Dell 700m 2.0ghz or 1.6ghz?

LT1UltraZ

n00b
Hey guys, i am fixing to purchase the dell 700m laptop in next few hours. I was wondering if it is woth to shell out extra cash for the 2.0ghz cpu or should i just stick with a 1.7 or 1.8. Will i notice any difference at all?
I am planning on using it for internet, school work and to watch dvds etc.. I doubt it will be able to play any decent games at all so is it even worth it to upgrade the cpu? Also is it a overkill to go with 2gigs of ram o for it or should i just get a 1 gig? (planning on buying it from newegg)
Thanks for the help.
Marcin.

I went with the base processor. Since I won't be playing games on it, that should be plenty of processing power. If I need more I can overclock it.

Adding an extra gig should be plenty. I don't see a need for 2.

I also went with the stock cpu. Its a 1.6 and i put another 1gig chip in it for 1280MB of memory and i can honestly say the slowest part on that laptop is by far the video. However 1.6 should be more than enough. Plus if your savy enough you can put the 2.0ghz in the laptop yourself a few years down the road. Once you take your time and get one open they're very easy to upgrade and mess around with. :)

i saw some people pin modding some 9300's with the lower fsb (400mhz) and getting some pretty ridiculous speeds......

personally i have the 1.6 on my i9300, im not sure what the price jumps are for the higher procs at the moment, but for most light gameplaying that i do and not so intensive stuff its fine. dont forget those pentium-m's are screaming fast.

I haven't overclocked a laptop as I dont think overclocking a laptop would be a very good idea to begin with. Probably do-able yes, but worth it in the end? Probably not.

However you can get Centrino Hardware Control and you can manually set all the multipliers and voltages for each multiplier setting on your Centrino. Very very nice piece of software to have for any system with a Pentium M.

umm...you can do a pin mod on the processor (1.6) and it makes it a 2.1.

i was by no means endorsing it, i was just saying i saw it done.
they did however get very toasty, 55C @ i beleive, and for a small enclosed space like a laptop it definately doesnt seem all that wise to me either ^_^

the 700M is not a gamming machine, and thus just get the 1.6 or 1.7. Plenty of power and a waste of money to get the 2GHZ chip.

Back