Dell 3007 WFP LCD Monitor at $2200

squeezee said:
The extremetech review also confirms the feeling i've had about the monitor all along, that it has no internal image scaler; since it lacks any sort of analog input and only lists two supported display modes. It looks very unlikely that you can hook this upto any sort of standard HD equipment such as an upconverting dvd player or set-top HDTV box and get more than a 1:1 window in the middle of the display.

It is nice to see that the overall quality of the panel is good though. The question now is should i upgrade from the 24" dell; this thing will be killer for games, both in awesomeness and in how far i'll have to kill the settings even on a 7800GTX SLI setup.

im in the same boat as you .. i have a 24 inch dell .. dunno if i should upgrade or not

If you have the video card power and the big bucks to use this for gaming then I say go for it. If you want a monitor for anything other than PC use then save your money and buy and LCD TV. We recently purchased a beautiful Sharp 32" LCD TV that's HD ready for less than $1,600.

I have the 2001fp and I am really thinking about upgrading... but I want to wait until the price w/coupon is $1500 or less.

Dell seems to have skimped on this though, no analog inputs, no video scalar, and a higher price than the previous monitors compared to their competition? If anything the big bad boy should have more features than the little siblings, not be stripped down.

I guess I am also going to have to wait for X1600 AGP cards to find out, as I am having trouble finding any AGP dual-link cards that are affordable at the moment. The resolution on that thing would be great though... 1600x1200 is starting to feel small.

And to answer the other persons question about why someone might need that:
On a typical day when I'm working on my computer, I'll have open several word/excel/powerpoint files at once, have to move things in between, plus have a web browser open to look things up and download images, winamp running to give me some background music, and who knows what else. Nice to be able to just drag across the screen instead of alt-tab all the time.

When I'm just playing around I'll have 5 or more open IM windows, plus winamp, Opera, maybe a video window showing a TV show I've downloaded or a webcam window, plus the explorer view of the folder with my MP3s or video files in it. It all takes up space pretty fast, the more you have, the better off you are.

jetjaguar said:
im in the same boat as you .. i have a 24 inch dell .. dunno if i should upgrade or not

or do like me, move the 2405 to your backup or kids rig. :D

grdh20 said:
or do like me, move the 2405 to your backup or kids rig. :D
you're crazy

I guess my 2005FPW is looking small these days. I'll wait until you 30 inchers start selling off the 2405s I guess.

CRXican said:
you're crazy

I guess my 2005FPW is looking small these days. I'll wait until you 30 inchers start selling off the 2405s I guess.

Once you start going bigger... it is hard to stop.

And to think I was happy with an SVGA 15" CRT for 5 years...

jetjaguar said:
do not upgrade, just use a 2405 and a 3007! :p

Right now I am inclined to think that this 3007 won't be the huge seller the 2405 was/is, but I am thinking of getting one, once my computer is AMD dual-core and has a X1600 PCI-X.

NulloModo said:
I guess I am also going to have to wait for X1600 AGP cards to find out, as I am having trouble finding any AGP dual-link cards that are affordable at the moment...

According to Anandtech, the Radeon 9600 Pro Mac & PC Edition has 2 DVI ports (one of which is a DUAL-LINK dvi port, the other is SINGLE-LINK). It can drive the Dell 3007 and the Apple 30.

So this ATI 9600 card could be for someone who does NOT even want a mid-level 3D graphics card.

However, within a few months, the X1600 cards should be cheaper and widely available so there may not any need to get this 9600 MAC/PC dual-link DVI card, when the X1600 offers better performance at a cheaper price...

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2502&p=2

Recent PriceGrabber pricing for this card ....

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__ATI_...C_Mac_Edition,__11576462/sort_type=bottomline

I may just end up getting a second 2405fpw instead.... with the new price drops, im expecting it to hit the 400 dollar mark with discounts.

Someone ("MyDiscover"} posted on 1/6/2006 and claimed to have ordered SIX of these 3007s thru Dell Small Business for $1649.25 each (with free next day shipping)

MyDiscover wrote "What is there to explain? Just call up a Dell smallbusiness senior rep and tell them what deal you want to buy 6 of them.. They will speak to there manager and either do it for you or not.. Depends on how much business you have given them... "

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/565912/

So anyone with a Dell business account interested in helping fellow [H] users get a group discount on the 3007? ;)

The 7800GT - GTX can drive the 3007 as each card has one dual link DVI port.

hodiscuss said:
Someone ("MyDiscover"} posted on 1/6/2006 and claimed to have ordered SIX of these 3007s thru Dell Small Business for $1649.25 each (with free next day shipping)

MyDiscover wrote "What is there to explain? Just call up a Dell smallbusiness senior rep and tell them what deal you want to buy 6 of them.. They will speak to there manager and either do it for you or not.. Depends on how much business you have given them... "

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/565912/

So anyone with a Dell business account interested in helping fellow [H] users get a group discount on the 3007? ;)

allot of pissing and moaning going on over at that site. gave me a headache. :rolleyes: The credit for the ext 2 yr. warranty is only about $21.00 according to my $1869 order. Not worth cancelling. basically with Dell business, you make an offer and they put you on hold and if it's accepted, great.

grdh20 said:
allot of pissing and moaning going on over at that site. gave me a headache. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I noticed that too. The guy who said he got the discount also said he bought 6. I'm pretty sure if you're buying $13,200 worth of merchandise, it'd be pretty easy to get a discount on that from Dell. Buying in bulk always saves.

Ockie said:
I may just end up getting a second 2405fpw instead.... with the new price drops, im expecting it to hit the 400 dollar mark with discounts.

The second that happens, I will buy 3 of them... Hell, if I could get one for $700, i would buy it now

lol first i have to find a way to talk dell down from 2199 .. i was like can i at least get free shipping .. she is like no .. LOL

this sucks .. im talking to dell .. and they are like no u cant order from dell canada .. and no we cant match the price .. its 2199 .. and we cant give any price breaks LOL

anyone here from canada lol

I'm in Canada.. But shipping that beast to the US from here would probably add enough in shipping and duties to not make it worth it.

NulloModo said:
Or if you know anyone in a tax free state (DE, NH, or OR) have it shipped there and reshipped to you ;).

How about having it shipped to one of those states where you have a private mail forwarding service. And then have the service ship it to where your home really is. :D

The Dell 3007 is a fantastic Monitor with that resolution but the price is
a bit to high, I think I'll wait for the Dell 2407 and see the difference in
price and connections

P.S. This can be a silly question, but what are Coupons?

man if i could get a better deal on the 3007 i'd be all over it .. just every rep i speak to tells me no discounts lol .. not even free shipping since its so new ..

Dew said:
I suppose the monster optical audio cable is required for an optimal experience over a cheapy $10 optical too.

the one that dell wants you to buy is a VIDEO cable, not an Audio cable. I'm going to guess they want you to buy that cable just like noone drives a Lambo w/ regular unleaded

Nascar24 said:
Huh? No its not the same rez, Dont know why anyone would need that rez for normal use but for shear size and how great a pc monitor the 37" Wesinghouse makes it blows the Dell away in price and value alone. Its very apples and oranges. Who needs more than 1920x1080 for just about anything including desktop and games at this point? Not many! :rolleyes:

a lot more than you think. I need 4 of those 30" at 2560x1600, preferably 6 to 8,but w/ SLI, all we can get is 4 w/ today's technology if I stick w/ HP. W/ no name brand, they have 4 x Video card PCI Express 16.

I suppose now is a good time to ask if anyone knows of any windows resizing windows. For e.g.:

If you have one screen open at cnn.com, in which if your screen is max. out at 2560x1600, more than 1/2 of that 2560x1600 is wasted, because cnn.com is sized at 640x1024 or 640x1280 etc.

Likewise, I could have a software like WordPerfect open and needed only 1280x1600 window opened.

Now, w/ a 2560x1600 res., I don't want to manually resize a window size each time I load up all those software.

Is there a software that can memorize the size setting of each software that I open so that each software can open nice and neat, line up size by size within a 2560x1600 screen?

Happy Hopping: said:
Is there a software that can memorize the size setting of each software that I open so that each software can open nice and neat, line up size by size within a 2560x1600 screen?
The only software I can think of that remotely does what you're asking for is Ultramon.

PS. What in this wide world can you possibly do that requires 6-8 30" monitors for??

Happy Hopping said:

http://www.southbaypc.com/AutoSizer/

I know this program, the problem is that it resizes but places the window in the middle of the screen and you have to move the window to where you want it. The other problem is that it doesn't memorize the size, you have to manually set the size for every window.

If somebody finds a program that solves the mentioned problems, please let me know.

APOLLO said:
The only software I can think of that remotely does what you're asking for is Ultramon.

PS. What in this wide world can you possibly do that requires 6-8 30" monitors for??

From that web site:
The UltraMon wallpaper manager adds the ability to use a different picture on each monitor, or stretch a single picture across the desktop.

Does windows XP Pro to that? Anyhow, do you use it? What do you think of it? And when I go to the download page, what's a MSI file?

As to your other question: Equities monitoring

Back to the topic, has anyone try the 30 days trial of a similar software from www.9xmedia.com

http://www.9xmedia.com/Pages-software/Multi-screen-Manager.html

Man id love to jump in and buy one of these but the only thing stopping me is i have never seen someone game on a Dell 20 in or 24in moniter, Id hate to go from my 22in Nec CRT to a LCD and not be happy. All i do is game so this moniter wouldnt be used for anything else on this rig.

Happy Hopping said:
Does windows XP Pro to that? Anyhow, do you use it? What do you think of it? And when I go to the download page, what's a MSI file?
I used to use it, now I have too many windows covering the wallpaper to care about that :p

btw, there's a manual way to do it.

I'll wait 'till the 3007 hits the $1400 mark before I start thinking about selling my 2405. I love my 2405 and I especially love the multitude on video inputs it can take. I'm very disappointed in the fact that the 3007 didnt evolve from the 2405 in this regard... only DVI??? Come on Dell... :( .

jetjaguar said:
this sucks .. im talking to dell .. and they are like no u cant order from dell canada .. and no we cant match the price .. its 2199 .. and we cant give any price breaks LOL

anyone here from canada lol

Me, but yes, shipping + customs duties would probably eat a big chunk of the discount. then again, it's like a $400-$500 discount between the cheaper Canadian price vs. the American price.

anyone know when these things are out in the uk? i was told mid jan few weeks ago but dell are saying there is no fix date now:/

has anyone actually ordered one yet ?? just curious to see how fast they shipped it out

Happy Hopping said:
a lot more than you think. I need 4 of those 30" at 2560x1600, preferably 6 to 8,but w/ SLI, all we can get is 4 w/ today's technology if I stick w/ HP. W/ no name brand, they have 4 x Video card PCI Express 16.

Thats great and all for you but 95 percent of the people out there dont need that kind of rez for everyday use.

StalkerZER0 said:
How about having it shipped to one of those states where you have a private mail forwarding service. And then have the service ship it to where your home really is. :D

Didn't know such a thing existed ;) I've been lucky to live my conscious life entirely within NH and DE so I have only had to deal with sales tax when I drive over to PA, MD, or NJ (or beyond) still always surprises me at the register.

Back