Dell 3008WFP refuses to scale 1080p correctly

kasakka

2[H]4U
Has any other Dell 3008WFP owner ran into this issue? Using 1920x1080 resolution in games always scales the resolution to full screen, which stretches the image vertically. It seems that the display just completely ignores the display's 1:1/aspect/fill setting in this particular resolution.

This only seems to happen in some games, original Crysis and Dead Space being two. Crysis Warhead for some reason works correctly in 1080p.

It also seems that no matter what I do I can't force on Nvidia scaling with aspect ratio, it just goes back to the Nvidia scaling that fills the screen.

Huh, I have a Dell 30"er, and can't say I've ever seen anything stretch improperly to fit the screen. GTX480s here.

It seems that if I first set the res in Windows to 1080p, then I can enable the Nvidia scaling with aspect setting and have the afore-mentioned games run in correct aspect ratio. Very strange.

I should mention that I have two 30"ers and one 37"er that's 1080p.

So, by default I've already done what you mentioned without giving it any thought since one monitor is native 1080p, so wouldn't have ever have known the difference or even been the wiser as a result.

But y, 16:9 and 4:3 has always displayed on my 30"ers without stretching.

Ok, I managed to solve this problem. It seems that something is a bit wonky in the 3008WFP A02 EDID or something, because when I tried my display with my Macbook Pro via Displayport, it didn't show 1920x1080 res even as available! I used SwitchResX to add it and it scaled correctly.

In Windows 7 I fixed this by adding a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel and setting the Timing to GTF. Now scaling works as it should for this resolution as well.

I also noticed that the scaler in the 3008WFP is FAR superior to the Nvidia scaling option. Nvidia scaling makes lower resolution blurry while the display's own scaler keeps them quite sharp.

Back