Dell 2711 vs 3007 vs 3008 for gaming?

The whole lag issue kills me. I've played every kind of game (FPS, RPG, RTS, etc.) and watched HDTV, DVDs, videos, etc. on my 3008. I've never noticed the slightest hint of lag. It's an amazing LCD. However, if I were buying an LCD right now I'd probably choose the u2711. Nearly the same resolution as the 3008 in a smaller frame, lots of inputs and less expensive make quite a nice package.

Well, the main issue was that the 3008 could be had for the same price as a u2711 now. But apparently the 2711 is the higher quality display so for me I decided to go with the smaller size regardless.

The higher ratio... the more you see vertically... how is that a hard concept?

Please make it clear what is your opinion and what is fact. You have several times mentioned your opinion as fact and the fact that you have written your own ray tracer is utterly irrelevant and doesn't make your opinion more qualified.

You are correct that you can flip my statement upside down and still be perfectly logically. However you do see how silly you are being do you not? Because there are two ways of doing things doesn't mean it just boils down to opinion. Sometimes one way is just obviously better than the other. See this for illustration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGArqoF0TpQ&feature=PlayList&p=D2FF18CFF7716816&index=8

You have to consider our eyes are placed side by side and not on top of each other. This actually flips my "opinion" of how wide screens should work to actual fact. I honestly wonder why you are even arguing with me unless you have a better way of doing widescreen resolutions with games with fov.

You are correct that you can flip my statement upside down and still be perfectly logically. However you do see how silly you are being do you not? Because there are two ways of doing things doesn't mean it just boils down to opinion. Sometimes one way is just obviously better than the other. See this for illustration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGArqoF0TpQ&feature=PlayList&p=D2FF18CFF7716816&index=8

You have to consider our eyes are placed side by side and not on top of each other. This actually flips my "opinion" of how wide screens should work to actual fact. I honestly wonder why you are even arguing with me unless you have a better way of doing widescreen resolutions with games with fov.

:D
And you don't see how silly you are being?

You can't be serious... That argument isn't even relevant... That "argument" could say something about why you would want a widescreen monitor. But it says nothing about whether the FOV in game should be fixed by horizontal FOV or vertical FOV. The aspect ratio of the monitor itself isn't enough to make any sense of that statement.

I've mentioned many times the correct way of doing this, there are many reasons not to choose the correct way though. Compromises and optimizations can lead to a certain aspect ratio being favored in implementation - whatever is ultimately choosed will not be wrong just because you prefer the other.

But you are right. I don't know why I'm arguing. Answering your last post just made me feel retarted.

Last edited:
You are sending 1920x1200 game resolution to a 1920x1080 LCD monitor.

If you don't see a problem with that we have nothing to talk about.

???????????????????!!
Hey, my friend!
I am saying: 16:9 monitor is displaying 16:9 game. Isn't it clear?:)
OK.
1920x1080 monitor is displaying a game set to 1920x1080 mode.
1920x1200 monitor is displaying the same game set to the same mode (1920x1080).
What is wrong?

88478216.jpg

That' because that game has crappy widescreen support.

Check this out:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.co...?p=28279&sid=5ed72a2e121563ef310e5d2a48f7f95b

That's true widescreen gaming

Everybody should agree that when you go from 4:3 to 16:10 for proper widescreen you should get Hor+ and not Vert-. Hor+ requires a fov increase to maintain the correct image ratio

If that is true then it follows 16:10 to 16:9 should get Hor+ as well.
you've convinced me, but it is kinda hard to grasp since the number of pixels is the same (1920 vs 1920)

have you guys forgot something? what about the image quality on the 2711s, isn't the picture quality better?

have you guys forgot something? what about the image quality on the 2711s, isn't the picture quality better?

Why would it be? The 3008WFP already has the latest 30" 2560x1600 panel available afaik and there have been few improvements in panel technology. If you can get them for the same price I'd get the one with more screen real estate and resolution, otherwise I'd probably save the $500 and go for the 2711.

As for gaming, I haven't been able to find a difference between my 3008WFP A02 rev and my Sony KDL40V4000 HDTV (according to HDTVTest.co.uk it should have 0-10 ms input lag) when set to mirror mode and same resolution.

The U2711 has a higher dpi than the 3008WFP. Does it mean it's got a higher picture quality? Dunno :p

Thank you guys for all your help, i'm going to go with the 3008 - the price is amazing from the guy and the size will surely blow me away. plus the pics on the 10th page are real nice.

???????????????????!!
Hey, my friend!
I am saying: 16:9 monitor is displaying 16:9 game. Isn't it clear?:)
OK.
1920x1080 monitor is displaying a game set to 1920x1080 mode.
1920x1200 monitor is displaying the same game set to the same mode (1920x1080).
What is wrong?

88478216.jpg

Wow you really don't get it do you?

You have two monitors in clone mode so they display the same thing
One monitor is 1920x1200 and the other is 1920x1080.
You set the game resolution to 1920x1200.

Then you take a picture proclaiming the Hor FOV is the same.

The problem with your setup is you are sending 1920x1200 signal to a 1920x1080 LCD.

Wow you really don't get it do you?

You have two monitors in clone mode so they display the same thing
One monitor is 1920x1200 and the other is 1920x1080.
You set the game resolution to 1920x1200.

Then you take a picture proclaiming the Hor FOV is the same.

The problem with your setup is you are sending 1920x1200 signal to a 1920x1080 LCD.

Actually the monitor on the left is 16:10, so that means he's feeding it a 1920x1080 signal.
Hence the black bars above and below the in-game screen capture.

To show proper FOV, 1920x1200 should be displayed on the 16:10 display and 1920x1080 on the 16:9, otherwise the results aren't true.

Sorry you are correct. I couldn't see the black bar with the black bezel. But yeah he still is confused with the concept of FOV. Maybe he doesn't have any games that run 1920x1200 with proper FOV.

Sorry you are correct. I couldn't see the black bar with the black bezel. But yeah he still is confused with the concept of FOV. Maybe he doesn't have any games that run 1920x1200 with proper FOV.

Who is confused???

My friend, I see the only poster here who is confused. ;)

He is not confused; He is just flat wrong. I don't see anybody in here agreing with him.

Dave

I have both the 3008wfp and 2 u2711s.

I game primarily on the 3008wfp, don't notice any lag and im into twitch gaming. I use the u2711s mainly for watching blurays and such.

The U2711 has a higher dpi than the 3008WFP. Does it mean it's got a higher picture quality? Dunno :p

Basically it just means that everything is smaller on it unless you use DPI scaling in which case you might get a bit sharper picture. But with DPI scaling you of course lose screen real estate vs better readability. I'd say that the 3008WFP's 16:10 and higher vertical resolution are more useful than high DPI.

Quick question to all the 3008 owners.

I was looking at on connections on the 3008 and I was wondering what do I use to connect it? I see it has display port and hdmi port. I have a gtx295 that does not have a dp connection but does have an hdmi. Should i use that? or should i get an hdmi to dp cable or dvi to dp cable?

Basically it just means that everything is smaller on it unless you use DPI scaling in which case you might get a bit sharper picture. But with DPI scaling you of course lose screen real estate vs better readability. I'd say that the 3008WFP's 16:10 and higher vertical resolution are more useful than high DPI.

I'd say it's personal preference, hence the "dunno" :) I also like the color calibration of the U2711, though it's a non-factor for gaming purposes.

Quick question to all the 3008 owners.

I was looking at on connections on the 3008 and I was wondering what do I use to connect it? I see it has display port and hdmi port. I have a gtx295 that does not have a dp connection but does have an hdmi. Should i use that? or should i get an hdmi to dp cable or dvi to dp cable?

You could use HDMI/HDMI, HDMI/DVI, DVI/HDMI. I tend to stay away from VGA etc. The easiest is probably just HDMI/HDMI. Assuming you are not using your monitor for sound (i.e. optional attached speaker unit), I think any of the above combination's would work fine. Probably depends more on what cables you have lying around the house.

I don't think there is any point in you using the DP connection. Unless of course you are going eyefinity (with an active adapter).

You could use HDMI/HDMI, HDMI/DVI, DVI/HDMI. I tend to stay away from VGA etc. The easiest is probably just HDMI/HDMI. Assuming you are not using your monitor for sound (i.e. optional attached speaker unit), I think any of the above combination's would work fine. Probably depends more on what cables you have lying around the house.

I don't think there is any point in you using the DP connection. Unless of course you are going eyefinity (with an active adapter).

Ok thanks I was just worried, I remember reading that this thing needed two dvi connections.

Maybe you are confused. When I say dual link dvi it doesn't mean 2 dvi connectors. Its a single dvi connector with "dual links" within it. It just doubles the bandwidth per connection.

What video card do you use? Most modern ones have 2 dual link dvis out the back

Oops, my mistake. Forgot about that. Have HDMI for my 24" and DVI-D for my 30"

I have a gtx 295 with duel dvi and one hdmi.

What i'm asking is do i connect the both dvi's on the graphics side or the monitor side?

Neither; just use one Dual-Link cable. They look like a standard DVI cable, but they are pinned out differently.

Dave

If you don't have one, search for DVI-D cables. Just one cable going from DVI to DVI.

So i was going to get a 3008 but now this guy has 10 3007-hc rev02 in should i bite @$717

So i was going to get a 3008 but now this guy has 10 3007-hc rev02 in should i bite @$717

I ordered 3008WFP and they said it is back ordered. They offered a refund. I own two 3007wfp-hc, so far so good. I wish the warranty was at least two years.

The graphics on the 2711 are unbelievable. With that said I would either get 24" or 30", because the 27" does not feel much bigger than 24".

I am a developer, though, not a gamer.

Back