Dell 27" 5K Monitor (5120x2880)

Vega, what's the visible effect of what you mention? Do you mean the backlight flickers?

Vega, what's the visible effect of what you mention? Do you mean the backlight flickers?

Disregard, I made an error with a new way to test and I went back to the old way with a proper camera and confirmed it is zero PWM. :p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is there any info on it? If hey have wide gamut, I'm interested. 31.5 is definitely more interesting than 27". Be awesome if it has DP 1.3 too

Not so far....hope it still comes.

I have the same monitor in 4k and would LOVE 5k at this size. Think it's the perfect size for perfect 2x (so 1440p basically, but everything silky smooth looking)

That would help.

Let's also throw in an OLED panel and get a single GPU powerful enough to drive it :D

Damn, LG's paper-thin OLED at 54" 2880p simply attached to the wall with double-side tape would be awesome! :eek:

Picked one of these up at Walmart of all places

x8yjXj2m.jpg

will post some impressions after a little use, but damn if text in Win 8.1 isn't tiny @ 5k:eek:

My goodness - Walmart!??

....5k monitor at Walmart!? lol That is as unlikely as it can get.

May I ask what they charged for it?

I really doubt that is from a WalMart as the shipping waybill from Dell is right there on the box.

Picked one of these up at Walmart of all places

x8yjXj2m.jpg

will post some impressions after a little use, but damn if text in Win 8.1 isn't tiny @ 5k:eek:

I wish stores had these set up so you could see what they look without scaling. I think it'd be a close call for me. Still think that LG would be a better size.

There's been more news for LM315QQ1 in April
Its AdobeRGB gamut and 1300:1 contrast ratio.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/33.htm#lg.display_panels

tftcentral said:
We also have some updates on the 31.5" sized 5k resolution IPS panel we discussed back in January. We now know the panel part will be the LM315QQ1 and the specs have been updated as follows - 5120 x 2880 resolution, 16ms G2G response time (may be improved with overdrive circuits), 1300:1 contrast ratio (high for an IPS panel!), 350 cd/m2 brightness, 178/178 viewing angles, Adobe RGB colour space. It's not due to go into production until Q3 so don't expect to see any monitors with it for a while, probably not until the end of the year at best. Likely to be very high end and expensive given the specs of the panel.

Is it normal for panels to start production almost 1/2 year before they are available to the customers? Unless Q3 is actually closer to Q4, i'd think they'd be out by early Q4

well, i guess you have to account for the time to develop and test an overdrive circuit, i think the electronics are not made by the panel manufacturer, but rather by the display manufacturer.

then housing, quality control, etc etc etc etc i don't think it's THAT simple :)

well, i guess you have to account for the time to develop and test an overdrive circuit, i think the electronics are not made by the panel manufacturer, but rather by the display manufacturer.

then housing, quality control, etc etc etc etc i don't think it's THAT simple :)

True, but in this case, I think the panel MFG and the display MFG are LG. That may not matter (I know nothing about this process), but I would think that'd mean LG can do this a lot quicker than, for example, Dell.

Impressions after a couple days of use-

couple pics-

Small ass text with Windows 8.1-
(basically unreadable)

OZMSkJFl.jpg

Witcher 3-

4I1n98Fl.jpg

BorderLands TaleTell-

5OyUeSJl.jpg

MK-

P09ABBql.jpg

+
+Insane clarity at 5k, games, photos, and desktop are ridiculously sharp
+Glossy
+Minimal back light bleed (mine has a small amount in left corner, but nothing bad)
+No noticeable input lag
+Great colors and contrast, fantastic blacks for an IPS
+VESA mountable and always solid universal Dell stand

-
-Motion clarity is average to poor
-Thick bezel
-Windows 8.1 scaling is nearly unusable, web pages require zooming, and desktop icons are tiny(Sounds like Windows 10 will fix this)
-Too expensive at the moment(I paid $1800+tax new)
-Double display port connection only
-Too small, needs to be 30"-32"
-Needs a ton of GPU to power(currently running SLI Titan X's, and even then I can only get 20fps in Witcher 3, other less demanding games: HOTS, COD AW, Mortal Kombat, DOTA2 will run at 60fps locked)
-Only 60hz

Overall this monitor is pretty awesome, 5k looks stunning. I can definitely notice a difference in sharpness between this and my other 2 monitors(Philips 40" 4k & Acer XB270HU 1440p Gsync)
The DPI is so high on this it makes every other monitor look blurry. Games in general look so sharp even with out AA. This monitor gives me the same giddy feeling I got using an original DELL 30" 1600p monitor for the first time. Games just look so damn clean.

Dumping my Philips 4k and making this my new main(at least until the 32" LG comes out:p)

Last edited:
I have had good results (on both Windows XP and Windows 7) with 200% font scaling. Go to Control Panel -> Display -> Set custom text size (DPI). On Windows 7 and 8 you should also try disabling Aero. With this done, pretty much everything scales correctly and cleanly.

HP's 5k monitor, the Z27q, is now shipping. I believe it uses the same panel as the UP2715K. But its retail price seems to be a bit lower. Has anyone tried it?

Impressions after a couple days of use-

Dumping my Philips 4k and making this my new main(at least until the 32" LG comes out:p)

Great info... btw, what LG are you talking about?

Also, how does gaming look at 2560x1440? or 4k. Blurry?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
One of my two UP2715Ks has broken today. It only displays the right hand half of the screen, stretched horizontally. At first I suspected a driver bug, but another UP2715K connected to the same PC with the same cable works fine. I have asked Dell to replace it under warranty.

One of my two UP2715Ks has broken today. It only displays the right hand half of the screen, stretched horizontally. At first I suspected a driver bug, but another UP2715K connected to the same PC with the same cable works fine. I have asked Dell to replace it under warranty.

Yikes - That's exactly the fear on the "2 panels in 1" type of Monitor setups. Glad warranty has you covered!

I think I'm waiting for 5k to come to a single panel and single cable solution.

Yikes - That's exactly the fear on the "2 panels in 1" type of Monitor setups. Glad warranty has you covered!

I think I'm waiting for 5k to come to a single panel and single cable solution.

Well, there is the 5K iMac, but that also requires tossing out your existing computer. :p

Simply speaking, single-cable 5K for dedicated monitors will likely depend on the Thunderbolt 3 spec rolling out in earnest. Even Apple's solution requires a custom timing controller to work.

I did have a 5K iMac and while it is a sight to behold, BUT it just doesn't have the horsepower required to get it done.

Yikes - That's exactly the fear on the "2 panels in 1" type of Monitor setups.

Oh, it's a single panel. In fact I am not aware of any 4k or 5k monitor that has two separate panels (the Dell UP2414Q and similar 4k monitors is a single panel too). Presenting it as two separate screens over two separate DisplayPort connections is to get around a limitation in the cable bandwidth, or in the case of the UP2414Q, in the monitor's electronics. But the panel is one piece.

I've found the UP2715K to be a lot less problematic than the UP2414Q. Mine have either worked, or simply broken as this one did.

What they need to focus on is applying scaling properly. A higher pixel density doesn't mean that everything needs to be much smaller. If you could get a 27" 4k monitor that looks exactly like a more sharp 1440p display, we would be in big time business.

Back