Dell 27" 5K Monitor (5120x2880)

What they need to focus on is applying scaling properly. A higher pixel density doesn't mean that everything needs to be much smaller. If you could get a 27" 4k monitor that looks exactly like a more sharp 1440p display, we would be in big time business.
That's what you get with the Mac. Microsoft still has a ways to go to catchup with Apple in desktop scaling.

That's what you get with the Mac. Microsoft still has a ways to go to catchup with Apple in desktop scaling.
The problem is that Microsoft has decades of legacy software that the OS supports.
Apple don't care and will happily prevent old applications from running on newer iterations of the OS.

And their method of handling non-integer scaling is awful, resulting in the whole screen being rendered as a blurry mess, instead of rendering at the native resolution of the display.
With OS X it's 1x or 2x scale, nothing in-between.
With Windows, arbitrary scales are supported. 1x and 2x are still best, but at least you are not stuck at those.

It's really a software issue these days, rather than an operating system issue.
It's just that Mac developers seem to keep their software more up-to-date. (they have to, if they want people to keep buying it, or put it on the App Store)
Until high-DPI displays become standard, most Windows developers don't care to support it.
And I've seen huge numbers of people buying high-DPI displays for use with Windows PCs, and then just using them at 1x scale with the screen inches from their face instead of using scaling.

Ryankirsch13, try turning off Aero and then setting 200% font scaling using Control Panel. You may also want to turn off anti-aliasing (font smoothing / ClearType). This works almost perfectly for me. It does indeed look like a super-sharp 1440p display.

Apple have refreshed the retina iMac. It still has the same 5120x2880 resolution but the panel has changed to one with better backlighting for a wider colour gamut. See http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/13/9512503/apple-imac-update-27-inch-5k-price-release-date-specs

I wonder whether we will see a UP2715K Mark II based on this panel or if it will be Apple-only?

I think Dell is gonna stick with the 15k until sometime next year. There's only 2 or 3 competitors (AFAIK) and it doesn't seem like they have many advantages over the Dell. Assuming the next gen of GPUs have Diplayport 1.3, I'm guessing it'll come out around that time.

I'm thinking about picking up a 4k monitor for now. It'll be good enough until bigger/better 5k comes out.

Some more notes about font scaling, this time with Windows 10. It does not give you the option to turn off Aero. There are two different ways of setting the scaling. The one it tries to make you use has the advantage of being set independently for each monitor, but it doesn't work that well - many programs (including the control panel Display window itself) end up crudely pixel-scaled, so text looks blocky. What you need to do instead is to 'set a custom scaling level (not recommended)'. Setting this to 200% gives the same behaviour as in Windows 7 and XP, where fonts and UI elements (in most programs) are displayed at double size and rendered smoothly. One difference from earlier Windows versions is that the command prompt window is also resized, even when using bitmap fonts - it gets pixel doubling unfortunately. But everything else seems fine.

Some more notes about font scaling, this time with Windows 10. It does not give you the option to turn off Aero. There are two different ways of setting the scaling. The one it tries to make you use has the advantage of being set independently for each monitor, but it doesn't work that well - many programs (including the control panel Display window itself) end up crudely pixel-scaled, so text looks blocky. What you need to do instead is to 'set a custom scaling level (not recommended)'. Setting this to 200% gives the same behaviour as in Windows 7 and XP, where fonts and UI elements (in most programs) are displayed at double size and rendered smoothly. One difference from earlier Windows versions is that the command prompt window is also resized, even when using bitmap fonts - it gets pixel doubling unfortunately. But everything else seems fine.
This is done because rendering at 1x and scaling up as an image, which is unfiltered at integer scales, is what's required for scaling to work everywhere across all applications.
The old way of scaling things up broke the UI in a huge number of applications, because they were not built for it.
It's best to use the new method of scaling and then using the compatibility options for programs which do work without breaking when using the old method of scaling.

This only applies to "legacy" applications which are not flagged as being "DPI Aware" of course. A DPI aware application will be rendered natively at the current scale, instead of being rendered at 1x and scaled up as an image.

The old way of scaling things up broke the UI in a huge number of applications, because they were not built for it.
That must be the reason - but from my experience such applications, while surely there are many, are not that likely to come up in everyday use. Pretty much everything runs fine with 200% font scaling, which I have been using since Windows XP. (Non-integer scaling factors like 150% are another matter, I grant.) In fact the font scaling setting goes back to Windows 3.x at least, so pretty much every application is built to support it. There are some odd programs which don't scale icons or user interface elements properly, but I have not experienced any major application doing so.

All I can say is try both modes of scaling and see which one you like best. For me, the 'not recommended' way gives the best results with the applications I use.

Sorry to resurrect this thread. Does anyone have experience running this screen with a Pascal-based GPU and custom resolutions - e.g. letterboxed 21:9 - 5120x2160, 2560x1080 or similar?

The scaling has changed again in Windows 10 Creators Update. Now the older font scaling mechanism dating from Windows 3.x has been removed from the settings app and control panel. The only choice appears to be the new-style scaling. (The 'custom scaling level' looks like it would be the thing, but isn't -- it's just a way to apply the new-style scaling across all monitors.)

However, all is not lost. You can enable font scaling on a per-application basis. Right-click -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Scaling performed by: Application. For example I found that MSSQL Management Studio (even the latest version) displayed with pixellated text. After changing this setting it once again renders smoothly. Annoying that you have to do this for each application (I would prefer to set it as a default), but manageable.

One of my UP2715Ks developed a display fault - a vertical blue dashed line running down the display. But then the fault disappeared again. Perhaps a dry soldered joint which got connected again when the monitor warmed up and some things expanded with the heat? Has anyone else seen something similar?

One of my UP2715Ks developed a display fault - a vertical blue dashed line running down the display. But then the fault disappeared again. Perhaps a dry soldered joint which got connected again when the monitor warmed up and some things expanded with the heat? Has anyone else seen something similar?

The reason for vertical lines like this is usually a bonding failure of the flat flex chip-on-tape to the glass. It is only fixable with very specialized equipment and usally isnt even attempted. The attachment isn't solder, but is thermally cured epoxy with tiny conductive balls in it.

Contact dell. I don't know the cause on this monitor, but my old 2407(8?) wfp had that happen after it was out of warranty, and I believe i read it was capacitor issue. The problem has gotten worse over time, but once it warms up, the problem goes away. Again, call dell and ask for a replacement. Take pictures of it when it happens, just in case they try to weasel their way out of it.

Good riddance on these things, we had over a 20% failure rate on them.

Actually, I bought the monitor cheap with the known screen defect, so I'm pleased to find that it fixes itself when it warms up. I have three other UP2715Ks which haven't developed any faults in the past year or two of use (if that anecdote has any validity). It does appear that "they don't make 'em like they used to" -- both this screen and the 24 inch, 4k UP2414Q are said to be a bit grotty on the inside, certainly compared to the battleship-like IBM T221s I used before. But that is true of almost any electronic device; get off my lawn, etc etc.

Actually, I bought the monitor cheap with the known screen defect, so I'm pleased to find that it fixes itself when it warms up. I have three other UP2715Ks which haven't developed any faults in the past year or two of use (if that anecdote has any validity). It does appear that "they don't make 'em like they used to" -- both this screen and the 24 inch, 4k UP2414Q are said to be a bit grotty on the inside, certainly compared to the battleship-like IBM T221s I used before. But that is true of almost any electronic device; get off my lawn, etc etc.

T221s were fun. I tried to "repair" some T221s with lines by adding some closed cell foam to squeeze down on the glass<=>flex bond points. The idea was that it would get warmer and expand, compressing the joint to imrpove contact. It sort of worked.

If you still have some T221s, I created an overclocking mod guide for them on my picasa. Its old, but kind of fun heh.

so, since the dell has been discontinued is there another option for a 27" 5k monitor?

I wonder why they've been discontinued. Apple's is quite expensive. I was hoping Dell would've driven the prices down on the 5k monitor to ~$800.

I wonder why they've been discontinued. Apple's is quite expensive. I was hoping Dell would've driven the prices down on the 5k monitor to ~$800.
I hope it's because they're being replaced with a newer model that supports DP 1.3/1.4 so that a single cable can be used.

With the ambient temperature dropping below about 24 degrees C, the line of stuck pixels on my faulty UP2715K has returned :-(

I am using this monitor for about 6 months for 4K gaming and i have never seen a better monitor on my Eyes

Glossy finish let the monitor to have great colors. Also even if it has 8ms response Time i have never seen ghosting.

My next monitor Will be like this But with HDR. i am not sure if ever Will be released something like that...

Back