, then upgrade later to the all out 128mb pro video card? will dell do this? can i do it myself how do I do this and what would it cost me to do?

You can as long as you get the 128MB card for the 8600. Dell will not do it. Check the dell forums under video, there is tons of Info. on this. Dell will sell you the card as a replacement but it weill most likely void the warranty. Do you like your 8600? Did you get a good screen?

I have not yet ordered it. My 8200 had the ultra sharp, beautiful screen.

I will be ordering this laptop with the WSXGA screen. I do not see how to get to the dell forums from dell.com

I want the 128 meg card, can i order this from anywhere besides dell? how hard is it to install? is it just a cover on the back of the pc that opens to it?

You might want to also research the various wsxga issues with one of dells wsxga suppliers. Some have complained about hitachi made displays.

Originally posted by Ponder
You might want to also research the various wsxga issues with one of dells wsxga suppliers. Some have complained about hitachi made displays.

That is why I went with the 5150, but ended up having issues with it as well.

odd choice going for the 5150 'over' the 8600 when the 8600 is dell's 'top of the line' machine.
If its available and you have the money i'd definately recommend the WUXGA screen. By far the sharpest tft available and 1920x1200 is an awesome area to be able to work with, and for games it'll scale to lower easily without the blurring you'd get from lower resolution TFTs.
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?category.id=inspiron will have lots of posts on the notebook, but remember as its a support forum the majority of posts will be by people who are having issues. From what I read about video card upgradeability, technically its possible to upgrade to a 9600 pro turbo or whatever it is, as the card is removeable, and as far as your warranty, Dell will honour your warranty, but not repairs if you were to damage your machine whilst installing the (non supported) card.

Originally posted by ToiIetDuck
odd choice going for the 5150 'over' the 8600 when the 8600 is dell's 'top of the line' machine.

Not odd at all given his reason for the choice.

not when you can get a better, higher resolution screen, and also only some WSXGA screens seem to be poo - 30 days return policy means you can just try again for a proper screen if you were unlucky enough to get a poor one.

I would have let them send me another 5150 as a replacement, but it is a head ache to get RMA's plus the 30 day return applies to the original purchase, if the second one had been bad, by the time I got it the 30 days would have been up! So i would have been stuck with it!

What really pissed me off is that they sent a replacement DVD+RW drive, I got it and it was Refurbished. I had a $1700.00 two week old computer with a Refurb. drive.

yeah that sucks :(

I'm definately going to order it with the uxga screen, but now something else came up and its going to set me back another week! agh stupid bills

Back