Dell 3008WFP - custom 2560x1440 resolution

kasakka

2[H]4U
Anyone got 2560x1440 resolution working on this display?

I tried adding it as a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel and with the timing setting set to Automatic it does actually work (correct res with no problems) but the software says "test failed". I tried setting the timing to any of the other values but I just get a garbled picture that way, only the automatic setting or switching from that to manual (which just keeps the automatic setting values) works. The display still reports the resolution as 2560x1600 though.

So in short the display can do it, but the Nvidia software doesn't want to let it.

Last edited:
I really don't know why you'd want to give up those pixels..

But there are two ways of doing this.

The first is to stretch 1440 over the 1600 pixels on the display, which would look like shit.

The second, is to set black bars at the top and bottom (again, I see no good reason).

As far as I know, nVidia nor AMD can do this via Control Panel.

Mainly for games that offer a significantly wider FOV at 16:9. No other reason. As I said, the Nvidia control panel doesn't allow me to set that resolution even though technically it works.

I know that in ATI driver you can choose GPU scaling and the GPU will scale whatever resolution you chose to the native resolution while keeping the aspect ratio. There's probably a choice in nvidia too.

I know that in ATI driver you can choose GPU scaling and the GPU will scale whatever resolution you chose to the native resolution while keeping the aspect ratio. There's probably a choice in nvidia too.

GPU scaling is not an option. It produces a noticeably more blurry image compared to the hardware scaler in the Dell.

It's probably a two fold issue of the Nvidia drivers doing wonky things with the custom resolution thing and the display configuration file not having that particular resolution in it.

This is a very old thread of mine, but it seems that nowadays you CAN get 2560x1440 by adding a custom resolution in driver control panel. Possibly fixed in some driver update.

Back