Dell 32-Inch Curved S3220DGF: 165Hz with FreeSync 2

2560 × 1440
165 Hz
4 ms GtG
400 cd/m²

Available Aug. 28

Using a chinese panel. MSRP $600. Hoping for ebay derivatives by end of the year :)

I'm also skeptical about the 165hz refresh on a VA panel. Unless panel makers have discovered some secret vertical alignment sauce...

I'm also skeptical about the 165hz refresh on a VA panel. Unless panel makers have discovered some secret vertical alignment sauce...

They haven't. However, it's still useful in minimizing input lag and stutter, even with VRR, but for gaming it's recommended to run them at 120Hz as the overdrive tuning depends on refresh rate (or really frame time).

Some people are just obsessed with having the biggest spec, whatever it is. 4K in this case.

ofc theres bitter ppl who're confused obsession with desire for quality of life, and I never said anything about four k
you've mistaken x2160 as being the best resolution in twenty nineteen

Uh, you said Hell yes aside from the resolution (meaning other than...) so you say there are many things wrong but only list 1? Do you have the monitor?

when monitors are switched to higher hertz, it won't show correct sharpness.

Many games don't support over 60fps or 120fps

Last edited:
when monitors are switched to higher hertz, it won't show correct sharpness.

Many games don't support over 60fps or 120fps
What?? Lol man that's the biggest load of shit I've heard , this isn't a CRT and yes games do support over 60fps, and over 120fps... And that doesn't answer any of my questions

Some people are just obsessed with having the biggest spec, whatever it is. 4K in this case.
ofc theres bitter ppl who're confused obsession with desire for quality of life, and I never said anything about four k
you've mistaken x2160 as being the best resolution in twenty nineteen
I'm with you on this. I know that this is primarily a gaming focuses forum, but I use my monitor for a lot more than that. Yes, I absolutely feel that resolutions higher than 1440p makes text a LOT clearer. All the way up to 5K at 27" I feel's justified. Of course, you have to give up refresh rate at that high a resolution (just because it's a dead resolution and they're no longer making better displays for it), which is why I think 4K is a very healthy compromise. Even if you have to turn down settings in games, it's not worth it to buy multiple monitors, one for gaming and one for everything else.

it's not worth it to buy multiple monitors, one for gaming and one for everything else.

If you're dead set on using only one monitor, okay -- I average four. Sometimes three, sometimes five, for the last decade or so at home.

Yes, I can use just one fine, and do that on other setups.

But you don't have to. I'd expect most gamers to have two, with a second for social stuff and performance monitoring. I paid US$100 for each of the 24" IPS panels I use vertically stacked to one side.

Heres the biggest problem that lg (SHIT) and most other 165hz monitors requires 165fps min fps all the time to get good response time going/ motion resolution, when this condition isn't met, entire picture quality turns to blurry looking piece of shit, game developers don't roll out games with support for 165fps in mind, if you can't see how flawed 165hz is, then you're a stuck up dumb trash at best.
This is exactly the reason why variable refresh rate (HDMI VRR, Freesync, and G-sync) is so important.

I've had this monitor a few days now, plugged into a Lenovo Legion Y740 17" with RTX 2080. The best picture quality i've had on a monitor (typically i've used Samsung or LG monitors)

Bump, following up. I posted over I. The deals thread about my experience with this monitor so far but also wanted to post here.

been running one for over a month now and very happy with it. My friend bought two and between the three systems we’ve got a 5700xt, gtx 1080 and rtx 2070 super. The GTX card has an issue with the display intermittently blanking when freesync is enabled, but we haven’t had time to see if it is the cable or some issue with that particular screen (or his card).

really liking it so far - picture quality is good to me, colors are nice and not overdone (I’m not a pro, haven’t done any calibration) and I definitely like the high refresh.

only weirdness so far is the inability to choose anything other than 60hz or 165hz as a static refresh rate. It also has some auto dimming function on the backlight that seems to go off on mine frequently in game menus (not noticeable during gameplay). I thought I’d turned it off so I’m not sure what it is.

not seeing any flickering and at about 3’ viewing distance I don’t mind the lower dpi either.

for comparison, other displays I’ve used recently:

dell u2414h
Dell u2715h
Dell u3415w
Visio e43-f1

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back