Dell 4k Monitor, do you think it will happen soon?

dukenuke88

[H]ard|Gawd
And what I mean by "soon", within the next year or so....I know the Sharp 32 inch 4k display is already out at around $5k....but I'm wondering if Dell will come out with a 4k monitor during 2014 or 2015 at around $3k or less?

The reason why I ask this....hear me out on this one....right now you can get 1080p 5 inch displays on smartphones for $600....we have 1440p (2560x1440) displays from monoprice for $390 - ish....I mean the technology is there! So yeah, what do you guys think? The reason why I say Dell, is because of their amazing overnight warranty support

No. Not this year. Dell doesn't ever shake things up.

Still major problems getting anything above 24P via HDMI, until these problems are solved I don't think that many manufacturers will be pumping out 4K displays as mainstream products.

Why bother with HDMI anyway? Displayport has double the bandwith and not even a tenth of the problems.

Still major problems getting anything above 24P via HDMI, until these problems are solved I don't think that many manufacturers will be pumping out 4K displays as mainstream products.

I have a feeling this might be the case....4k and 60hz and above won't be mainstream any time soon :(

Why bother with HDMI anyway? Displayport has double the bandwith and not even a tenth of the problems.

HDMI has the widespread "branding" that companies love to stick with. People know that if you intend to buy and use an HDTV you'll be required to get an HDMI cable for it to function the best it can. HDMI is on every cable/sat/fiber DTV box , its on every Blu Ray player. Its just everywhere and people are use to it.

Branding means everything these days , even at the expense of common sense. Displayport just doesn't roll off the tongue what so ever.

HDMI 2.0 will support up to 18 Gbit/s (versus Displayport 1.2's current max of 17.28 Gbit/s) which is enough for 4k at 60hz which is the sweet spot that the manufacturers want. So HDMI will stick around for a while. However in terms of computer monitor use its probably without question we'll see a major shift to Displayport 1.2 exclusively for 4k monitors because Displayport is royalty fee free (versus the $10,000 a year for the license of HDMI) as well so the lack of any legally binding contractual obligations is very attractive as well.

4K push is coming from TV manufacturers, that also pushed for 1080p. Therefore everyone says that 4K is a TV standard, it is not a monitor standard, we have never had any resolution on computers that even closely resemble PAL or NTSC resolutions, until 1080P came. (maybe back in the day of 640x480, fairly close to NTSC)

Question is, where are all the display port connectors on say for example, AV Recievers, Blu Ray players and set top boxes...

That is why bother with HDMI? Because it is a standard, that pretty much all devices have these days.

4K is not going nowhere from a HDTV point of view. Lack of multimedia material in a world where consumers haven't even made the transition to Blu Ray.
Also the proven fact from people who have actually seen 4K HDTVs that to experience the change in picture quality one have to be quite close to the TV and in regular uses no one sits that close to a HDTV.

Computer use is another story. We all been waiting long for proper monitors at more than 30".

If this 4K 32" monitor is as good or better than the 27" and 30" monitors there is going to be a lot of people buying it.

The question is that I have been reading at other forums (avsforum) that the refresh rate of 4K panels at that resolution is only 30hz!

You guys are all missing what we all really want.........21:9 ratio, but bigger
Bring on the 3413 x 1440. Awesome in all ways.

The end

I have the 21:9 DELL U2913WM. The 21:9 it's a great idea but to really work for me it's got to be a 40"-50" one. My 29" 21:9 only have the height of a 20" monitor.

The question is that I have been reading at other forums (avsforum) that the refresh rate of 4K panels at that resolution is only 30hz!

4K TVs will be limited to 30Hz, due to HDMI 1.x limitations. (with exception of Toshiba TV, which uses special adapter to connect 4 HDMI inputs and reach 4K 60Hz on their 84inch and 55inch 4K TV). Once after HDMI 2.0 came out, we will hopefully have more 4K 60Hz TVs.

On the other hand, the lastest 4K PC monitor (Asus/Sharp) can already do 4K 60Hz thanks to DisplayPort connection.

4K TVs will be limited to 30Hz, due to HDMI 1.x limitations. (with exception of Toshiba TV, which uses special adapter to connect 4 HDMI inputs and reach 4K 60Hz on their 84inch and 55inch 4K TV). Once after HDMI 2.0 came out, we will hopefully have more 4K 60Hz TVs.

On the other hand, the lastest 4K PC monitor (Asus/Sharp) can already do 4K 60Hz thanks to DisplayPort connection.

Good info, thank you

Well that all rather depends on if you run it in specifications cause the Tcon can usually be smacked with more gbps than it is "rated" for.

Back