Dell 3011U unreadable (fuzzy, blurry) at 2560x1600

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
New Dell 3011U, plugged into a HD6450 1GB (supports 2560x1600) using the DVI cables (tried both) that came with the monitor. Windows 7 64-bit, installed latest Catalyst (today), installed Dell 3011U driver from Dell web site. Display is unreadable at 2560x1600. See screenshot below. It's semi-decently readable at 1440x900 but obviously that isn't the point of having a 30" display. The first pic isn't fuzzy because of a shitty camera (though the camera is shitty), it's actually that blurry IRL too.

WP_000007.jpg

WP_000008.jpg

Don't understand why this is happening. The OS clearly recognizes the monitor and the gfx card, correctly identifying that it should run at 2560x1600. The second image was taken at 1440x900 so the font is a bit sharper.

Any idea at all what the issue could be? Never seen anything like it before

This is weird, normally I'd say use the cable that came w/ the monitor, but you already tried that. Is this a new monitor or did you buy used? If used, the previous owner could've shipped it w/ a single link DVI cable.

Had the same problem w/ my U3011 but that was b/c I used a single link DVI cable.

This turned out to be the case. BOTH cables that were in the 3011U box were single layer DVI cables. It actually said as much on the actual cables though obviously I had no reason to assume that those cables would not work. Makes me wonder how many other screens were sent out with the wrong cables.

Once I the single link was replaced everything ended up working fine.

hi, sorry for the bump, but I just got this monitor and experiencing exactly this.

I'm using a DVI-D
Dvid-2.jpg

When I use 2560x1600 im experiencing like what the OP did, but when I lowered it to 1920x1080 it looks fine.

Text are fuzzy on 2560x1600, but images are fine. :/

Damn the 2 year bump. lol.

If it's a 3011 I suggest just getting a Display port cable and see if that fixes it. It should...

Also make sure you have all your scaling settings set to default so as not to interfere with the built in scaler on the 3011.

Damn the 2 year bump. lol.

If it's a 3011 I suggest just getting a Display port cable and see if that fixes it. It should...

Also make sure you have all your scaling settings set to default so as not to interfere with the built in scaler on the 3011.

I was just googling and found this problem here and registered :D

problem is the display port is defective on this one since i just got this for $200. XD

I'm using an AMD card and I've defaulted the settings in the Catalyst Control Center

I was just googling and found this problem here and registered :D

problem is the display port is defective on this one since i just got this for $200. XD

I'm using an AMD card and I've defaulted the settings in the Catalyst Control Center

Ouch. Thats a good deal but i wonder if the scaler in the display itself is effed. To be clear, you do have a Dual Link DVI output on your GPU, right?

Was this an issue beforehand? or did it just happen one day.

Ouch. Thats a good deal but i wonder if the scaler in the display itself is effed. To be clear, you do have a Dual Link DVI output on your GPU, right?

Was this an issue beforehand? or did it just happen one day.

Yep, I'm using an R9 270x

I'm not sure if this happened before I bought it tho.

Try plugging it into the bottom port (The one with VGA support). On of the DVI ports may be single link.

Try plugging it into the bottom port (The one with VGA support). On of the DVI ports may be single link.

This.

Those older Radeons only come equipped with 1 dual link DVI port.

The monitor is displaying symptoms of how things look when running 2560+ with a single link cable.

Either that or the cable is fucked.

Already plugged in the bottom, no dice.

Do you guys think an HDMI 1.4 can do the job?

I'll try to find another DVI-D cable.

I assume you've gone through and made sure its not an aspect ratio setting in the OSD, right?

Back