Dell 28 Ultra HD 4k (3840x2160) Monitor - P2815Q - $405

Not being 60hz is such a deal breaker for me. I don't really mind it being a TN panel, but come on, it at least has to be 60hz

you guys think this monitor will be a huge difference over my current 2k monitor? (24" HP 1900x1200)

you guys think this monitor will be a huge difference over my current 2k monitor? (24" HP 1900x1200)

Depends entirely on what you're using it for. If it's just browsing and Office, yes, a huge improvement at least in size and resolution; If it's for gaming, then, no, a big step back due to the refresh limitation.

Also what type of panel is your HP monitor? If it's IPS or PVA, than this Dell will be even a further step back.

Holy crap this is cheap. I was originally looking at this and then the Asus PB287Q, but decided to hold off on 4k for a while and was going to go with the Asus PB278Q (27" 1440p monitor).

Would you guys recommend this from a productivity standpoint? I don't game very much (or at all nowadays). I use my computer mainly for development and browsing the web. I will have to upgrade my GPU though since it doesn't support 4k at all.

Holy crap this is cheap. I was originally looking at this and then the Asus PB287Q, but decided to hold off on 4k for a while and was going to go with the Asus PB278Q (27" 1440p monitor).

Would you guys recommend this from a productivity standpoint? I don't game very much (or at all nowadays). I use my computer mainly for development and browsing the web. I will have to upgrade my GPU though since it doesn't support 4k at all.

I think the target market for this monitor is for productivity. That is a whole lot of real estate for stuff on screen.

Unless you have better than 20/20 eyesight, I cannot see this monitor as being great for productivity. 4K res is too tiny at 28"

The best single panel options for productivity right now is the 4K 39" Seiki (which actually can be found cheaper than this monitor) and the LG 34UM95. Just my opinion...

Yeah.. this monitor does not strike me as being great for productivity either. Better options out there.

I was seriously considering this dell or a seki 39" but settled on a HP ZR2740w (27" 2560x1440) and let me say not having owned an ips monitor this thing rocks. I am also surprised how much horsepower is needed to game at 2560x1440, I would imagine at 4k you would be in a world of hurt minus 2 290's in crossfire :) . All that being said this is a very nice deal on this monitor.

Not being 60hz is such a deal breaker for me. I don't really mind it being a TN panel, but come on, it at least has to be 60hz

This is targeted at people for office and general use that want a "high-end" monitor without paying $1k or more, 60hz 4k monitors are a lot more expensive for a reason.

I was seriously considering this dell or a seki 39" but settled on a HP ZR2740w (27" 2560x1440) and let me say not having owned an ips monitor this thing rocks. I am also surprised how much horsepower is needed to game at 2560x1440, I would imagine at 4k you would be in a world of hurt minus 2 290's in crossfire :) . All that being said this is a very nice deal on this monitor.

Like the Seiki I would guess this could run 120hz @ 1440p so it might be a good option for someone looking for a 120hz monitor at that resolution if they don't want a Korean one.

This is targeted at people for office and general use that want a "high-end" monitor without paying $1k or more, 60hz 4k monitors are a lot more expensive for a reason.

Considering you can get 4k 60hz for only $250 more ASUS PB287Q Black 28" 4K, this Dell seems like a lousy deal to me. If it was $199 or less, I would probably blow money on it just to mess with it, but 30hz has so many restrictions on the desktop it's just not practical for daily use, imo.

This is targeted at people that dont have a clue what refresh rate even means.

And scaling in Windows sucks so have fun with that. :eek:

This is targeted at people that dont have a clue what refresh rate even means.

And scaling in Windows sucks so have fun with that. :eek:

So when is 30Hz vs 60Hz refresh relevant for "office use"...

I wasn't aware we need 60Hz for Office and Excel.

That depends on how extreme you are. If it's anything like hackers in anime and movies, 30Hz isn't fast enough. All that scrolling text and crap just looks like a blur.

I agree that 30 Hz is something to avoid if you play any game outside of Windows Minesweeper and Solitaire.

Back