dell 8400 cd/dvd problems...

sniper991122

Supreme [H]ardness
okay, so I reinstalled XP the other day and noticed that after I reinstalled it neither the cd-rom drive or the dvd-rom drive would show up under my computer... and oddly enough a new floppy disk drive (which I dont have on this computer) is there also... right clicking on the disk drive causes my computer to crash...

so I go into the bios and reset everything and it shows the Pata-0 and the pata-1 drive as the cd-rom and the dvd-rom drive... starting up windows it doesn't show either of those...

the bios also doesn't show the floppy disk drive either..

the dell is an 8400... any ideas?

odd. sounds like a bad windows install, IE: corrupt file. never had that happen to me so i cant exactly help on this one. id recomend trying to install again and if that dont help get some updates or call dells tech support

Boozer said:
odd. sounds like a bad windows install, IE: corrupt file. never had that happen to me so i cant exactly help on this one. id recomend trying to install again and if that dont help get some updates or call dells tech support

yeh, I was thinking of backing some files up over the network then just doing a complete reformat and reinstall... looks like it'll be coming to this..

(im assuming I can boot up from a cd since it recognizes the dvd drives in the bios.. i'd hate to have to do a network install)

Back