Dell 43 Ultra HD 4K Multi Client Monitor – P4317Q

HI all, new to the forum and found you by trawling the net for reviews of this most secretive of Dells. The stuff you guys have already posted is way more informative than anything else I can find, so thanks for that!

I'm a digital artist (using photoshop) by trade and looking to upgrade to a larger screen...preferably one large instead of two small (I currently have a Dell Ultrasharp U2713H and BenQ 24"). This Dell seems pretty awesome but I've yet to find a digital artist comment on it. The matte screen is ideal, just like my current Dell.

I'm no monitor tech expert and have little comprehension on what the PWM actually is/does or why it is bad. I never use my current monitor below 100% brightness...(why would you?)...So does that mean it wouldn't be a problem for me? Colour reproduction seems to be good from the drips and drabs of info i could find but if anyone could give any further advice I'd be very grateful.

Any of you who already have the monitor - have you had any artists look and comment on it?

You are running at 100% brightness? Do you calibrate your monitor? What is your cd/m2 values at 100% brightness?

You are running at 100% brightness? Do you calibrate your monitor? What is your cd/m2 values at 100% brightness?

Hi Kalex, yeah I run 100% brightness which doesn't seem all that bright to me on my Dell (perhaps because it's matte?) which comes factory set to adobeRGB out the box apparently. I don't have any means to calibrate so unsure what the cd/m2 values are. I'm guessing there is no way for me to find out without an instrument of some kind. As I say, I'm no monitor tech expert...far from it :S

How are there no pictures of the monitor yet with content on it?

Has anyone played games on it?

I recorded this about a month ago. Finally found time to throw this into an editor.
Brightness is varied so you can see how bad it gets.

Recorded using an iPhone 6S Plus @ 720P 240FPS. Rendered @ 720P 60FPS

0:00 100% speed 100% brightness (240fps capped at 60fps)
0:20 100% speed 50% brightness
0:26 100% speed 0% brightness
0:35 25% speed 100% brightness (60 fps)
1:55 25% speed 50% brightness
2:22 25% speed 0% brightness
2:58 12.5% speed 100% brightness (30fps)
5:39 12.5% speed 50% brightness
6:30 12.5% speed 0% brightness

I've got serious burn in, cables although looking good quality are shit, without any stress DP cable gave out and snapped a little bit.
Also sometimes HUB doesn't work, I don't know is this compatibility issue but in beginning worked. Now just stops responding sometimes and it takes 1-3 restarts to get it back.

For this kind of price I expected more from Dell.

I have one of these on order and it shows a shipping date of 10/13 - I'm guessing there is either a supply issue or a new revision...

I have one of these on order and it shows a shipping date of 10/13 - I'm guessing there is either a supply issue or a new revision...

I heard they are on engineering hold until they fix a bunch of these issues

Hope this does well because maybe they'll bring an upgraded model with HDMI 2.x and 10 bit full gamut for both HDR color and AdobeRGB. It sounds like Dell is serious enough about the quality to be examining for issues and then working on revisions to fix them. Does anyone know if the DP and Mini DP are separate inputs, meaning can I have two DP devices hooked up with the right cables and switch between them?

Got my P4317 today and also having image retention issues. With full brightness and full contrast you can see it after some seconds already..
Made some experiments and it looks like image retention is mostly showing up when contrast is higher then 50-60. With brightness 75 and contrast 50 it's almost not visible on image retention test after 5 minutes.. If the contrast is higher it's almost unusable. PWM flickering below 100% is also there..

See Dell P4317 for some sample images and tests.

Got mine with some discounts, but not sure if i should return it or see if i can life with it..

Everything else is great. The image looks really good and it's the perfect size for native 4k. The display has zero IPS glow and almost no color distortion. Best i have ever seen and i have two 32' premium 4k screens from Samsung here and the rest (uncalibrated currently) looks also great.. I wish there were other non-glossy monitor options.. Thinking on getting a 40' Iiyama or Philips with MVA panel, but the glossy screen is scaring me.. Don't want to sit in the dark the whole time.

2016-09-08 18.35.22.jpg 2016-09-08 18.21.35.jpg

Can current users recommend this monitor to be used in a scenario like this? A Dell Workstation running Redhat 7. Windows 10 is virtualized as a guest VM. Monitor split in to 4 1080p sections using 4 cables coming out of Nvidia M5000 video card. 3 of the displays are showing Red Hat, one is dedicated to the VM. Using full screen commands on apps/software on any single section uses its own designated 1080p area.

If possible can someone post a screen shot of this usage scenario? (does not have to be Red Hat with windows VM etc... ofcourse)

Received mine today - Here is my mini review...

It's Rev. A02, made in China, manufactured August 2016, firmware M2C103

Calibration with an i1 DisplayPro resulted in the following things of interest:

White points for presets (D65/6502K is the sRGB standard, for reference):

Standard - 9915K
Paper - 5474K
Warm - 6442K
Cool - 9872K
Custom for dead on 6502K resulted in settings of 97/83/73 (R/G/B)

For all practical purposes, "Warm" is virtually the same as the custom setting that I'm using. Interesting that the (much cheaper) Korean 4k 40 inch monitors that I've seen are also ridiculously blue. I wonder why this is...

Contrast calibrated at 81%. Brightness (cd/m2) was as follows:

100% - 322
90% - 290
80% - 263
70% - 234
60% - 206
50% - 176
40% - 147
30% - 118
20% - 88
10% - 58
0% - 27

I settled on 68%, which measured 230 cd/m2.

I noticed a bit of a text oddity when using putty with the standard size font. The vertical part of certain characters (brackets were one "[ ]") was very noticeably comprised of individual RGB bars stacked next to each other. From a distance this looks more like a blurred character than anything, but it's odd. I'll post a picture of this if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about.

Perhaps the most disturbing thing I've seen with this monitor thus far is that the backlight in the corners is very dim, to the point of it really standing out. At 230 cd/m2 my corner brightness measured between 111 (lower left) to 161 (upper right). Did I mention that it's very noticeable? There seems to be general backlight issues around the entire edges, but I didn't measure all the way around.

I did not get a chance to test image persistence yet.

Side note - there are no Dell docks (as confirmed with Dell) for the Precision M6700 running an NVidia K4000M that can do 60Hz 4k, only 30Hz. To get 60Hz I had to plug straight into the laptop. The difference between 30 and 60, for me, was very apparent. Not a huge deal...

As compared to the 27 inch version of this display, understanding that the panels are totally different, there is no comparison. The white point on the 27 was very nearly 6500k right out of the box and the backlight is incredibly consistent.

Ending on some positive notes:
-Tons of screen real estate. 43 inches is perfectly sized for native 4k viewing.
-Excellent build quality and appearance
-Beautiful looking picture overall, minus the corners/edges.

For the price premium, I don't know that I could recommend this over much cheaper Korean/LG alternatives.

Received mine today - Here is my mini review...

It's Rev. A02, made in China, manufactured August 2016, firmware M2C103

Calibration with an i1 DisplayPro resulted in the following things of interest:

White points for presets (D65/6502K is the sRGB standard, for reference):

Standard - 9915K
Paper - 5474K
Warm - 6442K
Cool - 9872K
Custom for dead on 6502K resulted in settings of 97/83/73 (R/G/B)

For all practical purposes, "Warm" is virtually the same as the custom setting that I'm using. Interesting that the (much cheaper) Korean 4k 40 inch monitors that I've seen are also ridiculously blue. I wonder why this is...

Contrast calibrated at 81%. Brightness (cd/m2) was as follows:

100% - 322
90% - 290
80% - 263
70% - 234
60% - 206
50% - 176
40% - 147
30% - 118
20% - 88
10% - 58
0% - 27

I settled on 68%, which measured 230 cd/m2.

I noticed a bit of a text oddity when using putty with the standard size font. The vertical part of certain characters (brackets were one "[ ]") was very noticeably comprised of individual RGB bars stacked next to each other. From a distance this looks more like a blurred character than anything, but it's odd. I'll post a picture of this if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about.

Perhaps the most disturbing thing I've seen with this monitor thus far is that the backlight in the corners is very dim, to the point of it really standing out. At 230 cd/m2 my corner brightness measured between 111 (lower left) to 161 (upper right). Did I mention that it's very noticeable? There seems to be general backlight issues around the entire edges, but I didn't measure all the way around.

Side note - there are no Dell docks (as confirmed with Dell) for the Precision M6700 running an NVidia K4000M that can do 60Hz 4k, only 30Hz. To get 60Hz I had to plug straight into the laptop. The difference between 30 and 60, for me, was very apparent. Not a huge deal...

As compared to the 27 inch version of this display, understanding that the panels are totally different, there is no comparison. The white point on the 27 was very nearly 6500k right out of the box and the backlight is incredibly consistent.

Ending on some positive notes:
-Tons of screen real estate. 43 inches is perfectly sized for native 4k viewing.
-Excellent build quality and appearance
-Beautiful looking picture overall, minus the corners/edges.

For the price premium, I don't know that I could recommend this over much cheaper Korean/LG alternatives.

Could you test 4 inputs @1080p and post a screenshot or a picture of it please?

Can you update on the above items?

Text oddity resolved or does it continue?
Backlight, is it a show stopper?
Image Retention/Persistence - Have you had a chance to see how badly this is happening? Show stopper? I'm hoping with the new Rev and Aug 2016 manufacture date/M2C103 firmware that most concerns are resolved or very minimal.

I plan on using for desktop 95% of the time (Web Dev, Photoshop/InDesign etc... 5% gaming/video...)

Still looking for a full review of this monitor, I hope they can remedy the issues...

Question - Is the image retention issue still a problem after a number of months of use? Is it getting better or worse with use?

Had no idea Dell made a 4k this big... would have thought they would knock it out of the park as I have liked all the monitors I have previously purchased from them (although not necessarily laptop monitors...).

I see it is not part of the UltraSharp series? I'm wondering if this is why... although it would have probably been triple the price if it were.

I have had this monitor for about a month now.

Despite a few flaws, it is AMAZING. I do embedded hardware/software engineering, and I constantly swap out different prototype devices (hdmi, dvi, vga). Previously with 1 monitor with many inputs, or 2 monitors, I would have to keep switching inputs and not be able to do "real work" at the same time.

Other 4k monitors that do PBP still report 4k to clients = USELESS. I can't keep reconfiguring new devices to 1080p

My setup, quad view:
Left half = Workstation via mDP + DP (1920x2160)
Right half = 2 random sources of HDMI/HDMI/VGA @ 1080p

I have every port on this monitor filled. The USB3.0 hub has been very reliable under Linux *important*, yes you need a short extension cable to expose one to the front. USB charges my Google Pixel > 1.5A.

I hope to program the RS-232 interface to allow spontaneous 4K viewing of workstation, and easily toggling between VGA/HDMI for right side.

Ghosting: Only happens on HDMI inputs on the right, fades in a few minutes. I have never seen it on DP workstation.

The bezel does have some shadow, probably fixable with underscan, in Linux less of an issue.

Colours and overall picture quality, I give it an 8.5/10. Build quality 10. Features 10. Speakers 10 (very impressed by quality, even electronic music with lots of bass). Menu system 8 (buttons often double press), use RS-232 API instead!

Attached is a picture of my setup.

Attachments

• hard_forum.jpg
    hard_forum.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 755
Looking at this monitor, over the Philips 43" offering, because it seems better, but is it? Been using TV as Monitor (32" Sony Bravia 1920 * 1080 2009-2014, Seiki 39" 4K @ 30Hz since 2014), interested in Displayport 60Hz and multimonitor capability from the same graphics card. Not many user reviews out there, just loads of market fluff from mid 2016. Have the 'image burn in' problems been fixed? Is gaming good? Are there other issues? (Australia here, NewEgg prices same as Amazon, almost same as Dell locally (which has additional 10% Goods and Services tax, on top of the damned exchange rate debacle, $AU1 = $US0.74 at the moment)

Be interested to read other people's experiences. Already saw Kevin's enthusiastic review two posts up. https://hardforum.com/members/kevinf28.295793/

Hi all,
Sorry I cannot find my old H forums account so I had to make a new one. I have just received this monitor and I would like to post some of my findings about this piece of hardware. First off, I have used pretty much every kind of software you can find under the sun, I have used a lot of 4K monitors, I have used a crap ton of 1080p monitors. Some applications will not act nice with a screen using 4K. I wanna address one issue with this post and that is the issue of text looking burly with this monitor. It is 100% an application issue.

http://imgur.com/a/Sxbxh

I realize that this picture is not 100% lined up. I would like you to focus on the pixels next to the top most part of the W in the middle. Notice the difference in pixels next to it.

I have seen very crisp, clean text. At the same time I have also seen semi blurry text. I have a feeling that font hinting is the issue. I am probably one of the few people that use a 4K monitor at native resolution and have no scaling effects enabled. To my surprise a line of pixels in a | is only 1 pixel wide. Sitting what I would assume is about 3 ft away from this monitor, I can read text that is 1 pixel wide.

Here is a pic of what I mean. Text that is 100% BLACK EDGE TO EDGE.
Or text that is 100% BLACK in the middle then, fades.

I have seen people post youtube videos about screen flicker. I have a feeling that those people did not read the manual. The monitor states that the unit only supports 60 Hz with a displayport cable. This is true, and I for one notice a HUGE improvement from a HDMI cable. Blah blah blah, whether or not there is a difference between the cables, THIS monitor will only do 60 Hz with a displayport cable plugged into it.

I only play a few games here and there. Haven’t got much seat time with this monitor but I can tell you that some people focus on that 16ms response time, I know I did. I can only say this one way, DON’T.

I will responsed to questions, but I am kinda stacked at this time, so , it will take some time.

Look like it's a BGR pixel arrangement. Windows defaults to RGB, run cleartype. It should help you out.

It's insane that there is absolutely no professional review of this monitor online.

It's been getting heavily discounted these past couple of months.

What is the current revision?

I just ordered one to see how it compares to my $300 Samsung 4k TV that I'm currently using as a monitor.

It's insane that there is absolutely no professional review of this monitor online.

It's been getting heavily discounted these past couple of months.

What is the current revision?
I've never seen this on sale anywhere in Canada unfortunately :( but I'd still like to see more reviews too and if there is still a burn in issue.

Here is a professional review by =Dead=
https://3dnews.ru/944985/page-2.html

Bottom line it's not that good. It's noteworthy that the Dell reps sent him the old A00 revision.
He writes that the low frequency PWM is problematic and easy to notice in the peripheral vision.
The sample also makes a low buzzing sound, the color accuracy and uniformity are so-so and also there is the burn in.

Among the positives are wide brightness range (36-428), light matte coating, good gradients, solid black uniformity and the viewing angles.

Last edited:
So is it really really matte? From the pictures here it looks like it, but from the replies i'm unsure, as these days they call TV matte even when it is semi-gloss. Is it as matte as ie. dell 2408wfp?

Also i guess as they are pushing it as monitor there is no HDMI CEC support. Do you know of device that would fake "TV" on the HDMI CEC bus?

While it wasn't the most enjoyable API to work with, it does everything I wanted it to.

RS-232 serial management bash scripts to control the PBP and input switching under Linux.. pretty easy to port to Windows if you know what your doing.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19995591/20988631#20988631

Has anyone confirmed ghosting on DisplayPort interfaces? I have seen NONE. HDMI ghosting seems to have improved over time as well.

http://www.dell.com/support/article...43-inch-multi-client-monitor---p4317q?lang=EN has some good information re: retention, USB hub, and window shift.

I tried the monitor setting for Underscan and it solves the shadow effect along the edges, but the crispness of text is lost. I will look into Linux settings instead.

Last edited:
The low price leads me to believe it won't be that good for pc monitor or gaming but for tv and movies it would be fine. Definitely wait for user reviews.

Any more owner reports on this thing? Rev2 still the latest? Any changes in the PWM in rev2?

I have had this monitor at work for about 5 months now and absolutley love it. It's my first large monitor over 27" and 43" is just perfect with 4k. The software works great as well and can split the screen in about 20 different ways.

Reason I came to the thread as I am going to order another one of these 43" dell's for home today but wanted to see what other options are out there for this size (no tv)

I just ordered one for 812.00 landed plus 6.5% sales tax. I will have it in 2 days. Anyone interested in a mint LG34UC87C-B? Local pickup only.

I have had this monitor at work for about 5 months now and absolutley love it. It's my first large monitor over 27" and 43" is just perfect with 4k. The software works great as well and can split the screen in about 20 different ways.

Reason I came to the thread as I am going to order another one of these 43" dell's for home today but wanted to see what other options are out there for this size (no tv)
Any issues with PWM sensitivity on this?

20170707_145738.jpg
20170707_145905.jpg
I just go mine. It is enormous . I fired up Battlefield 1 just for shits and giggles and it is spectacular

Last edited:
looks pretty, have one on order but it may get canceled because of wrong price :(

Last edited:
Last one my old employer paid for. I got a new job, no seniority. Bought 2nd one out of pocket !
Compared to my shortlist (Wasabi Mango UHD400/30, LG 43UD79-B).... I really appreciate the 3 year warranty. ZERO dead pixels guaranteed. Easy returns/service (direct through Dell).

On sale for $1000 CAD ($736 USD) shipped! Its Rev A02, manufactured 2017. I instantly upgraded to M2C104 firmware. I haven't seen ANY image retention, even over HDMI. Absolutely FLAWLESS. I haven't done any PWM tests, but eyes are not bothered, I run at 75% contrast/brightness in "Warm" colour mode.

That RS-232 interface is killer, just impressed the hell out of my boss when I switched from Quad (1920x2160 workstation + 1080p test equip + 1080p test equip) to 4K test equip.
https://12noon.com/?page_id=80 (command line resolution setting software)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psexec (remote execution and transfers binary)

Little harder in Windows to do what I did previously in Linux with Bash, but it'll do.
Here is my script, a little rough, but it works.. https://pastebin.com/yY6GHdqU

Only "surprise" was this layout is not available... 3 way portrait layout has the large section on the right, which doesn't work at my desk, and it appeared limited to 1080p! Using 2 cables to workstation and creating an AMD SLS (1920x2160) setup worked around it effortlessly, used the same as configured previously in Linux.
----|---|
| ~ |---|
----|---|

Talk to me about the firmware upgrade . How do I obtain it and how do I execute the update?

Back